Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I believe there are only a handful of players in the league that are extremely hard to replace. Romo is one. I put Dez in that category. Its my thought that you have to be responsible with contracts but you also have to understand that some players are worth the money. With Dez its his passion that helps make him so hard to replace. We would be better off today if we would have signed Dez long term already and used the franchise tag on Murray.

I agree on the whole but it's not as if Dez is not getting paid. He's being offered a pretty decent deal.

superonyx

Reaction score
HE WILL BE THE SECOND HIGHEST PAID RECEIVER IN FOOTBALL THIS YEAR ON THE FRANCHISE TAG!!!

He's getting WAY more than Miles or Roy got. And this is for one season.

Every player that has ever gotten the Franchise Tag is among the highest paid in the league in their position.
And every player that has been forced to play under the franchise tag has been unhappy about it.....hmm....I wonder why this is?
Stop acting like a player playing under a franchise tag should equal that player being happy about it. Its not a compliment or a good thing for the players.

erod

Reaction score
Comparing a player now to the structures they had in place back then is futile. Don't kid yourselves, as much as we put these legendary athletes on a pedestal, they wish they could making money as the players do now. It's a different world now. So the comparison is nonsensical in my opinion.

Well, it's not as different as you and Dez wish it was.

Denver isn't paying crazy money to Thomas either. That's why they're good.

Only crappy teams overpay wide receivers. You know, like Dallas used to.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Ok then, here's my question to all you people who are saying "next man up" , "later Dez", etc. Are you willing to give up wins in exchange for the Biys not giving in.

Ok then, here's my question to all you people who are saying "next man up" , "later Dez", etc. Are you willing to give up wins in exchange for the Boys not giving in. Murray's gone, AD never came, TWill is not a number one. Without Dez, we instantly become a basic offense without any big time threats. Let's pretend it's 10000% he'll skip games. Is it worth divisional games? If he skips camp, it throws the chemistry and timing way off anyways. If he skips games, we could start 0-3, 1-4. Is it worth it to you????

If they cave they might lose more games in the future because of cap problems.

Dez has brought his problems on himself. Dallas simply can't trust him with 40m+ guaranteed.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
This isn't the New England Patriots. This is the Dallas Cowboys. People need to stop glorifying NE as a franchise because as far as i'm concerned, this false perception that they handle things the "right way" all the time is false. NE's management is a product of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. As much as I love Romo and Garrett, they aren't there. Dallas needs players like Dez more than NE would. He can be doing back flips all he wants throughout the offseason, but he's more at risk to get hurt during a 16 game season in which you have 250+ defensive players coming right after you. If he gets hurt and only makes his franchise money, he would've lost a ridiculous amount of money. It doesn't matter if the fans are getting butthurt over this. Dez is taking care of his family first. Yes, he's making a lot of money, but he wouldn't be making the right amount of money. Let's not kid ourselves.

BINGO. and let's get one thing right. NE has never let one of their star players go in their prime. R. Seymore was 33 when they let him go. Ty Law and Vince wolfoke were in their 30's. you don't see them letting Gronk go do you? so this false idea that they let their best players go when they are in their prime is not true. name on. and don't tell me Shan Vareen. because he is not a star player. he is a role player.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Dez will make THIS YEAR more than Irvin and Rice made their entire careers.

Is that right? Not saying I don't believe you, but that seems lower than I thought.

superonyx

Reaction score
Put yourself in the Cowboys situation. In the past, you have paid ridiculous amounts of money for the play we saw from Miles and Roy Williams. Why would you continue to invest in that business practice?

Well to be fair Miles had half a good season. Dez has had 5 excellent seasons. Roy Williams received money with 0 good seasons with the Cowboys.
I don't think its the same business practice.

erod

Reaction score
Every player that has ever gotten the Franchise Tag is among the highest paid in the league in their position.
And every player that has been forced to play under the franchise tag has been unhappy about it.....hmm....I wonder why this is?
Stop acting like a player playing under a franchise tag should equal that player being happy about it. Its not a compliment or a good thing for the players.

$12.8 million.

That's $128,000 for every catch.

Cry me a river.

The Natural

Reaction score
Thank you, Stephen Jones. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My Cowboys finally know what in the Sam Hill they're doing. Thought I'd never see the day.

The Jones boys will fold wednesday morning

cowboyvic

Reaction score
If they cave they might lose more games in the future because of cap problems.

Dez has brought his problems on himself. Dallas simply can't trust him with 40m+ guaranteed.

Answer the question. are you willing to lose games because of this? because make no mistake. no Murray. and now no Dez. no playoffs.

Romonater

Reaction score
Well, it's not as different as you and Dez wish it was.

Denver isn't paying crazy money to Thomas either. That's why they're good.

Only crappy teams overpay wide receivers. You know, like Dallas used to.

Oh please? Denver is now the New England? THomas is going to get paid soon. Denver isn't good because of their management. Denver is good because they won free agency 3 years ago. My good friend loves Denver, so i've followed them. Denver is contending for one person, and his last name is not Elway, it's Manning.

gmoney112

Reaction score
What does "time" mean? Training camp or actual games? I can't imagine the hate he'd get in DFW, Twitter, and the locker room if he actually sat out games while making 13 million this year. Wouldn't really matter at that point if he got a long-term deal, he'd always be the Cowboy that sat games because 13 million wasn't enough money. Fans are fickle.

I hope for his sake he's just posturing. People want to say he has every right to want a new contract, "business is business". Yeah, it is. And the franchise tag is part of this business. You can do whatever you want if you aren't happy, but rule #1 is you don't sit out regular season games. That's past the point of business, to the point of being completely unprofessional. If he doesn't like the tag, then don't play in the NFL.

erod

Reaction score
Is that right? Not saying I don't believe you, but that seems lower than I thought.

Irvin madea little over $1 million per year during his peak years. So it's about right on his career earnings.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok then, here's my question to all you people who are saying "next man up" , "later Dez", etc. Are you willing to give up wins in exchange for the Biys not giving in.
Fans aren't giving up anything. The contract dispute/negotiations exist between the Dallas front office and Dez Bryant.
Murray's gone, AD never came, TWill is not a number one. Without Dez, we instantly become a basic offense without any big time threats. Let's pretend it's 10000% he'll skip games. Is it worth divisional games?
The season will go on with or without Dez Bryant. Seasons include divisional games. No fan is stopping Dez Bryant from suiting up? Are you upset? Why not focus your anger at the two parties pissing you off instead.
If he skips camp, it throws the chemistry and timing way off anyways. If he skips games, we could start 0-3, 1-4. Is it worth it to you????
I'm not doing the proclamation game. That stuff never interests me. Football is won on the field and not between fans' ears.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
10 years? Dez' career as an elite receiver will be done in five years or less.

You act like they're offering him $3 million. They're offering guaranteed money around $30 million most likely. His agent wants a deal like Calvin Johnson, and Dallas isn't remotely interested in that.

He's just a wide receiver.

The best receiver for the Patriots is Julian Edelman. The best receiver for the Seahawks is Doug Baldwin. Those teams went to the Super Bowl.

These comparisons to other teams have to stop. Dallas is NOT built like SEA or NE.

Seattle got there via defense and NE got there due to Brady/Bill, defense gelling and their offensive system.

For a team like Dallas, Dez is very important to what they want to do. Take away Murray and Dez, there will be a whole lot more crying around here because the season won't be pretty.

You want to see TWill be our #1......I sure don't. Bryant's stats may not be out of this world but he does command a lot of attention which opens up other avenues. He is an important cog to this offense whether producing 5 catches a game or 10.

Now, if we had a top 5 defense, things would be a lot different.

Reaction score
2 things I think are going on here......the Cowboy's FO are CAP conscience mixed in with trust issues re Dez. IMO Dez would be wise to take his Franchise tag and continue being a team player and continue to perform. That additional year of him proving he's able to stay out of "major" trouble, I think, would be enough for the Jones' to sign up for what now is a risky proposition.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
BINGO. and let's get one thing right. NE has never let one of their star players go in their prime. R. Seymore was 33 when they let him go. Ty Law and Vince wolfoke were in their 30's. you don't see them letting Gronk go do you? so this false idea that they let their best players go when they are in their prime is not true. name on. and don't tell me Shan Vareen. because he is not a star player. he is a role player.

Not only that..like I have said...if we don't want to be reliant on a "star" RB....or a "star" WR...then design an offense where you scheme players into looking more productive than they would be in other systems. Our offense is RELIANT on Dez being superior physically than the man in front of him...he is the ONLY WR on THIS team that can stake claim to that. Dez is NEEDED for our other receiving options to thrive. The numbers he put up in a run heavy offense are outstanding. But his presence on the team is BIGGER than numbers

Romonater

Reaction score
Again, comparing players from different eras is just idiotic. It serves no point because it was a different world back then. Mike is a passionate player like Dez, but if you're implying Mike doesn't care about money, LOLOLOLOLLOLOL you are badly mistaken.

erod

Reaction score
Oh please? Denver is now the New England? THomas is going to get paid soon. Denver isn't good because of their management. Denver is good because they won free agency 3 years ago. My good friend loves Denver, so i've followed them. Denver is contending for one reason, and his last name is not Elway, it's Manning.

So they won in free agency, but it was Manning, not Elway.

OK, right.

How did Baltimore do it? Green Bay? Seattle? Pittsburgh? Not one of those teams had a Dez Bryant level receiver.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dallas wants to do contracts like they did with Tyron Smith, Sean Lee, and DeMarco Muray.

I hope they're smart enough to sense what each player is worth without comparing each one as if they're equal. That would be somewhat unrealistic in any occupation. Tyron was willing to take what he got because he's not inclined to place that much importance on the financial end of things at this stage in his life. Sean isn't in any position to be overly demanding -- his health has been his worst enemy. In DeMarco's case, they just weren't willing to accomodate what he wanted and obviously felt they could do without him. We're about to see if that was a mistake or not. I think they also felt very obliged to commit themselves to turning their cap problems around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.