News: Devin Smith humbled to have opportunity

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Liked the signing but I think the spot on the roster if the Cowboys keep six receivers comes down between Smith and Austin..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hasn't austin gone down hill since a couple of seasons ago ?

Had a wrist injury in 2017 with the Rams which led to too many muffed / fumbled punts as well as dropped passes. Then when he was healthy, McVay did not use him as much but more because he supposedly did not fit his style of offense. Just what I read, as I can't say for sure.
Had a torn groin last year and missed about 10 games I think. Therefore labeled injury prone by many. As they usually do on here when a player misses a few games or so. LOL. But maybe there is something to it.

So he really hasn't had the opportunities to really say. So Austin, Wilson, Brown and Smith all are vying for 3 WR spots.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Liked the signing but I think the spot on the roster if the Cowboys keep six receivers comes down between Smith and Austin..

With Cooper out, Austin has been in the starting lineup every time as the third receiver. I think the pecking order shows that Austin isn't really in danger unless he just sucked and two to three other receivers' play blew his out of the water.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brown is a lock unfortunately, but it's likely he goes on PUP at the beginning of season opening up a WR spot.

He is already on PUP. What needs to happen is the same as last season. Makes the 53, then gets moved to IR, so he will be eligible to return during the season. Then they bring back another player.

So very possible they keep 7 WR's, move him to IR, then bring back a 9th OL, 10th DB or something like that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Based on the snippets from practice and the games, he should be the 4th or 5th WR.

Never thought I'd have said that a few months ago. I honestly thought with his injury history and play he was going to be a camp body.

cern

Reaction score
Smith and Wilson have both played well. Brown hasn't played due to injury. Not good for brown. Austin's occasional flashes are equal to his injuries.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He is already on PUP. What needs to happen is the same as last season. Makes the 53, then gets moved to IR, so he will be eligible to return during the season. Then they bring back another player.

So very possible they keep 7 WR's, move him to IR, then bring back a 9th OL, 10th DB or something like that.

Yeah thats essentially what i meant.

quickccc

Reaction score

I saw one report that said Noah Brown is behind schedule and isn't quite where he should be in rehab.
Being that it's a knee injury, could that lead to another IR case with him as they did with him last year? , ..or PUP list if Cowboys choose to go that route ?

Problem still is with whether short term IR or PUP, is that we still would have to cut a promising player, just to get Noah Brown back onto the active 53 roster, once he's declared healthy and ready.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw one report that said Noah Brown is behind schedule and isn't quite where he should be in rehab.
Being that it's a knee injury, could that lead to another IR case with him as they did with him last year? , ..or PUP list if Cowboys choose to go that route ?

Problem still is with whether short term IR or PUP, is that we still would have to cut a promising player, just to get Noah Brown back onto the active 53 roster, once he's declared healthy and ready.

If he is moved to IR now, he will be out for the season. Thing is to do that, they it must be determined a long term injury. Which I believe is longer than 6 weeks. If short term, then he will need to be waived, which then the risk of a team claiming him.
In order to be on short term IR, he needs to be on the initial 53 man roster. Once this happens, the PUP no longer exists.

Actually there is no short term IR. It is just IR. But they can activate up to 2 players from it during the season. And the players do not need to be named. It is open to all players that are placed on it after the initial 53 is announced and all players clear waivers.
If placed on it before the 53, they are on it for the entire season.

Unless they changed these rules, that has been the rules the way I understand them.

So yes, they need to determine this and have a few weeks to do so.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Smith was a pet cat ever since they signed him. Pulling for him to be the 6th WR. Either at the expense of Brown or Wilson.
Right now I have Smith and Wilson over Brown though.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/devin-smith-humbled-to-have-opportunity

“Me having this opportunity, just with everything that’s happened, it means so much to me,” Smith said. “So I just try to put everything into it, and usually when you do that, good things happen.”

“The process of getting to this particular position – I’m more than thankful, I’m humbled,” he said. “I couldn’t do it at no better place than the Dallas Cowboys.”
Early 2nd round pick. Humbled. Thankful. Put everything into it. Not what you normally hear from a 2nd round pick. Or any pick.

Sounds like his injuries with the Jets had not fully recovered while with the Jets. "I definitely feel a lot stronger". Not even entirely recovered now.

Still, I assumed there was some personality issue with him for the Jets to give up on a 2nd round pick with only 2 accrued seasons. I can't see how that's the case. Humbled. Thankful. Put everything into it.

Looks like the Jets pulled what a lot of people here pull - he's always injured, dump him. I like that we're more disciplined than that. Looks like we got a 2nd talent for 2 years out of it.

Giggity. Colombo 2.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not a bad throw either. Rush looking better. Maybe one of the last times we see White playing soon.

I thought Rush looked good early in the game, but was flirting with INTs later in the game. Maybe because of a little less zip on the ball, which has always been the knock on him.