Dez Bryant - A Man With No Position

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He was the best linebacker on the team last year. If he's "average at best", the rest are worse. Be sure to "move on" from them as well. Be consistent.

For the right role, at the right money, I'm not opposed to all of them returning.
Well we can't move on from Jaylon. We can't move on from LVE. Lee played poorly at certain points just like Jaylon did. You can tell he's lost a step. Even when he had the right read he was a step slow to get to a spot to make the tackle. We need impact players on defense not players that we hope and pray can last 16 games.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I won’t argue about the money but Lee actually had a decent year last season, his best in awhile. He was healthy and was very useful once LVE went down.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Lee taking a step back and being a 4th linebacker as his spot on the team but he can still contribute as his performance last year demonstrated.

He’s at the end though so they need to plan for that.
Right now we don't owe him anything just let him walk.

superonyx

Reaction score
One thing is being able to uncover once the QB scrambles.

Beasley was also good at it but of course he left disgruntled.

Dez has a place on the team IF healthy.

These snips of video showing not much tell us something is still missing with this whole Dez revival.
What do you think the video is hiding?
It was made in early February when he possibly just got back into training.
I think Dez is a proud man who wouldnt advertise himself and his comeback just to show up fat, slow, or not ready to contribute.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we can't move on from Jaylon. We can't move on from LVE. Lee played poorly at certain points just like Jaylon did. You can tell he's lost a step. Even when he had the right read he was a step slow to get to a spot to make the tackle. We need impact players on defense not players that we hope and pray can last 16 games.

Reads like a clear double standard then.

Lee "played poorly" at the position they put him in at strongside linebacker. But when put back at his actual weakside position, he played better than any of them. If there's blame to be placed for the situations, blame the team for paying the wrong people and playing them in the wrong roles, not the players for being who they are.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As I've continued to say, those that are completely against him getting an opportunity are doing so for personal reasons, not tangible statistics and numbers. And that's fine, I just don't want to see anybody trying to confuse one with the other.
BS. He hasn't played in YEARS and hasn't been relevant since 2014. The last time he was on a field he blew out his Achilles. And now he's releasing snippets of running routes vs. the neighborhood kids. Why wouldn't you want fresh legs?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BS. He hasn't played in YEARS and hasn't been relevant since 2014.

Receiver A

79 receptions for 1189 yards and 8 TD's

Receiver B

69 receptions for 838 yards and 6 TD's

The last time he was on a field he blew out his Achilles.

And? Has no player returned from this injury?

And now he's releasing snippets of running routes vs. the neighborhood kids.

And catching everything in sight.

Why wouldn't you want fresh legs?

I'd rather hands than legs, but who did you have in mind?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Forgive me if some of this has been covered but I am at work and don't have time to read all 7 pages of replies here. Let me just throw in my $.02.

1) If healthy, Dez helps this team better than any 3rd receiver we've had in over a decade. He provides insurance for the Cooper disappearances as well as for injuries in general.
2) Dez in the slot is a mismatch for pretty much any #3 corner in the league. The problem with that approach however is that Dez was never the sharpest knife in the drawer so I question how much of that position and the others he could learn. If he can, however, he's an instant upgrade over Cobb there.
3) Dez in the red zone would be just what the doctor ordered. Both Coop and Gallup are crafty route runners but if you cover them they're not going to win the physical battle for the ball as often as Dez did.. I know he and Dak were often not in sync on that fade but Dak has improved tremendously on that throw so if can place it properly Dez can go get it better than anybody else we have on the roster.. again.. assuming health.
4) The talk of eroding skills at age 30 are hilarious. The only thing Dez might have lost is quickness. He was never run by you fast to begin with.. His gifts were strength, hops and hands. None of which he would have lost by this age especially with two years off from football. If anything he will be MORE explosive with the time away to heal up.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am sure Dez could find a spot in the XFL. Not kidding.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What do you think the video is hiding?
It was made in early February when he possibly just got back into training.
I think Dez is a proud man who wouldnt advertise himself and his comeback just to show up fat, slow, or not ready to contribute.
I can agree with that.

And it may still be early in his workouts to do this..

but eventually I want to see him doing running against a DB.

I just want to see if he can do some of what he needs such as elevating himself, being quick enough to get his body position b/w himself and the DB to make his standard catches..

would not mind seeing him do some body screen blocking showing his footwork doing it.

I just want to have a better idea. I am a huge fan of Dez and want him contributing but not risking himself unnecessarily.

