Demarcus Lawrence Contract Disaster

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Donald has 8,Kmack has 6.5 Vmiller 5.5 Tank 5.0

a lot of dudes who are making bank are all in similar stat situation..

yes a down year for sacks but hes been playing hard and getting pressure, plays the run and has worth..maybe next year he has 15..
Just lets me know people would call Mack overpaid too.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He is playing at an all pro level in the run game...do you even watch the games?? His pass rush analytics are the same as last yr in terms of hurries and pressures!
He's currently the 2nd highest rated Dallas cowboys player on PFF, the only person barely ahead of him is Zack Martin who freaking makes the all-pro team every year even his rookie one.

D-Law is having a great year. He's get flack only because his first 5 games he started slow (last 7 have been more his old form)

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
So factoring in all defensive positions he’s still 9th-11th best in the entire NFL.

You know where Khalil Mack ranks?

29th in the league.

Mack only has 6.5 sacks himself.

Mack disrupts the offensive game plan in many ways besides sacks. But more importantly, every team customized their game plan based around neutralizing his pass rush.

He gets double teamed and chip blocked nearly every play. DeMarcus Lawrence does not. Opponents avoid run plays towards Khalil Mack’s gap. Opponents run in any and every gap against us.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I’d say no, the problem is people are judging a player’s value based strictly off their sack totals.

I’m not basing my opinion only on sacks. That’s a good indicator, but not the whole story.

I’m basing my opinion on the fact that he doesn’t make enough impact plays. Nobody on defense does tbh...maybe Quinn I suppose.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score
He's avoiding most of the team's criticism this year due to all the other major issues, but his contract is looking like a historically bad deal within the 1st year of the deal.

Demarcus Lawrence is the #1 paid DE through the entire length of his contract, 2023. He received the same guaranteed money as Khalil Mack, which is also tied for the most guaranteed money a defensive player has ever received.

Even is he was playing at a pro-bowl level, this would still be considered poor value. However, he's not even playing up to the level of an average / journeyman type defensive end.

He was always a high motor, effort player. Historically, the only DEs who sustained long term success in the NFL are a world class athletes. He's not. This is an issue for the top paid D-lineman on the wrong side of 30.
Why does he get a pass?

Noclaf

Reaction score
I'm sitting here reading this, and in the last 9 games this team is 3-6, no one on this team is getting paid what they should, the wins are not there

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m not basing my opinion only on sacks. That’s a good indicator, but not the whole story.

I’m basing my opinion on the fact that he doesn’t make enough impact plays. Nobody on defense does tbh...maybe Quinn I suppose.

I’d say TFL are impact plays. He’s Top 10 in the league in that category. He’s got more combined TFL than Quinn too btw.

There’s no way getting around it, if you’re Top 10 in TFL among all defensive players regardless of position you’re making an impact.

Last edited:

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You understand there is no meaningful difference between a sack for a 5-yard loss and tackling the RB for a 5-yard loss.

There is a much higher % chance of fumbles on sacks. And there is this little thing called QB pressures that affect the play that he is also getting very little of.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's avoiding most of the team's criticism this year due to all the other major issues, but his contract is looking like a historically bad deal within the 1st year of the deal.

Demarcus Lawrence is the #1 paid DE through the entire length of his contract, 2023. He received the same guaranteed money as Khalil Mack, which is also tied for the most guaranteed money a defensive player has ever received.

Even is he was playing at a pro-bowl level, this would still be considered poor value. However, he's not even playing up to the level of an average / journeyman type defensive end.

He was always a high motor, effort player. Historically, the only DEs who sustained long term success in the NFL are a world class athletes. He's not. This is an issue for the top paid D-lineman on the wrong side of 30.

You are way off. He started slow but has been playing at a pro bowl level. He ranks #4 in the NFL among DE's against the run, and overall he's #10. If you adjust for the slow start, he's even higher.

Last edited:

Wood

Reaction score

Next HC will have something to say about this.