Demarcus Lawrence wants at least $17 mil per year

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If he wants 17 mill then you have to franchise tag and make him prove it again.

If Dez Bryant can takes 3 steps back like he did when he got his money, along with several other Cowboys, then Demarcus Lawrence is no safe bet either.

Tag him and make him do it again.

This is the most logical approach.................tag him and make him prove it was not a fluke season

I am always weary of giving guys big money when they don't do jack until their contract year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why wouldn't he ask for what Vernon got?

He shouldn't, not if he has a good agent................I don't think anybody is saying that what he is asking for is unreasonable given his production.

The main question everybody has is if this was a fluke season or is he a legit top 5 DE.

The only way to answer that question is to tag him and make him do it again next season. If he has back to back seasons of 15+ sacks then you back up the Brink's truck, not just off one year of production.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
could they give him, say a base salary of $11M or 12M guaranteed and an incentive of $250K/sack?

That's $5.625M to tie the NFL record (22.5). Then cap his salary at $18M (would need 24-28 sacks)

He would be in full control of how much money he makes b/c unlike WRs/RBs/TEs/QBs that need a lot of moving parts to work for them to put up numbers, a DE can really do a lot of solo work to get their stats up

Lawrence would never take that but he'd be real cool if he did

No offense, but no agent in their right mind would let their client sign a contract like that.

Cebrin

Reaction score
He and Irving are almost locks to be back
No one is giving up 2 rd 1 picks for Lawrence or a second rd pick for Irving

And as much as I would like it, were not taking a real 1T DT high because we gave idiots in our FO
Trenches are deep this draft. I just hope we take one, period.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why blame Gregory? Blame the bloody idiots who drafted him. Not like it was any secret that he liked his weed. Wasn't like it was, oh man, that Randy Gregory is a nice whole milk drinking saint.......damn, he smoked weed, we never knew.

Exactly...................people being mad at Gregory because he smokes weed 24/7. Its not like it was a secret nobody knew about, he failed so many drug tests at Nebraska they literally stopped testing him. Then he shows up at the combine, the most important job interview that he will have in his entire life, and he fails his drug test at the combine.

Think about that..........you know months in advance that you are going to be drug tested at the combine and you still cant stop from rolling up a fatty and hitting it the night before.

People with that kind of addiction typically cant flip a switch and stop overnight. So of course he fails his 100th drug test and gets suspended once he is in the league, if he could stop he would have done it by now.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Dude waits until his contract season to produce then wants that kind of $$? Man, I dunno.
3 years for pro bowl play from a small school 2nd rd pick (coached by these bums), and you're complaining? Us Dallas fans are crazy, I swear. I'd bet he's had this back issue since draft day, and they let him play with it to save face.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not worth more than 8 mil.
He is playing for $ only, and once he gets paid will be a slacker till next contract year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Trenches are deep this draft. I just hope we take one, period.
We should seriously consider going DL rounds 1 and 2. We have another chance to build a DL for the ages, which CB we tradin' up for this time?

ghostdog

Reaction score
He shouldn't, not if he has a good agent................I don't think anybody is saying that what he is asking for is unreasonable given his production.

The main question everybody has is if this was a fluke season or is he a legit top 5 DE.

The only way to answer that question is to tag him and make him do it again next season. If he has back to back seasons of 15+ sacks then you back up the Brink's truck, not just off one year of production.
He and Vernon have the same agent. Funny how that worked out.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We should seriously consider going DL rounds 1 and 2. We have another chance to build a DL for the ages, which CB we tradin' up for this time?
I'm on board with this 100% as long as we can fill the LG. Hell, other than a LG, WR and a late round RB I's stock the DL and LB positions.

Can we please get a big fatty DT one time?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of his sacks came again depleted off-lines. Tag and depending on what we see in 2018 pay and offer accordingly ....

Cebrin

Reaction score
:laugh: Claiborne 2.0. I can't be too critical on their drafting as of late. We've faired pretty well.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Then I want 17+ sacks per year, every year

You have a lot of likes on that comment but you do know that even the great Von Miller has only elapsed 17 sacks once. He
Then I want 17+ sacks per year, every year

You do know that the great Von Miller had one season of eclipsing 17 sacks. He averages just under 12 a year. JPP, Calais Campbell and Oliver Vernon all are making $17m and have never had 17 in a season and a matter of fact....each of them averages under 8 sacks a year.

The only one I think that is living up to their contract is JJ Watt. But now even is production or even career is uncertain.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just let him play out the year on the tag. Don’t commit big money to him just yet.

Edit: of course, we all know where this is going. JJ will give him a 5 year deal that’s just a shade under Vernon’s deal.
I agree he needs a second year of injury free production to make sure hes worth guaranteed money..Franchise tag one season.