Did Belichek lose SB 52 on purpose?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
ok I was watching some vids at youtube, on brady , career, why he left NE, and why TB.
I will post the other vids in this thread too.
but the why vids and the lose SB vid all sort of tie into each other.
It seems that Bellichek wanted to trade Brady for picks and go with Garappolo and Brisette, and Kraft instead
Traded those 2 for peanuts, and forced BB to go with Brady.

This made BB mad, and he evidently does not like Tom much, or blamed him .
So he decided to teach both Brady and Kraft a lesson.

He benched the starting cb or safety, right before the game started so no one could do anything about it.
And he didnt actively coach like he normally does.
He let his staff and Brady do it all themselves.
So all this led to Tom leaving , and even last year may have been residual effect of Brady and Tom
being not close anymore, and BB wanting him gone.

John813

Reaction score
I don't see it.

He then crafted an excellent defensive scheme the following year to beat the Rams.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
No coach would intentionally lose a Super Bowl. Especially because he's throwing a temper tantrum.

Sorry. I just don't buy it.

I agree. This is a silly idea. As for benching the corner, supposedly that corner had been horrible in the playoffs.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
other vids
The Brady 6..... this was very good on history of TB

why brady left ne
bradyleft pt 2 why tb
why pats traded jg and brisette

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't buy this either. That was the conspiracy theory when he benched Butler, but Butler wasn't very good the next year after he left them. I think it was as simple as Butler not practicing well and possibly being a locker room problem.

I do think he was mad at Kraft for not allowing him to trade Brady earlier, but I don't think he'd throw a Superbowl because of that. Why not just throw games before you even got there?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree. This is a silly idea. As for benching the corner, supposedly that corner had been horrible in the playoffs.
both u and the previous poster did not watch the videos! lol that is like commenting on something you did not read.
I just posted it so no way you had time to watch them/ it.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I do think he was mad at Kraft for not allowing him to trade Brady earlier, but I don't think he'd throw a Superbowl because of that. Why not just throw games before you even got there?

Yeah, plus I think any grief over that was long gone by the time Brady was voted League MVP at the end of 2017.

Belichick's entire MO before, during, and after the alleged controversy has been "win at all costs."

Side note, Butler only played in his first Super Bowl because Belichick made an impulse decision to bench an established starter at corner in THAT game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don't buy this either. That was the conspiracy theory when he benched Butler, but Butler wasn't very good the next year after he left them. I think it was as simple as Butler not practicing well and possibly being a locker room problem.

Well why wait till the game is starting to bench butler??
Losing the SB on purpose would have more impact than just losing a playoff game.
But you need to watch the vid 1st.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
The Pats are like hamburger meat. Done. They won't win the division w/o Brady in the backfield. jmho

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Sometimes you get tired of being a domineering person, so you let the underlings handle things. I know because I've done that in the past. You let them run things, they mess it up and learn that you are a big piece of the puzzle. They learn that they need your leadership and guidance.

So if Belichick is putting together a game plan and he's being challenged by the staff or the players, let them take the reigns and see what happens.

:popcorn:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
BB would never admit it if he did, and he had to be subtle about it, but the message was directed at only 2 people, Kraft and Tom.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The Pats are like hamburger meat. Done. They won't win the division w/o Brady in the backfield. jmho

Their roster was cooked in 2019 and is only shaping up to be worse in 2020 with several other departures and no cap space.

That was true whether or not Brady stayed or left.

I think Brady didn't want to spend his final years treading water while the roster rotted around him, and Belichick didn't want to spend cap space on a 43 year old guy in the hopes he could finish rebuilding the rest of the roster before he retired. The breakup made sense this year for both sides.

The Patriots are in great shape cap-wise in 2021, but will still need a huge helping of luck to get a QB anywhere near Tom Brady's level. Even Old 2018-2019 Brady, never mind the 2007-2017 version.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well I do wonder what BB does now, does he have a quick fix in mind? or slow casual rebuild ? Tank a season or 2 for some good draft picks?
It is also odd that they let Tom go, even though they seem unprepared for his departure.
BB could have put a tag on Tom, but no it was just bye bye , have fun in TB without me lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Their roster was cooked in 2019 and is only shaping up to be worse in 2020 with several other departures and no cap space.

That was true whether or not Brady stayed or left.

I think Brady didn't want to spend his final years treading water while the roster rotted around him, and Belichick didn't want to spend cap space on a 43 year old guy in the hopes he could finish rebuilding the rest of the roster before he retired. The breakup made sense this year for both sides.

The Patriots are in great shape cap-wise in 2021, but will still need a huge helping of luck to get a QB anywhere near Tom Brady's level. Even Old 2018-2019 Brady, never mind the 2007-2017 version.
good point, that is what I thought before watching this vid.
But BB could have orchestrated the demise of the offense by not replacing talent like he used to.
He let it grind down to just brady and edleman. The defense was still fairly good.

Plankton

Reaction score
giphy.gif