Dez will have no choice as Stephen declares Check mate

erod

Reaction score
It's not shocking you'd go down the dumb rabbit hole on this.

For starters, the "money is not drying up". Plenty of teams still have more than enough cap space. So this idea that if Dez refuses any restructure and the Cowboys cut him, that he'll be sitting on a street corner with a dented can collecting change because teams don't have cap space is idiotic.

The Cowboys cut Dez and someone will pay him. So no, the Cowboys don't have leverage over him in the form of him being basically relegated to a 4th WR type money if he's suddenly a FA.

You guys are letting your visceral hatred and bitterness towards Dez make you guys say really dumb things.

Teams aren't going to pay a premium if they don't have to. If only 2 or 3 teams have significant cap space, but only 1 team considers him an upgrade to what they have, that team is not going to bid against himself.

Dez will get a job, but the Cowboys will offer enough that he'd have to take a cut to leave by then.

foofighters

Reaction score
That what? He could go to the HOF? He easily could.

He's only 28 and already has the franchise record for TD receptions.

The guy can't do this type of stuff anymore?

I don't see tons of separation. Just a different QB.

You know, we can throw names out there like TO, Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin and others along with Dez and see what the common denominator was for each of their success. Granted TO did will in SF too, there is one QB that they all shared.
Ah- man..ah- man ah- man..are u serious...let me not be negative...thanks for the tutorial on cement & if ur being sarcastic then ok I get it...not actually funny but I get ur bit...now on the fr-fr side of things u& everybody knows what I'm eluding to. The poster said "cementing" in regards to rosters be set on respective teams. I was saying that can't be because Roster spots are fluid positions & are never really set or finalized. They are in constant movement therefore prohibiting them from being "cemented" or "concreted" according to u& preciate the tutorial champ!
lmao, I was being sarcastic but the kettle is calling you...

erod

Reaction score
At this point. I want them to cut him, him go somewhere else like the Pats or GB, put up crazy numbers and go for a ring. I would love to see all of those people lined up in a firing squad afterwords. This is just getting crazy

I don't care if he's here or not really. I think they need him, but I'm not convinced Dak is that interested in throwing his way into coverage.

If Dak can't use him, then what's the point?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The walls are about to close in on Dez Bryant.

The Cowboys aren't paying him his current salary next year. He says he won't take a pay cut.

But free agency lingers on. The money is drying up. The draft is around the corner. Rosters are cementing around the league.

Whenever Dallas makes their counter offer, it will exceed what teams have to offer on the open market. It'll be "take it or leave it", and he'll either stay where he's comfortable for a LOT less money, or he'll leave in defiance and take an even lesser prove-it deal elsewhere.

A team out there might be about to get a really good receiver for very cheap. Green Bay? New Orleans? New England? Seattle? Philadelphia?

The biggest thing Dez has going against him right now is that I don't think the Cowboys really care if he's here or not.
The biggest thing he has going against him is like Beckham..

Dez is a freakshow and doesn't know how to show gratitude for what has been given him.

Dallas is going to move on.

erod

Reaction score
You know, we can throw names out there like TO, Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin and others along with Dez and see what the common denominator was for each of their success. Granted TO did will in SF too, there is one QB that they all shared..

Look how Terrance Williams has declined. Sam Hurd, Patrick Crayton, even Gavin Escobar...they were all WAY more productive with that QB than without.

Dez was deadly with that back-shoulder game with Romo. That's not really Dak's thing. He likes the little quick routes and hitches.

Sydla

Reaction score
Teams aren't going to pay a premium if they don't have to. If only 2 or 3 teams have significant cap space, but only 1 team considers him an upgrade to what they have, that team is not going to bid against himself.

Dez will get a job, but the Cowboys will offer enough that he'd have to take a cut to leave by then.

So what do you think Dez would get if cut tomorrow? What would a team pay him?

I want to see some numbers here from you guys that claim the Cowboys have him over a barrel.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
IF we did cut him, I am sure without a doubt that the Rams would pick him up, pay him and then have him wreak havoc again on the NFL with a real QB. Is it really checkmate if we aren't getting better by cutting him, but instead making another team and more than likely and NFC team, better by adding him?

