Shut 'em Down
Reaction score
wow, I really hope we get this guy... :insert drool emoticon here:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He made a believer out of me when he played vs OU.
He seemed to be the only one on that defense that showed up to play. :cool:

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Try letting your A.D.D. meds kick-in before you watch it next time Pepe, maybe you can get past the 1st 8 seconds.

He's just going to be like every other UT "stud" and bust in the NFL . . .

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Midswat said:

I think this guy is legit.

Once again vs OU...he seemed like the only guy on D that showed up and did not give up...by saying Showed Up...I mean actually making plays.

Guy has impressed me. :cool:

Roughneck

Reaction score
Midswat said:
Yeah, that's right.

I mean Earl Campbell, Jerry Gray, Casey Hampton, Priest Holmes, Bobby Layne, Steve McMichael, Eric Metcalf, Tommy Nobis, Jerry Sisemore, Ricky Williams (when on the field), and Roy Williams, just to name a few, were all busts.

:rolleyes:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Lord knows I would love to see him don the revered star...

If this ends up being the case... let's hope he isn't another Quentin Coryatt...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Lord knows I would love to see him don the revered star...

If this ends up being the case... let's hope he isn't another Quentin Coryatt...

Coryatt was an Aggie, and was actually a good LB... when healthy... which wasn't often.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Yeah, that's right.

I mean Earl Campbell, Jerry Gray, Casey Hampton, Priest Holmes, Bobby Layne, Steve McMichael, Eric Metcalf, Tommy Nobis, Jerry Sisemore, Ricky Williams (when on the field), and Roy Williams, just to name a few, were all busts.

Yeah . . .

And Ken Simms, Mossy Cade, Mike Ruether, Stanly Richard, Stan Thomas, Blake Brokenmeyer, Bryant Westbrook, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams, Quintin Jammer, Bruch Sholtz, Terry Tausch, Lawrence Sampleton, Ed Williams, Doug Dawson, James Patton, Van Malone, and Derrick Dockery, just to name a few, think UT is a bust factory . . .

Roughneck

Reaction score
Midswat said:
Yeah . . .

And Ken Simms, Mossy Cade, Mike Ruether, Stanly Richard, Stan Thomas, Blake Brokenmeyer, Bryant Westbrook, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams, Quintin Jammer, Bruch Sholtz, Terry Tausch, Lawrence Sampleton, Ed Williams, Doug Dawson, James Patton, Van Malone, and Derrick Dockery, just to name a few, think UT is a bust factory . . .

Okay I proved that there were, are some great Longhorns that have played, are playing in the NFL. You proved that there are some that didn't pan out.

How does that make Texas different from almost any other Major College Football Program in the Nation?

BTW, originally you posted:
Indicating that every "stud" to come out of UT is a bust. I admit that not every Longhorn turned Pro has been a success. Do you wish to backtrack and admit that not every Longhorn turned Pro has been a bust or do you simply wish to remain wrong?

VirusX

Reaction score
Midswat said:

Riiiiiiiiiiight, This kid is going to be a Lavar Arrington type good in pass rushing coverage and run stopping. A Stud in the NFL I just hope one of our 2 top 10 picks go to this guy. ( Rolle and Johnson )

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
BTW, originally you posted:Indicating that every "stud" to come out of UT is a bust. I admit that not every Longhorn turned Pro has been a success. Do you wish to backtrack and admit that not every Longhorn turned Pro has been a bust or do you simply wish to remain wrong?

I don't wish to backtrack anything.

About 99% of Longhorn "studs" don't pan out . . .

And the ones you listed:

Earl Campbell was injury prone.
Jerry Gray . . . who?
Casey Hampton? Yeah, he plays in the NFL now. He's decent.
Priest Holmes? One of the one percent.
Bobby Layne? Vaguely rings a bell.
Steve McMichael? Average player on a great great Bears defense.
Eric Metcalf? Drafted as a wide receiver. Horrible wide receiver. Could only return punts. You can find 7th rounders to return punts.
Tommy Nobis? Who?
Jerry Sisemore? Yeah . . . he was great on Saving Private Ryan.
Ricky Williams? You really shouldn't have brought him up.
Roy Williams? 8 games into his rookie year and you're claiming him as a hero? A little desperate for names . . .eh? I could have listed Marcus Tubbs as a dud . . . but I figured it was too early in his career . . .

Roughneck

Reaction score
Midswat said:
I don't wish to backtrack anything.

