DeMarcus Lawrence feels disrespected according to Jane Slater

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
One part that is undeniable. The Cowboys failed miserably to anticipate the market for defensive linemen and get ahead of this thing.

They could have gotten a deal done based around the $17 million a year Olivier Vernon got with the Giants. But they waited, and the Mack and Donald deals reset the market.

That's on the Cowboys.

That happens every year, though, due to the increase in the cap.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The one guy that has earned his payday more than anyone and the team is unable to get a deal done:

Zach Martin agreed to his extension last June. When Tyron Smith got an extension it was in July. Frederick's extension was in August.

Dallas has Lawrence tagged right now, so there's simply no hurry to get a long-term deal done. They have until July 15 to get a deal done, and it won't surprise me if it doesn't happen until that week. Jerry has said in the past that he feels the deadline pressure forces the team and players to sit down and get it worked out.

John813

Reaction score

Yeah but every single one of you wanted "him to prove it again"

Ugh

Too lazy to look it up, but I believe that was the thought of the majority here, unless he took a discount below what Vernon got.

Now, the Vernon deal is chump change lol.

condoin125

Reaction score
Of course it happened. Lol. Go back and research it. The Cowboys tried to sign him.
I don't need to go back and look because I actually know what I'm talking about. It's common knowledge that prior to the 2018 season that they did not try to sign him...they franchised him in order to make him prove that 2017 was not an anomaly. Everyone knows this and you would have too if you didn't spend so much time hating on Dez during that period.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Too lazy to look it up, but I believe that was the thought of the majority here, unless he took a discount below what Vernon got.

Now, the Vernon deal is chump change lol.

No you dont have to look it up, that's what I was saying in my post. Almost every single person outside of me and a couple others wanted him signed instead of the F tag.

You're right that is chump change

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'm so sick of players saying they feel disrespected when the can make 20 mil on a 1 year deal and be set for life. I feel they are disrepecting the privilege to play in the NFL an make a lot of money.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm so sick of players saying they feel disrespected when the can make 20 mil on a 1 year deal and be set for life. I feel they are disrepecting the privilege to play in the NFL an make a lot of money.
Made 17 last year. After this year he will have made over 40 million in his short career.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zach Martin agreed to his extension last June. When Tyron Smith got an extension it was in July. Frederick's extension was in August.

Dallas has Lawrence tagged right now, so there's simply no hurry to get a long-term deal done. They have until July 15 to get a deal done, and it won't surprise me if it doesn't happen until that week. Jerry has said in the past that he feels the deadline pressure forces the team and players to sit down and get it worked out.

Did it "get worked out" last year at that same deadline?
:huh:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
We can lament the fact the Cowboys could have gotten D-Law for $17 million per last season; but after the Mack, Donald, and now Flowers deals we are assuming he wouldn't ask for a restructured contract worth more money and hold out to get it.

I'm getting tired of the D-Law saga. If the Cowboys can trade him and get that $20.7 million back I wish they would do it.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't need to go back and look because I actually know what I'm talking about. It's common knowledge that prior to the 2018 season that they did not try to sign him...they franchised him in order to make him prove that 2017 was not an anomaly. Everyone knows this and you would have too if you didn't spend so much time hating on Dez during that period.

You must not have been paying attention. It happened. They couldn't reach a deal, so Lawrence pulled out of negotiations and said he would play under the tag and would not negotiate any further. You guys should have seen this coming. Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it so. Lol.