Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

erod

Reaction score
The Jags could offer him a deal. I believe the Cowboys have applied the None Exclusive tag, which allows for other teams to negotiation with Dez. If the Jags wanted to pay for him, they could do it right now.

I would actually love that. Two first round picks from the Jaguars?

Dallas could draft two Kelvin Benjamins and two Odell Beckhams and pay less than half of Dez' salary for all four combined.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
dez could care less whether he I s a lifetime cowboy he wants to get paid period end of story same as murry

AtlCB

Reaction score
A player's value is determined just like our value is. If you could get a bigger offer to switch jobs then you are worth more than you were previously.
The cowboys using a franchise tag is a weapon they have that avoids Dez getting what his real value would be on an open market.
His value isn't being set by these negotiations because we are negotiating against ourselves due to the FO having the dreaded Franchise Tag.

Release him to the open market and see what his value is.

Our value and the NFL players' value is determined differently. Both the NFL and the NFLPA have manipulated the labor market for NFL players.

Rogah

Reaction score
They would take Dez in a NY moment.
There are 32 teams in the NFL that would take Dez in a NY moment - if the price was right.

However, we have no idea which teams would be willing to take him at the dollars he is asking for. And we can say with certainty no team is willing to pay the dollars he is asking for AND the 2 1st rounders it would take to get him away from Dallas.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dez is a great player. Nobody would argue that. But don't you guys think the Market has probably figured itself out on Dez? I mean, if what we were offering him was so out of line, don't you think another team would have already stepped up and offered him a better deal?

I usually don't follow this much because there is nothing I can do about it, but, don't the Broncos have the same thing going on with one of their receivers? If so, has that receiver signed his deal yet, and if not, maybe that is what is taking so long so that they can see what the going rate is and perhaps both sign before Wednesday?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They would take Dez in a NY moment.
I would actually love that. Two first round picks from the Jaguars?

Dallas could draft two Kelvin Benjamins and two Odell Beckhams and pay less than half of Dez' salary for all four combined.

The Cowboys tagged Dez months ago. All of this talk about how teams would love to pay for Dez is self evident IMO. Any team could have stepped up and signed him if they really wanted to. None of them have. The idea that teams are willing to pay CJ money to any WR are just not reasonable IMO. The trend is not towards those kinds of outlandish contracts to WR any longer.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I usually don't follow this much because there is nothing I can do about it, but, don't the Broncos have the same thing going on with one of their receivers? If so, has that receiver signed his deal yet, and if not, maybe that is what is taking so long so that they can see what the going rate is and perhaps both sign before Wednesday?

Yep. Condon represents both of them. He is trying to sign a mega deal to set the market for the others. If he can do it, the one who really makes out is Condon. This is not hard once you look at it.

erod

Reaction score
The Cowboys tagged Dez months ago. All of this talk about how teams would love to pay for Dez is self evident IMO. Any team could have stepped up and signed him if they really wanted to. None of them have. The idea that teams are willing to pay CJ money to any WR are just not reasonable IMO. The trend is not towards those kinds of outlandish contracts to WR any longer.

Yep, and you'd think our fan base would have learned by now.

Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, Miles Austin.....

And look at Brandon Marshall, Percy Harvin, Sydney Rice, Mike Wallace, Eric Decker, Randy Moss (Oakland), Desean Jackson, etc, etc, etc...

Receivers are almost never the answer.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. Condon represents both of them. He is trying to sign a mega deal to set the market for the others. If he can do it, the one who really makes out is Condon. This is not hard once you look at it.

I wonder if the Bronco player is planning to sit out? (which Dez won't unless he has totally lost his mind).

erod

Reaction score

Actually, I think Todd France is Thomas' agent, but Condon is close to buying his firm.

rags747

Reaction score
Dez isn't making it personal. Jesus, why can't people see that. He's protecting himself so that he could maximize his talents somewhere else if Dallas doesn't give him his money. Dez's priority shouldn't be about the Dallas Cowboys. He's a human being. It should be about his family.

It's clearly not about his family if he is willing to blow 750k per game. Maybe he should just buy an insurance policy to protect himself. I'm sure his agency can get him a good one too...

Dallas can just tag him again next year, is he going to give up 20-25 game checks at 750k per pop? After next yr he's pushing 30, how many teams are breaking the bank on a 30yr old receiver that hasn't played in two yrs. It happens all the time year in and year out...the players just never seem to get it.

phildadon86

Reaction score
10 years? Dez' career as an elite receiver will be done in five years or less.

You act like they're offering him $3 million. They're offering guaranteed money around $30 million most likely. His agent wants a deal like Calvin Johnson, and Dallas isn't remotely interested in that.

He's just a wide receiver.

The best receiver for the Patriots is Julian Edelman. The best receiver for the Seahawks is Doug Baldwin. Those teams went to the Super Bowl.

Seattle's best receiver is Jimmy G now. And he's very highly paid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep, and you'd think our fan base would have learned by now.

Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, Miles Austin.....

And look at Brandon Marshall, Percy Harvin, Sydney Rice, Mike Wallace, Eric Decker, Randy Moss (Oakland), Desean Jackson, etc, etc, etc...

Receivers are almost never the answer.

And if you really think about it, another team really wouldn't have to offer CJ money. They would simply have to offer more then what the Cowboys are offering, which is not close to CJ money if we can believe what is being reported. Two 1st round picks would be a steep price to pay for sure but honestly, if Dez were the kind of talent that some believe him to be, would a team jump at the chance to sign a player like that and be willing to give up 2 firsts? Unless we, on this board over value him? He's a great, great player but I just don't think he's as good as some think he is. If he was, this would probably already have been figured out for us.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wonder if the Bronco player is planning to sit out? (which Dez won't unless he has totally lost his mind).

Don't follow it closely enough but I have not heard anything suggesting that he would. However, if you have ever listened to Thomas speak, he might just be the mythical box of rocks so who really knows?

AtlCB

Reaction score
And if you really think about it, another team really wouldn't have to offer CJ money. They would simply have to offer more then what the Cowboys are offering, which is not close to CJ money if we can believe what is being reported. Two 1st round picks would be a steep price to pay for sure but honestly, if Dez were the kind of talent that some believe him to be, would a team jump at the chance to sign a player like that and be willing to give up 2 firsts? Unless we, on this board over value him? He's a great, great player but I just don't think he's as good as some think he is. If he was, this would probably already have been figured out for us.

We really don't know if they need to offer CJ money or not, since we really don't know what Tom or Dez would accept.

phildadon86

Reaction score
So they won in free agency, but it was Manning, not Elway.

OK, right.

How did Baltimore do it? Green Bay? Seattle? Pittsburgh? Not one of those teams had a Dez Bryant level receiver.

Stop comparing dallas to these teams. The system Garrett has instilled is based on beating the defensive player physically. You really need to stop bringing up the past and these teams with superior defenses and quarterbacks. It's irritating

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We really don't know if they need to offer CJ money or not, since we really don't know what Tom or Dez would accept.

That's true. I don't think anybody really knows for sure what they want. It could be less or it could be more.

Status
Not open for further replies.