About 99% of Longhorn "studs" don't pan out . . .
When did 99 out of 100 come to represent the word "every"?
And the ones you listed:

Earl Campbell was injury prone.
He also has the 17th most rushing yards in League history.
Jerry Gray . . . who?
Played 9 seasons in the League as a DB, making 4 straight Pro Bowls from 1986-1989.
Casey Hampton? Yeah, he plays in the NFL now. He's decent.
Decent Players don't go to the Pro Bowl in only their third year in the League.
Priest Holmes? One of the one percent.
......and also one of the Top 5 RBs in the League.
Bobby Layne? Vaguely rings a bell.
Played 16 seasons at QB, making 5 Pro Bowls.
Steve McMichael? Average player on a great great Bears defense.
Average my ***, dude played for 15 seasons in the League and made it to 2 Pro Bowls. He was a big part in why Da Bears Defense was so dominating.
Eric Metcalf? Drafted as a wide receiver. Horrible wide receiver. Could only return punts. You can find 7th rounders to return punts.
You can't find one of the greatest return men in NFL History there though. Metcalf still holds the NFL Record for most Career Punt Returns for a TD with 10.
Tommy Nobis? Who?
Linebacker who played 11 seasons with Atlanta, making 5 Pro Bowls.
Jerry Sisemore? Yeah . . . he was great on Saving Private Ryan.
He was even better playing 12 seasons on the OL with Philly, making 2 Pro Bowls.
Ricky Williams? You really shouldn't have brought him up.
Say what you want about his character/off the field issues but he was one of the elite RBs in the game when he left and he'll be one of the elite RBs in the League when he comes back.
Roy Williams? 8 games into his rookie year and you're claiming him as a hero?
Nobody said he was a hero but being one of the top candidates for Rookie of the Year should count him exempt from the bust pile for now.
I could have listed Marcus Tubbs as a dud . . . but I figured it was too early in his career . . .
That and I don't think it's too horrible that he's running with the second team and seeing major action in only his first year in the League.

Anything else you care for me to shoot down?

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Anything else you care for me to shoot down?

You haven't shot anything down.

UT is a big time program . . . but they never accomplish anything . . . and their players very very very very rarely translate into success stories at the next level.

Now . . . the real UT (University of Tennesse) is a juggernaut of NFL talent.

And I don't have to bring up players who only succeeded as punt returners or some guy making the Pro Bowl twice in a 15 year career as an example.

Bottom line is . . . Texas players don't have a good history. And I'd rather not risk one of our high draft picks on a player that will more than likely bust.

Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Roughneck

Reaction score
Midswat said:
You haven't shot anything down.
I shot down all your remarks on those players.
UT is a big time program . . . but they never accomplish anything . . .
As of late, you are correct as the current tenure has yet to produce a Conference Championship or a National Championship.
and their players very very very very rarely translate into success stories at the next level.
Actually they do, see my above posts.
Now . . . the real UT (University of Tennesse) is a juggernaut of NFL talent.
I'm not going to sit here and knock Tennessee, as they have produced some damn fine Football Players (Manning, Witten, etc.) but many of the knocks aimed at Mack Brown were being said about Fulmer before he won a NC and they are starting to rear their ugly heads in Knoxville again.
And I don't have to bring up players who only succeeded as punt returners
Then that's idiocy on your part as any team in the NFL would kill to have an Eric Metcalf in his prime.
or some guy making the Pro Bowl twice in a 15 year career as an example.
That's still 2 more Pro Bowls and a Hell of a lot more seasons than most players in this League will ever see (a.k.a. he's not a bust).

Bottom line is . . . Texas players don't have a good history.
Disproved (see above).
And I'd rather not risk one of our high draft picks on a player that will more than likely bust.
Well Nostra*******, we'll just have to wait and see if DJ ends up a bust but some team is going to pay him Millions upon Millions upon Millions of dollars with the belief that he won't be.
Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Doesn't hurt my feelings. If your dislike of a specific University is so great that you would pass on the Best Defensive Player in the Nation and a LB that has the greatest upside at his position seen in years, that's your problem.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Disproved (see above). Well Nostra*******, we'll just have to wait and see if DJ ends up a bust but some team is going to pay him Millions upon Millions upon Millions of dollars with the belief that he won't be.

Cute nickname . . .

You always resort to namecallling when people share a different opinion than you?

Roughneck said:
Doesn't hurt my feelings. If your dislike of a specific University is so great that you would pass on the Best Defensive Player in the Nation and a LB that has the greatest upside at his position seen in years, that's your problem.

Sure . . . doesn't hurt your feelings. Thats why you resort to namecalling like a little kid.

Sorry bro . . . I have nothing against the Univ of Texas. In fact . . . I root for them in most games, and I was hoping they'd beat Oklahoma this year.

But I don't let my fandom for a college blind my judgement.

UT players rarely make the impact expected of them.

Heck . . . UT is a big time program who has a rich tradition . . . yet you could only come up with 11 names, some who were very questionable, of players you considered to be NFL studs . . . and one was a rookie at that. And you had to get into the way-back machine with some of those names.

How many players does UT put into the draft each year?

And you could only come up with 11 names from 30+ years of drafting?

But yeah . . . that punt returner. He was awesome.

Nevermind that he didn't accomplish anything as a receiver.

When he was taking 13th overall . . . it was because they were drooling over his punt return capabilities.

Okay . . . .