Dez will have no choice as Stephen declares Check mate

Q_the_man

Reaction score
If we were to cut Dez, I could see him joining the Rams but Dez is not going anywhere.

Ky31

Reaction score
The point is, he's either going to take a paycut here and stay or go somewhere else and take a paycut.....no team will pay a declining WR what he's making now.

He has defiled #88....Drew and Irvin both retired as Cowboys.......get to steppin Dez, #88 is only for team players that bleed Cowboys blue.
Dude...he’s getting paid if he leaves! Do you even watch the games...he absolutely bleeds blue and to say he doesn’t is wrong!

Verdict

Reaction score
So many people so sure about things, like that David Irving was going to be picked up with that 2nd round tender idea...
That's gone over well so far.

Yeah. They just "knew" it as if it had already happened.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards keeping Dez one more year to see if he and Dak can get in sync with one another, and using the top picks for defense and O Line. It would be interesting to see results from a poll of Cowboy fans to see what the percentage is for each category that want him gone, vs keeping him.

In here it seems like a loud small minority is in favor of moving Dez out this season, and a slightly larger group wanting to keep him, and a super large quiet group not chiming in, just waiting to see what the Cowboys decide.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
The money isn't really dried up in free agency. The 9ers and Rams need a WR and have tons of space and the Packers have around $13.5M in cap space.

A lot of teams have space so it will be interesting to see what Dez and his people decide when Jerry approaches them about this pay cut.

I would absolutely hate watching Dez and Aaron Rodgers knock us out of the playoffs for the next few years. It would make me physically sick. Just thinking about the possibility of it gives me all kinds of anxiety.

Why do people want Dez gone? I don’t get it. He has a unique skill set and he’s far from a bad player. This team should do all it can to keep him. IMO him being on the team this upcoming season and/or his contract shouldn’t even be a discussion point.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The money isn't really dried up in free agency. The 9ers and Rams need a WR and have tons of space and the Packers have around $13.5M in cap space.

A lot of teams have space so it will be interesting to see what Dez and his people decide when Jerry approaches them about this pay cut.

Imagine Dez a Packer OMG having Rodgers throwing to him ouch.... would we look like fools at the end of the day.....!!

Dez still has a lot of talent just isn't being utilized correctly...

stiletto

Reaction score
I will gladly put my posting rights for the upcoming season against anyone that thinks Dez is getting cut or will not be here. If he is cut/traded I will stop posting after the last pre-season game if he is on the roster come week one the ones that feel that he will be cut/traded cannot post starting after the lastpreseason game. Once week 17 is concluded posting can start back up.

I believe Dez will be cut loose from his current contract and offered another one by the team that is not RIDICULOUS.....that doesn't mean he won't still be on the team. It just means the Business side wants Dez, just not at the price Dez was costing. There needs to be an adjustment. Always FOLLOW THE MONEY....even in football. If he gets more elsewhere then so be it. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made especially with a fan favorite receiver that hasn't exactly lit it up in 3 or so years.

9of11

Reaction score
I dont understand why the Cowboys would ask Dez to take a pay cut because his stats are dropping and the Cowboys not take the same stand with Witten? Witten in my opinion should have taken a pay cut because his stats have been going down a lot longer than Dez but they extended him. What justified Witten getting an extension and not Dez? This is whats puzzling to me...

stiletto

Reaction score
I dont understand why the Cowboys would ask Dez to take a pay cut because his stats are dropping and the Cowboys not take the same stand with Witten? Witten in my opinion should have taken a pay cut because his stats have been going down a lot longer than Dez but they extended him. What justified Witten getting an extension and Dez not? This is whats puzzling to me...

Everyone on offense should be willing to do something after last season's suck.....Dez's cap numbers are just exuberant though....

9of11

Reaction score
Everyone on offense should be willing to do something after last season's suck.....Dez's cap numbers are just exuberant though....
Right, then extend Dez and keep him on the team.

9of11

Reaction score
Not at Elite WR numbers though. That would be stupid and just be kicking an OLD CAN down the road.
Cant the same be said for Witten...yet we kicked the can down the road...Dez is not a #1 any more....I actually never thought he was a number one...but thats a different story...I just think we are making a wrong move and its going to cost us this season....the guys we signed dont seem to scare anyone...we shall see.

stiletto

Reaction score
Cant the same be said for Witten...yet we kicked the can down the road...Dez is not a #1 any more....I actually never thought he was a number one...but thats a different story...I just think we are making a wrong move and its going to cost us this season....the guys we signed dont seem to scare anyone...we shall see.

I would say yeah BUT Witten is a 1-more year guy. Compared to Dez his cap # is minuscule. He also restructured recently to save 3.5 million towards the cap, so I am not sure why you are harping on Witten.... It's all about percentages. Dez is costing about 9.3% of the cap this season. Nearly 10% of the entire team. It's A LOT.

I like this site if anyone is interested in actually educating themselves:

https://overthecap.com/player/dez-bryant/623

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
This FRONT OFFICE is a mess....If Dallas cannot agree to terms with Dez, they will cut him. Production vs Pay is out of balance.... Dez will make his money while Jerry and Stephen wont get any return on their investment. The GM/Jerry & Stephen are terrible at trading their players, when is the last time they traded a player....and got something in return. The Jones' do not trade players, just catch and release...Sad to say, if Jerry cant agree on terms with Dez they will make him a June 1st cut, which means only return on their investment might be a comp pick in 2019 at the most.

The Cowboys front office and Jones' family are out of sync with how the rest of the NFL operates...following the same path as the Al Davis Raiders... Its time for this FO to step up. The status quo is not working

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
You know, we can throw names out there like TO, Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin and others along with Dez and see what the common denominator was for each of their success. Granted TO did will in SF too, there is one QB that they all shared.

lmao, I was being sarcastic but the kettle is calling you...
lol.. Calling the the pan the pot;'-)

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Imagine Dez a Packer OMG having Rodgers throwing to him ouch.... would we look like fools at the end of the day.....!!

Dez still has a lot of talent just isn't being utilized correctly...
How you doing Pappy? How's this Wednesday treating you?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I had to laugh when the Cowboys are blaming Dez for the last 3 years ...he hasn't had a 1000 yards receiving...

Well...who has been throwing him the football?

No Tony Romo...

Matt Cassell, Weeden...and the butt fumbler. Who in the hell is gonna get a thousand from that crew?

Dez isn't gonna take a cut. He might restructure...but He isn't taking a penny less. Book it.

And Stephen can huff and puff all he wants...Fact is...he has less clout than the old man....and nobody is listening.:cool: