Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well to be fair Miles had half a good season. Dez has had 5 excellent seasons. Roy Williams received money with 0 good seasons with the Cowboys.
I don't think its the same business practice.

It's not exactly the same, that's true but the idea of becoming a fiscally responsible team, in terms of cap, is really what is being discussed. Dez is much better then either of those two but he's also being offered a much better deal. He's just not being offered a deal that is on par with what CJ made and honestly, who is going to do that in today's NFL. I don't believe there is any team who would offer Dez that kind of deal. If there is a team out there who would do that, then they can but they have to kick in picks.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Every player that has ever gotten the Franchise Tag is among the highest paid in the league in their position.
And every player that has been forced to play under the franchise tag has been unhappy about it.....hmm....I wonder why this is?
Stop acting like a player playing under a franchise tag should equal that player being happy about it. Its not a compliment or a good thing for the players.

They act like they are unhappy but it is just posturing. They are getting top dollar, they just have to wait a year.

Anthony Spencer knocked over 3 kids and an old lady racing to sign his tag. He made20m over 2 years which is larger or equal to guaranteed money he would have got.

Dez will make 28m over 2 years which is top money for a WR and equal to what he would get on an extension. He will still be a FA in 2017 and if he only gets another 20-25m guaranteed that is a HUGE amount of money over 3 years.

erod

Reaction score
Again, comparing players from different eras is just idiotic. It serves no point because it was a different world back then. Mike is a passionate player like Dez, but if you're implying Mike doesn't care about money, LOLOLOLOLLOLOL you are badly mistaken.

Dez wasn't as good as Irvin, and he wasn't even in the same zip code as Rice. It wasn't that long ago.

Dez has a big pile of money on the table. It's his call.

Stephen is handling this like a pro. You obviously know nothing about negotiating and how it works.

In fact, I think you're Dez Bryant. I suggest you let your agent take it from here.

Romonater

Reaction score
So they won in free agency, but it was Manning, not Elway.

OK, right.

How did Baltimore do it? Green Bay? Seattle? Pittsburgh? Not one of those teams had a Dez Bryant level receiver.

Stick to one discussion here.

Elway is not a good general manager at all. I don't get where this notion that they are some dynasty in the making and every team should model what they do. So if Elway is some god, what happened with DeMarcus Ware? Huh? Don't be silly, Denver is quick to give a huge amount of cash like Papa Jerry. The only difference is they have a hall of fame qb that is a once in a lifetime talent. Green Bay has excellent management, but they also have this fellow by the name of Aaron Rodgers. Baltimore? LOLOLOL The same Baltimore that gave Joe Flacco that contract? Yeah okay. Come back and ask me about Pittsburgh when their stude WR is asking for a new contract.

Rogah

Reaction score
Teams would be lining up to sign Dez if he were a free agent. Sitting out 1 game over a contract dispute wont hurt his value.
Sitting out 1 game won't hurt him if he goes on to catch 15 TD's, 1,300 yards.

Sitting out 6 to 8 games will hurt him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's not exactly the same, that's true but the idea of becoming a fiscally responsible team, in terms of cap, is really what is being discussed. Dez is much better then either of those two but he's also being offered a much better deal. He's just not being offered a deal that is on par with what CJ made and honestly, who is going to do that in today's NFL. I don't believe there is any team who would offer Dez that kind of deal. If there is a team out there who would do that, then they can but they have to kick in picks.

If DAL really offered 10/114m with 22m guaranteed that is a very fair deal. Dez would probably see at least 5-6 years before it was redone. CJ wouldn't even get CJ money again. It was a fluke of circumstances.

Romonater

Reaction score
Dez wasn't as good as Irvin, and he wasn't even in the same zip code as Rice. It wasn't that long ago.

Dez has a big pile of money on the table. It's his call.

Stephen is handling this like a pro. You obviously know nothing about negotiating and how it works.

In fact, I think you're Dez Bryant. I suggest you let your agent take it from here.

It's almost ironic that you said I know nothing about negotiating when you're the one actually comparing players that are over 20 years apart, eh? I never once said Dez was as good as those two players, but what I did say, and i'll slow it down some......Different....ERa.....Different....cap.....more money....NOW. Crystal clear?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Answer the question. are you willing to lose games because of this? because make no mistake. no Murray. and now no Dez. no playoffs.

