DeMarcus Lawrence feels disrespected according to Jane Slater

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The one guy that has earned his payday more than anyone and the team is unable to get a deal done:

This has been obvious for a while now.

The Witten thing might have been the very last straw.

I know if I played with my arm hanging off for an entire year while Witten did nothing and came right back in like he never left, I would be a little miffed.

Sydla

Reaction score
As someone who wants him back, it's all relative.

If he feels disrespected because they didn't give him the largest contract every to a 4-3 DE (or give him Mack money), then he's being unrealistic.

If the team gave him an offer that was a low ball offer thinking they would get a home town discount, then that's on them.

It's hard to really know what's going on here.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been obvious for a while now.

The Witten thing might have been the very last straw.

I know if I played with my arm hanging off for an entire year while Witten did nothing and came right back in like he never left, I would be a little miffed.

You would be miffed just waking up and remembering you are fan of the Cowboys lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
IMO its like the second Dez contract, both sides are going to wait until the market is set and then match what is out there. DLaw's agent wants Dallas to set the market but that kind of thing is old Jerry, not new Stephen.

Dante Fowler just got $14MM for one year.

The Cowboys are likely going to find that the "market" isn't going to be in their favor at DE, IMO.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If he played offense, he would have been paid. They had no issues in making Smith, TFred, Martin the highest paid at there positions when they came up for contracts.
Murray didn't get paid.

There are made men and then there are the rest.

You can tell who gets to crash the family portrait. They get signed for life. You know, like Jeff Heath.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As someone who wants him back, it's all relative.

If he feels disrespected because they didn't give him the largest contract every to a 4-3 DE (or give him Mack money), then he's being unrealistic.

If the team gave him an offer that was a low ball offer thinking they would get a home town discount, then that's on them.

It's hard to really know what's going on here.

One part that is undeniable. The Cowboys failed miserably to anticipate the market for defensive linemen and get ahead of this thing.

They could have gotten a deal done based around the $17 million a year Olivier Vernon got with the Giants. But they waited, and the Mack and Donald deals reset the market.

That's on the Cowboys.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The one guy that has earned his payday more than anyone and the team is unable to get a deal done:

"Disrespected" would be not even tagging him and letting him walk. They're willing to pay him $20 million this season, if nothing else. There's also time to work out a longer contract.

Where do I sign up for that sort of disrespect?

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is playing the same hardball the FO is. And D-Law isn’t doing anything. He gets the info his agent feeds him. If SJ has anything to do with it then he won’t be over spending. It’s about to get real though.

Sydla

Reaction score
If he played offense, he would have been paid. They had no issues in making Smith, TFred, Martin the highest paid at there positions when they came up for contracts.

A few things to note here.

One, OL tend to last longer and be highly productive in later years than most positions. Also, none of those three have been suspended for failing a drug test. And when they signed their extensions, I don't believe any of the three had a back issue or shoulder problem that keeps cropping up. Smith's back issues really came into light after his extension, I believe.