Twitter: Demarcus Lawrence has reported

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yeah but the odds are already stacked against them. He has to battle guys like Noah Brown and Cedric Wilson who were draft picks.

Correct then if you make the practice squad whats the pay difference? Now one thing that could hurt is if a wave does hit the Cowboys your already there and ready to step in..... Assuming a wave like that doesn't shut the team down.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Correct then if you make the practice squad whats the pay difference? Now one thing that could hurt is if a wave does hit the Cowboys your already there and ready to step in..... Assuming a wave like that doesn't shut the team down.

That is something that could hurt them. If a wave comes in....

But this whole thing makes no sense. Like these guys are always around each other in meetings....if guys get it won't it take out the whole position room?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s the main reason he opted out. Not having any preseason game tape to put out there for other teams really puts these undrafted rookies behind the eight ball. It’s going to be very difficult for any of them to make teams based strictly off of practices and scrimmages. There’s only so many opportunities they’re going to get in practice with 80 players. Some players are gamers that’s where they shine. All it takes is a couple of really good plays in a preseason game for a rookie to make a team or another team. With the situation we’re in most teams are going to stay with their draft picks.
It was telling when Adam Thielen said if he came into the NFL this year he wouldn't have made it in the NFL.

People love to knock preseason but it really does help a lot of guys and gems.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He has to battle guys like Noah Brown and Cedric Wilson who were draft picks.

This will be Noah Brown’s last shot. McCarthy and his staff isn’t tied to him. If he can’t stay healthy and doesn’t show consistency he won’t make the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was telling when Adam Thielen said if he came into the NFL this year he wouldn't have made it in the NFL.

People love to knock preseason but it really does help a lot of guys and gems.

Preseason games are for rookies that’s how they make teams. Shining in preseason games is what gave Dak his opportunity. Reports were he wasn’t that good in practice but he shined in preseason games. Terrell Davis made the Broncos off a special teams play in a preseason game.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That is something that could hurt them. If a wave comes in....

But this whole thing makes no sense. Like these guys are always around each other in meetings....if guys get it won't it take out the whole position room?

Yes, that would make the most sense that the whole room gets it for sure

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe he had conversations with his wife. What makes me wonder: he first makes a decission to not participate. Now he changes it. didnt he made the decission with his wife together the first time?

No i dont believe that it was about talking it over. Maybe they talked together but not because of the possible infection by the corona virus. I do think now that the league made it clear people will lose money when they opt out he decided that the well being of his wife and child wasnt that important ;-). The danger of the corona virus was just a welcomed reason to sit out training camp again.

Regardless of what their conversations involved, it's a good bet that it was based upon the pros and cons of the entire spectrum of the situation. I'm sure the NFL's conditions about the financial ramifications had the effect of changing their original attraction to opting out. They stood to lose multi-millions, after all. People with families have to consider everything to do with what's best for all. The pandemic initiated it and the NFL's edicts brought it to yet other ideas, obviously. Let's also be aware they still have some time left to opt out if they so choose. I doubt they will, in view of the $$$ situation, though.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This will be Noah Brown’s last shot. McCarthy and his staff isn’t tied to him. If he can’t stay healthy and doesn’t show consistency he won’t make the team.
I agree. But scouts and the GM who liked him still are here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Preseason games are for rookies that’s how they make teams. Shining in preseason games is what gave Dak his opportunity. Reports were he wasn’t that good in practice but he shined in preseason games. Terrell Davis made the Broncos off a special teams play in a preseason game.
Dak is another guy who probably wouldn't have made it if not for preseason. I remember there was a time when he and Jameil Showers were battling.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak is another guy who probably wouldn't have made it if not for preseason. I remember there was a time when he and Jameil Showers were battling.

Even had there been no preseason games in 2016 NO WAY were the Cowboys going to release Dak. They invested a fourth round draft pick on him with every intention of developing him and giving him a chance. Even some of the undrafted rookie QBs we brought in were given at least two seasons. Mike White looked awful from day one and was given two seasons.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree. But scouts and the GM who liked him still are here.

They liked him enough in 2017 to make him a seventh round draft pick. I can assure you whatever the scouts and Jerry thought of him then they won’t be thinking the same thing now if he continues to have injury and inconsistency issues. We’re loaded at WR and Brown is heading into his fourth season, it’s going to be do or die with the Cowboys in 2020. Just last summer the team cut loose of a first round draft pick after only three years. Jerry didn’t bring McCarthy in here to force players on him that he doesn’t want. Brown has been given every opportunity and he’s going to have to perform under this new HC or it’s buh-bye!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Not saying you're wrong or right, just saying the reason for caution he has is very legit in 100% of homes in this country, some have the luxury of a choice and some need to pay the rent is really the difference.

Guy earns 20 mils per anno. He will find a solution for his problem. Heck he could rent a whole hospital if he had some signs of illness.

This guy is such a fake.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don’t know how many fans have seen what the NFL is allowing regarding “opt out” players. The NFL and the NFLPA made an agreement a few weeks ago that allows any NFL player to choose not play this season based on pre-determined conditions. Those players choosing to opt out for the season who are under contract will be paid a one time stipend between $150,000 and 350,000 depending on veteran status.

Players have to decide before an upcoming deadline if they choose to opt out. Currently, there are nearly 30 players across the league that have chosen to avoid the season, including two spare backup players from the Cowboys, Maurice Canady and Stephen Guidry.

Veteran Players opting out for health reasons must qualify based on current/prior health conditions such as cancer, sickle cell anemia, type 1 and 2 diabetes, asthma, Kidney disease, etc. Qualifications can also include those with immediate family members with these conditions.

That statement is what i was referring to.

Flamma

Reaction score
I believe he's got a pregnant wife and is concerned about that, which I wouldn't blame him for one bit. This thing hits some people differently and some minorities are seemingly at greater risk.

Well, this is what Dlaw contemplated.

blueblood70

Reaction score
no also bubble guys coming off injuries or vets needing to prove themselves to me TWO PS GAMES ARE NECCESSARY..