Devin Smith Thread

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Austin is on the team as a dual run/receiving threat. He's competing more with Pollard than Smith, but I can see them keeping both, and having them on the field together. I hope they keep both. Austin was very productive per target for us.

I'm on the dump Brown bandwagon. We don't need a midget blocking TE. We've got other guys to play ST.

We've got actual talent at the bottom of the roster I don't want to lose to keep Brown.

We have players that can product and make a big impact in the game. However, it our scheme and our HC that is the biggest worry. He just doesn't know how to run an offense like a Mcvay or any of the other coaches in the NFL.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We have players that can product and make a big impact in the game. However, it our scheme and our HC that is the biggest worry. He just doesn't know how to run an offense like a Mcvay or any of the other coaches in the NFL.

I like what I see them doing with personnel and the noise I hear about Moore. All points to a multi threat run game with speed over the top to beat you deep if you crowd the box.

It's still just a hope, though.

Moving on from Linehan was a win, though. At least it might get better.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How do you know? You don’t.

RS12

Reaction score
This team has been looking for Terry Glenn 2.0 almost as long as it has been looking for Darren Woodson 2.0.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
How do you know? You don’t.

Austin is one of them. After one big play, this offense never use him again during the entire game. While you get players like Noah Brown who keeps messing up on plays over and over and never produce. Still, they keep using him.

Rewatch the Seattle game last year. Noah Brown was terrible.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I like what I see them doing with personnel and the noise I hear about Moore. All points to a multi threat run game with speed over the top to beat you deep if you crowd the box.

It's still just a hope, though.

Moving on from Linehan was a win, though. At least it might get better.

I like the fact they split Witten out wide. They even had him run past the first down marker. I think Moore adds a new wrinkle to this offense that Garrett can't otherwise do.

irishline

Reaction score
If Noah brown makes this team after no training camp we deserve to suck. Since when do players like him get guaranteed spots? :facepalm:

wSLJclWJ_400x400.jpg

He says hello and remember me?

gmoney112

Reaction score
I like the fact they split Witten out wide. They even had him run past the first down marker. I think Moore adds a new wrinkle to this offense that Garrett can't otherwise do.

Moore had a formation with WRs on one side and Witten alone on the other, giving him him single coverage on a CB.

Witten is old but he's still good at the top of his routes and is a big body, difficult to cover if timing is on.

Moore also showed a nice adjustment on the Pollard TD run. He spread the field a bit, and had a route that got the safety's attention, the safety exactly where Pollard ran through.

It's nice to see. Little things that help win a game of inches.

As far as Devin Smith, I'd probably keep him and Austin over Brown.

Last edited:

Altestic

Reaction score
They should put Witten out wide and have him run deep nine routes against a corner in man coverage! Gronk had success in NE doing that

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I have been a big supporter of Johnson but he has to make some big plays in the next 2 games if he wants to make the roster. He gets open almost every play, I really wish he could run with Dak and the 1s next week so we can really see him in action.
He is toast. I hate it as well, but he has made his bed.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Austin is one of them. After one big play, this offense never use him again during the entire game. While you get players like Noah Brown who keeps messing up on plays over and over and never produce. Still, they keep using him.

Rewatch the Seattle game last year. Noah Brown was terrible.
In case you didn’t know, there are 3 teams that make up the roster. Offense, Defense and Special Teams. All are important.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
In case you didn’t know, there are 3 teams that make up the roster. Offense, Defense and Special Teams. All are important.

Thanks for giving me the basics of football. I would have never known that football is made up of offense, defense, special teams (sarcasm alert).

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If Noah brown makes this team after no training camp we deserve to suck. Since when do players like him get guaranteed spots? :facepalm:

For a player lacks talent. I don't know why he plays such an important part of our offense. There are better players that could be more useful and impactful than Brown. I guess its a Garrett thingy where he thinks he can fool defenses by putting in Brown. Or just Garrett's lack of football acumen in being able to utilize specific players for their specific skillset.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Some people get too wound up about injuries, and there's a false narrative going around that Austin is injury prone, while he's averaged 15 games a season for the rest of this career.

The only reasons I see to get rid of Austin is to save a roster spot, and because you'd rather have other guys taking those snaps. Pollard and Smith give us what Austin does, and maybe better. Maybe not too.

But Pollard can be a plus for Austin too, with his ability to line up wide. Did in college. Pollard, Austin, Cooper as wideouts. There's a lot of jet sweeping and deep balls going on there.

We're probably the best fit in the league for Austin. We've been looking for that midget jet sweep receiving threat for a long time. And he was productive per touch/target for us when we gave it to him last year.

Linehan should have given it to Austin more. Similar weirdness with refusing to use Butler in 2017, when his production was great and he was clearly the guy to be forcing teams out of their press man coverage.

The Elliot holdout may help Austin. Austin is definitely the designated jet sweep receiver if Pollard is at tailback.

Way too much speed, talent, fit, and proven effectiveness for us to let him go. People are crazy.

Totally agree. Don't understand why we don't use Austin more. When he was in there he was productive and caused the defenses to look his way. Everytime when he made a big play they would take him out or not use him during the entire game. Yet they keep going with these lame plays that get minimal yardage like Zeke up the middle over and over again.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Austin was our only threat in the return game last year. Unless someone else steps up we will atleast need his return ability.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Caught a TD today after being in position to catch one last week... so likely the inside track to make that 6th and final WR spot... do you agree? So is Wilson out for sure now? What about Johnson and Austin?

No reason to cut Wilson. The six right now would be Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson and Smith.