Like I said, still maybe early and it maybe June or July before he can do that stuff.

I'm ok with it dragging into the season while he gets it going. No prob.

I just want and hope for him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Forgive me if some of this has been covered but I am at work and don't have time to read all 7 pages of replies here. Let me just throw in my $.02.

1) If healthy, Dez helps this team better than any 3rd receiver we've had in over a decade. He provides insurance for the Cooper disappearances as well as for injuries in general.
2) Dez in the slot is a mismatch for pretty much any #3 corner in the league. The problem with that approach however is that Dez was never the sharpest knife in the drawer so I question how much of that position and the others he could learn. If he can, however, he's an instant upgrade over Cobb there.
3) Dez in the red zone would be just what the doctor ordered. Both Coop and Gallup are crafty route runners but if you cover them they're not going to win the physical battle for the ball as often as Dez did.. I know he and Dak were often not in sync on that fade but Dak has improved tremendously on that throw so if can place it properly Dez can go get it better than anybody else we have on the roster.. again.. assuming health.
4) The talk of eroding skills at age 30 are hilarious. The only thing Dez might have lost is quickness. He was never run by you fast to begin with.. His gifts were strength, hops and hands. None of which he would have lost by this age especially with two years off from football. If anything he will be MORE explosive with the time away to heal up.
#4 cracks me up. Quickness is a skill.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
#4 cracks me up. Quickness is a skill.

Whatup dude.. long time no holla. Um diggin it here in Fort Worth.. paid $1.81 for gas yesterday.. HALF of what a gallon goes for in Cali. I love Texas!!!
But I digress!
Yes, quickness is a skill but it was never the one that "separated" Dez .. pun intended. Plus I don't think it will have diminished all that much by age 30 .. again assuming he's healthy and has been training properly. The bottom line is that putting a beast like that in the slot on a consistent basis is going to cause problems for DCs. Big problems. I think it would be irresponsible of the Cowboys NOT to kick the tires on Dez. Bring him to the first coupla minicamps.. see what he's got.. If he's got nothin left, cut him loose. If he's still capable of bullying a 185 pound cornerback, which I suspect he is, sign him and let him do it for us..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatup dude.. long time no holla. Um diggin it here in Fort Worth.. paid $1.81 for gas yesterday.. HALF of what a gallon goes for in Cali. I love Texas!!!
But I digress!
Yes, quickness is a skill but it was never the one that "separated" Dez .. pun intended. Plus I don't think it will have diminished all that much by age 30 .. again assuming he's healthy and has been training properly. The bottom line is that putting a beast like that in the slot on a consistent basis is going to cause problems for DCs. Big problems. I think it would be irresponsible of the Cowboys NOT to kick the tires on Dez. Bring him to the first coupla minicamps.. see what he's got.. If he's got nothin left, cut him loose. If he's still capable of bullying a 185 pound cornerback, which I suspect he is, sign him and let him do it for us..

:hammer:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what Dez might do in an offense that DOESN'T stop throwing to him for unknown reasons when he is enjoying a clear mismatch against his man.. So many times over the years he'd be killing his man for a quarter only to have the ball go elsewhere for the next two quarters while we lost the game. That KC game a few years back still sticks in my craw. Another year we went 8-8 when 9-7 would have won the division or gotten us a wild-card but the coaching staff (and to some extent Romo) decided that after Dez torched his man for 100+ yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter we would just stop throwing to him the rest of the game.. Must have been in the interest of fairness? I could run down a dozen such games.. but I'm pretty sure the folks here know them as well as I do..

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm interested to see what Dez might do in an offense that DOESN'T stop throwing to him for unknown reasons when he is enjoying a clear mismatch against his man.. So many times over the years he'd be killing his man for a quarter only to have the ball go elsewhere for the next two quarters while we lost the game. That KC game a few years back still sticks in my craw. Another year we went 8-8 when 9-7 would have won the division or gotten us a wild-card but the coaching staff (and to some extent Romo) decided that after Dez torched his man for 100+ yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter we would just stop throwing to him the rest of the game.. Must have been in the interest of fairness? I could run down a dozen such games.. but I'm pretty sure the folks here know them as well as I do..

They stopped throwing to him b/c he wasn't open. When he left Dallas, he was getting no separation from DBs. He got a "prove it" deal in New Orleans, and all he proved was that our decision to cut him was the right one. He's still a distraction with his damm twitter account. Nobody is signing that guy.