Did Denver Botch 9 with Surtain

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Mods if this needs to be in the NFL that is fine I put it here since it affected our pic.

Very good talk with Sturm on the Ticket today about Denver’s pick. The conversation revolved around them being influenced by MAYBE getting Rodgers and skipping QB. Justin Fields was there and they have Drew Lock and Bridgewater. Even if Surtain is a 10 yr starter, if Fields is a stud then they missed out on 5 yrs of a young QB, at least, for a DB snd a hope of Rodgers. It may work out but that’s risky for a FO to work off hope of a deal.

Miller

Reaction score
I 100% believe they took him with the intention of trading for Rodgers. SF took their QB; they’re off the list. Denver will end up with him if he’s serious about bailing. Nobody botched this as bad as GB

Could be but let’s say GB turns and just gives Rodgers everything and he’s like “I’m a GB lifer” because he didn’t want to leave his teammates. Denver is stuck with no real QB and a DB you hope is a stud. The value of an upside QB there is so big and it’s why Chicago took their shot

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Could be but let’s say GB turns and just gives Rodgers everything and he’s like “I’m a GB lifer” because he didn’t want to leave his teammates. Denver is stuck with no real QB and a DB you hope is a stud. The value of an upside QB there is so big snd it’s why Chicago took their shot
Every risk has it's downside.

Miller

Reaction score
Every risk has it's downside.

Agree! It was just an interesting conversation about how this rumor got things in motion and Sturm was saying the only time in the 1st to move up is if your guy is there. So Denver’s gamble was a boon for Chicago

conner01

Reaction score
Mods if this needs to be in the NFL that is fine I put it here since it affected our pic.

Very good talk with Sturm on the Ticket today about Denver’s pick. The conversation revolved around them being influenced by MAYBE getting Rodgers and skipping QB. Justin Fields was there and they have Drew Lock and Bridgewater. Even if Surtain is a 10 yr starter, if Fields is a stud then they missed out on 5 yrs of a young QB, at least, for a DB snd a hope of Rodgers. It may work out but that’s risky for a FO to work off hope of a deal.
Maybe they didn’t like fields
The odds are of all the QB taken this week one or two will be a starter in 4 years
The majority of QB’s are busts or nothing more than a decent backup

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Could be but let’s say GB turns and just gives Rodgers everything and he’s like “I’m a GB lifer” because he didn’t want to leave his teammates. Denver is stuck with no real QB and a DB you hope is a stud. The value of an upside QB there is so big and it’s why Chicago took their shot

The pickle GB is in though is they took a QB with their first last year. They want Rodgers to restructure and then cut ties in 1-2 years, he wants an extension so they cant dump him. If they extend him, theyre basically admitting Jourdan Love was a colossal mistake... which I think they're far too proud to do. If A-Rod doesn't get a guarantee hes a packer until he's 40, i think hes gone, and I dont think GB is in any position to give him that guarantee. They're idiots and they will pay for it. Jourdan Love isn't worth losing one of the greatest QBs who ever lived, I do believe he'll follow Brady into his 40's.

Motorola

Reaction score

Before the QB merry-go-round started, I viewed a few mocks with the Broncos selecting Surtain as their 1st pick. My early perusal of the draft predictions also showed LB Parsons as a player Denver coveted.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes they blew it because justin fields was right there and i think he was the 2nd best qb this draft. But they saved us because i think pat surtain will just be a guy at the NFL level and he wasnt there for us to take. I like Joseph more than surtain

Bigdog

Reaction score
They may have but their HC was zeroed in on getting Surtain if he was there from what people said but of course that is what they are going to say.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Elway hasn't had much luck drafting QBs, even in the first round. If they were set on drafting a QB why bother trading for Bridgewater and taking his contract off Carolina's hands?

If they work out a deal for Rodgers, which is still possible, it'll be for future draft picks. Bridgewater could go along for the ride to give GB a veteran with Jordan Love, or GB takes Lock as the cheaper option. Either way they'll want draft picks in case Love isn't the answer, not Surtain.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They must think more highly of Bridgwater than most of us do. IMHO, they most certainly botched that pick but they don't see it that way. Their pick at 9 would have been our pick at 10 had they picked a QB. So who is to say at this point it was really a mistake. Only time will tell. If they do end up getting Aaron Rodgers, they'll still be a contender for the SB.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Yes.

You have no QB until you have a good QB.

They don't have a QB. Unless they land Rodgers they just set back their team a few seasons minimum.

Rodgers isn't going anywhere. I'll believe it when I see it.