Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let's see if you will be thanking him when the cowboys go 0 and 2. or when they don't make the playoffs. i think not. this team is not making the playoffs if they don't get the same Dez. even when he plays. that's if they don't give him the contract he wants.

So then whatever Dez wants he should get?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yes he does, but don't piss on us and tell us it's raining. He should spare us the whole "gee I sure love the Dallas fans - but I'm not going to show up unless I get my way!" routine.

Bottom line is this: For all his bluster, I think he (i.e. his agent) knows that missing actual games is a lose-lose situation. He loses money in the short term and he loses money in the long term.

Exactly. This is his last chance to create a controversy. After Weds he has no leverage.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
2 things I think are going on here......the Cowboy's FO are CAP conscience mixed in with trust issues re Dez. IMO Dez would be wise to take his Franchise tag and continue being a team player and continue to perform. That additional year of him proving he's able to stay out of "major" trouble, I think, would be enough for the Jones' to sign up for what now is a risky proposition.

No it won't be. Dez has had enough of proving himself to the cowboys. and i don't blame. either pay the man, or start making plans to let him go. tell him to come in and play well this year. and you won't put the franchise tag on him next year.a team like Jacksonville would pay him the money he wants.i bet Dez would go for that.

superonyx

Reaction score
They act like they are unhappy but it is just posturing. They are getting top dollar, they just have to wait a year.

Anthony Spencer knocked over 3 kids and an old lady racing to sign his tag. He made20m over 2 years which is larger or equal to guaranteed money he would have got.

Dez will make 28m over 2 years which is top money for a WR and equal to what he would get on an extension. He will still be a FA in 2017 and if he only gets another 20-25m guaranteed that is a HUGE amount of money over 3 years.

Dez isn't Anthony Spencer. Spencer was injured and over produced one season. The guy was a bust before and after.
Dez is a top 3 at his position and has out performed his rookie deal big time. Dez is widely considered a hall of fame level player. Spencer was not.

erod

Reaction score
Dez is acting like a guy without a nickel in his pocket. He's got $30+ million in his future no matter what.

The way he's acting makes me less excited about him though. He's acting like a big baby right now.

He's going to get paid, one way or the other. So why is he freaking out? Thomas isn't freaking out.

His immaturity gives Dallas legitimate concerns when it comes to committing $40+ million here. They shouldn't do that.

superonyx

Reaction score
I never once said that I disagreed with your assessment here. Great teams don't overpay wide receivers, BUT not every team has had Dez Bryant.

I agree. Overpaying a WR would be signing T Will to a franchise contract. Overpaying a top 3 WR what a top 3 WR makes isn't overpaying him.
Most likely the sticking point is about the guarantees anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dez is acting like a guy without a nickel in his pocket. He's got $30+ million in his future no matter what.

The way he's acting makes me less excited about him though. He's acting like a big baby right now.

He's going to get paid, one way or the other. So why is he freaking out? Thomas isn't freaking out.

His immaturity gives Dallas legitimate concerns when it comes to committing $40+ million here. They shouldn't do that.

That is true other WR in his position are not talking every other day and making threats. Dez is very good but then there are several very good WR in the NFL whose contribution to their teams are just as great.

Romonater

Reaction score

Thomas isn't freaking out? How do you know this? Do you have access to his text? Could you share them? 30 million dollar is a lot to you and me, but is it enough for stars like Thomas, Bryant, ODB? Once again, put yourself out of the situation from that perspective.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Dez isn't Anthony Spencer. Spencer was injured and over produced one season. The guy was a bust before and after.
Dez is a top 3 at his position and has out performed his rookie deal big time. Dez is widely considered a hall of fame level player. Spencer was not.

And he will get paid like it. Throwing a hissy fit is no way to show your employer that you have matured.

Romonater

Reaction score
I agree. Overpaying a WR would be signing T Will to a franchise contract. Overpaying a top 3 WR what a top 3 WR makes isn't overpaying him.
Most likely the sticking point is about the guarantees anyway.

Yep, this guy gets it.

Romonater

Reaction score
And he will get paid like it. Throwing a hissy fit is no way to show your employer that you have matured.

But the owner can put a grim smile when Dez breaks a leg next year and he only has to pay 4 million dollars for 3 years due to injury? It blows my mind how much leverage the owners get during negotiations like these.

superonyx

Reaction score

So they shouldn't commit $40 million to Dez? But they should pay him $25 million over the next 2 years?

cowboyvic

Reaction score
If DAL really offered 10/114m with 22m guaranteed that is a very fair deal. Dez would probably see at least 5-6 years before it was redone. CJ wouldn't even get CJ money again. It was a fluke of circumstances.

Sorry but 22m guaranteed, is not enough money. has to be from 30 to 35. maybe 40. but 30 to 35 is fair.

Aven8

Reaction score

As I statedd in the thread the other day he has a 2 million dollar Bugatti in layaway right now. Hell of a WR l, but not too bright money wise.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Question here.....

Lets say that Dez does not get a deal and doesn't sign his tag. If he does indeed sit out a few games all the while Dallas flourishes on offense while not skipping a beat.

Can Dallas rescind the tag then or is permanent after July 15th?

erod

Reaction score
Thomas isn't freaking out? How do you know this? Do you have access to his text? Could you share them? 30 million dollar is a lot to you and me, but is it enough for stars like Thomas, Bryant, ODB? Once again, put yourself out of the situation from that perspective.

I don't care if it's "enough" for them or not. They're not that critical to winning championships as it's been proven over and over and over again.

Quarterbacks, offensive lineman, and pass rushers are vital. Running backs and receivers are nice to have, but not mandatory.

And I don't see Thomas all over Twitter threatening not to play if he's franchised.

Romonater

Reaction score

So if you had a chance to make 12 million dollars or 50 million dollar to take care of your family, which one would you take? Second question(a better one at that), would you be okay throwing a hissy fit even if it means you getting THAT much money?

superonyx

Reaction score
No it won't be. Dez has had enough of proving himself to the cowboys. and i don't blame. either pay the man, or start making plans to let him go. tell him to come in and play well this year. and you won't put the franchise tag on him next year.a team like Jacksonville would pay him the money he wants.i bet Dez would go for that.

Poster want to act like a franchise tag is some kind of compliment to a player.
Why do people think Hardy made the cowboys commit to NOT using the franchise tag on him after this year? Hmm.

erod

Reaction score
Question here.....

Lets say that Dez does not get a deal and doesn't sign his tag. If he does indeed sit out a few games all the while Dallas flourishes on offense while not skipping a beat.

Can Dallas rescind the tag then or is permanent after July 15th?

No need to. He's doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.