I am willling to lose Dez is values top dollar over the Cowboys.

They have a draft and Free Agency every year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BINGO. and let's get one thing right. NE has never let one of their star players go in their prime. R. Seymore was 33 when they let him go. Ty Law and Vince wolfoke were in their 30's. you don't see them letting Gronk go do you? so this false idea that they let their best players go when they are in their prime is not true. name on. and don't tell me Shan Vareen. because he is not a star player. he is a role player.

Rob Gronkowski signed a 6 year, $54,000,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including a $8,000,000 signing bonus, $13,170,000 guaranteed. NE signed him to a good deal. What CJ got in Det it was stupid, the gap between CJ and the next highest WR is way out of line. Because Det was stupid that means now all teams must cut poor deals?

cowboyvic

Reaction score
Thank you, Stephen Jones. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My Cowboys finally know what in the Sam Hill they're doing. Thought I'd never see the day.

Let's see if you will be thanking him when the cowboys go 0 and 2. or when they don't make the playoffs. i think not. this team is not making the playoffs if they don't get the same Dez. even when he plays. that's if they don't give him the contract he wants.

erod

Reaction score
Stick to one discussion here.

Elway is not a good general manager at all. I don't get where this notion that they are some dynasty in the making and every team should model what they do. So if Elway is some god, what happened with DeMarcus Ware? Huh? Don't be silly, Denver is quick to give a huge amount of cash like Papa Jerry. The only difference is they have a hall of fame qb that is a once in a lifetime talent. Green Bay has excellent management, but they also have this fellow by the name of Aaron Rodgers. Baltimore? LOLOLOL The same Baltimore that gave Joe Flacco that contract? Yeah okay. Come back and ask me about Pittsburgh when their stude WR is asking for a new contract.

Good teams don't pay massive money to wide receivers. Ever.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's his money he's throwing away but he's not just hurting himself... he's hurting the team. If he actually misses a real game, I'm done with him. #justsigntagdez

erod

Reaction score
Let's see if you will be thanking him when the cowboys go 0 and 2. or when they don't make the playoffs. i think not. this team is not making the playoffs if they don't get the same Dez. even when he plays. that's if they don't give him the contract he wants.

He will play the first game unless he's dumber than a box of rocks.

Romonater

Reaction score
Good teams don't pay massive money to wide receivers. Ever.

So what's going to be your argument when Denver pays Thomas and when Pittsburgh resigns their top WR? Because sorry to burst your bubble, it's going to happen.

erod

Reaction score
So what's going to be your argument when Denver pays Thomas and when Pittsburgh resigns their top WR? Because sorry to burst your bubble, it's going to happen.

How much?

I'm all for signing Dez long term, but not Calvin Johnson money. That stupidity is over.

And Super Bowl champions are winning without elite wide receivers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I'm going to be happy to see it because I believe it will mean each of those teams are headed for some hard cap years. That's an opportunity for us to either sign good players from them or draft better talent, based on the fact that other teams are signing good talent at need areas. I don't like either of those teams at all so I'm kinda struggling to see a down side here.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

If the Cowboys go 0-2 because Dez doesn't play then it's on him. And if he signs the franchise tag and doesn't play the same then it's on him too.

Rogah

Reaction score
Again, Dez has every right to fight for what he believes he's worth.
Yes he does, but don't piss on us and tell us it's raining. He should spare us the whole "gee I sure love the Dallas fans - but I'm not going to show up unless I get my way!" routine.

Bottom line is this: For all his bluster, I think he (i.e. his agent) knows that missing actual games is a lose-lose situation. He loses money in the short term and he loses money in the long term.

Romonater

Reaction score
He will play the first game unless he's dumber than a box of rocks.
How much?

I'm all for signing Dez long term, but not Calvin Johnson money. That stupidity is over.

And Super Bowl champions are winning without elite wide receivers.

I never once said that I disagreed with your assessment here. Great teams don't overpay wide receivers, BUT not every team has had Dez Bryant.

Status
Not open for further replies.