I think we're better off by cutting him. He doesn't fit the team, he doesn't fit Dak.

For the same reasons, there's a good chance *Dez* will be better off somewhere else. Also, going somewhere else, he'll work harder, and work *different*. He's already started that with his off season WR coaching.

Win-win.

It's not about hating Dez. It's about making the team better. The Cowboys without Dez but with his 12.5mil salary to spend elsewhere are *better*.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think we're better off by cutting him. He doesn't fit the team, he doesn't fit Dak.

For the same reasons, there's a good chance *Dez* will be better off somewhere else. Also, going somewhere else, he'll work harder, and work *different*. He's already started that with his off season WR coaching.

Win-win.

It's not about hating Dez. It's about making the team better. The Cowboys without Dez but with his 12.5mil salary to spend elsewhere are *better*.

Where we spending 12.5MM?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Look how Terrance Williams has declined. Sam Hurd, Patrick Crayton, even Gavin Escobar...they were all WAY more productive with that QB than without.

Dez was deadly with that back-shoulder game with Romo. That's not really Dak's thing. He likes the little quick routes and hitches.

Well Dak better hope he has learned something teams started sitting on those of game planning them forcing him to throw elsewhere.

zerofill

Reaction score
You know, we can throw names out there like TO, Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin and others along with Dez and see what the common denominator was for each of their success. Granted TO did will in SF too, there is one QB that they all shared

Yep, and those that think he wouldn't be the same Dez with a better QB, are wrong. I could see him going to SF, and I guarantee Garappolo will get the ball where it needs to be to utilize him.

But, if we are stuck with Dak... then I don't want to pay Dez, because that chemistry will never be there.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
This offseason clearly is gonna be about the competition to be the most negative towards Dez Bryant. Not bc they actually believe anything they say. But to have a popular thread and get replies.

Hey guys I think Dez Bryant should donate his limbs to someone who can actually catch a pass derp derp derp

Pants

Reaction score
ok, so my current thoughts on the WR position for the best case scenario:

* Dallas extends Dez for 3 years, lowers his cap hit by giving him a bonus that will be spread out over the 3 years and smaller salaries (Say, $10m bonus, then yearly of $4m, $7m, $8m...essentially, 3 years, $29m with $14m guaranteed - this season - he would get $14m in his pocket today, the cap gets hit for $7.3m - if he balls out, then $7m next year is nothing in salary and $10.3 cap)
* Dallas now has Dez, Hurns, Thompson, Switzer, Brown
- find a market for Beasley and Williams, get a 5th rounder in 2019 for beasley, whatever for Williams - the idea is the cap savings for them and also a new regime is starting to take effect
* Draft Moore (please, please, please no to Ridley)
- now you have Dez, Hurns, Moore, Switzer in the slot, Thompson and Brown fill out the roster

This gives Dak more targets and IMO, increases the level of play at the position (Hurns&Moore>>>>Williams/Beasley; Switzer replaces Beasley)
Having the top 3 of Dez/Hurns/Moore is significantly better than Dez/Williams/Beasley - if you think you can get by without giving some help when those 3 are out there, you would be mistaken, but in 2017, you could single each of Dez and Williams and focus on beasley...now, you had better watch out or Hurns will burn you...or how about the rookie? can't ignore him...if you focus on those two, now Dez is scarier....and what, in all that is good in the world, if the team decides to take one of the 4 or 5 good TE's in the 3rd round and actually finds a way to get them touches????

Dak = SB MVP...

ok, I think I just hurt myself

nobody

Reaction score
Dez keeps saying that it is about and has always been about respect and not the money, but refuses to consider taking less money for the sake of the team which would garner him a lot more respect.

Whatever he is anymore as a WR, he's certainly a hypocrite.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez keeps saying that it is about and has always been about respect and not the money, but refuses to consider taking less money for the sake of the team which would garner him a lot more respect.

Whatever he is anymore as a WR, he's certainly a hypocrite.

Yeah, at best.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Ebbs and flows. Don't worry. They will be high on him again tomorrow.

No seriously, even in mock drafts he is sliding. I remember he was considered a top 10 pick. Just because of combine workouts?