Did Denver Botch 9 with Surtain

Brooksey

Reaction score
John Elway couldn't have been that impressed with Justin Fields

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
John Elway is a terrible GM.

Drew Lock is not a good QB who has a good game 1/6 times. Check down Teddy is a bad NFL QB who you will never win with.. I have no idea what Elway is doing but he absolutely should have taken Justin Fields.

CWR

Reaction score
I was actually shocked when BOTH teams passed on QB. Both teams need a QB. Nothing makes me believe what they have on the roster is sufficient.

Having an opportunity like they both had is rare and to pass on it for a CB is crazy imo.

The other one that baffled me was the Bengals taking a WR instead of a locked and loaded franchise LT.

Oh, and Atlanta not taking a QB either lol.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I 100% believe they took him with the intention of trading for Rodgers. SF took their QB; they’re off the list. Denver will end up with him if he’s serious about bailing. Nobody botched this as bad as GB
GB is facing a 40 million cap hit for trading or cutting Rodgers. He’s not going anywhere. If they do it after June 1 it’s POSSIBLE since they can split it over 2 years but 20 million this late in a reduced cap anyway would be hard to stomach.

John813

Reaction score
I was actually shocked when BOTH teams passed on QB. Both teams need a QB. Nothing makes me believe what they have on the roster is sufficient.

Having an opportunity like they both had is rare and to pass on it for a CB is crazy imo.

The other one that baffled me was the Bengals taking a WR instead of a locked and loaded franchise LT.

Oh, and Atlanta not taking a QB either lol.

Think they caved to wanting to keep their QB happy.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Think they caved to wanting to keep their QB happy.

Probably, in their defense they got a hell of a WR. I would want to protect my investment though, and keep him clean. I guess their decision goes a ways towards not having an Aaron Rodgers situation down the road. Lol

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I still don’t understand why GB drafted the QB in the 1st round last year.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
How so? There is no owner to give the final answer. It is a corporation with board of directors, shareholders, etc..

No matter who is at fault, when a 3 time MVP says he doesn't want to play for the FO all of the FO jobs are in danger. The fans \ shareholders will directly correlate AR with winning. He has skins on the wall. The others are replaceable.
How so? There is no owner to give the final answer. It is a corporation with board of directors, shareholders, etc..

No matter who is at fault, when a 3 time MVP says he doesn't want to play for the FO all of the FO jobs are in danger. The fans \ shareholders will directly correlate AR with winning. He has skins on the wall. The others are replaceable.
Mark Murphy has been President and CEO of Packers since 2007. He is in charge. He won't be trading Rodgers.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Mark Murphy has been President and CEO of Packers since 2007. He is in charge. He won't be trading Rodgers.

Rodgers is driving the train though. Whatever he decides, decides their fate. If he chooses not to play because the won't trade him, those called out by Rodgers are ruined. They will lose their jobs & be out of football. Forever known as the guys who couldn't keep a 3 time league MVP in the fold on a team that just went to back to back NFC championships.
AR has already been cemented as one of the best ever & the bust is in storage in Canton just waiting to for the day. Financially secure. He is fine either way.
At the end of the day, Mark Murphy may decide he has no choice but to fire them now in an attempt to salvage the situation. Cause he certainly doesn't want his career and legacy flushed down the toilet especially if AR's grievance is really focused on folks lower in the organization.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
yeah Panthers and Denver were not in a position to draft corner given their QB situation .

Carolina traded for Darnold, picked up his option, then dispatched Bridgewater (and his contract) to Denver.

They wouldn't have done those things if they planned to draft a QB at #8. They've committed to giving Darnold a second chance outside of the dysfunction known as the New York Jets, even if some don't think it's a good idea. That was apparent before the draft.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Rodgers is driving the train though. Whatever he decides, decides their fate. If he chooses not to play because the won't trade him, those called out by Rodgers are ruined. They will lose their jobs & be out of football. Forever known as the guys who couldn't keep a 3 time league MVP in the fold on a team that just went to back to back NFC championships.
AR has already been cemented as one of the best ever & the bust is in storage in Canton just waiting to for the day. Financially secure. He is fine either way.
At the end of the day, Mark Murphy may decide he has no choice but to fire them now in an attempt to salvage the situation. Cause he certainly doesn't want his career and legacy flushed down the toilet especially if AR's grievance is really focused on folks lower in the organization.
Nobody is losing their jobs and ruined over a known primadonna who does not get along well with others. Mark Murphy career and legacy down the toilet - you really are a bit dramatic here.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Nobody is losing their jobs and ruined over a known primadonna who does not get along well with others. Mark Murphy career and legacy down the toilet - you really are a bit dramatic here.

Your right. There won't be intense public & media pressure on the organization if the completely healthy Hall of Fame player simply chooses to retire because you aren't giving him weapons and you are trying to time his exit. It will all be sunshine & roses. Murphy will probably get executive of the year for getting the prima donna off the team.

There won't be any divisions within the organization. Everyone will step right up and say yeah we all agreed the MVP had to go. No one will worry how the collapse of the team will reflect on them or look out for their own interests.

I admit I still have trouble reconciling most organizations give a viable QB whatever he wants as long as he is being productive but in this case they would sink the ship rather than admit that they got caught trying to prepare for his demise while he's still earning MVP's.

I forgot public opinion always favors the faceless organization over the Hall of Fame player. Thank you for reminding me.

conner01

Reaction score
LOL - one or two will be starters in 4 years? I know 3 who are going to start Day One.
Most will be day one starters
That doesn’t mean they will be starters very long
Look at history my friend
The majority of 1st round QB’s are busts

Flamma

Reaction score
My Denver friends (and I have a lot of them) were upset they passed on Parsons, not a QB. One CB is only under contract for one more year, but they already have 2 good CBs.

So they're ok with Drew Lock? I wouldn't be. Say the Cowboys let Dak walk, would you be ok with Dallas drafting Surtain?

kskboys

Reaction score
Carolina traded for Darnold, picked up his option, then dispatched Bridgewater (and his contract) to Denver.

They wouldn't have done those things if they planned to draft a QB at #8. They've committed to giving Darnold a second chance outside of the dysfunction known as the New York Jets, even if some don't think it's a good idea. That was apparent before the draft.
Darnold's prolly still a better prospect than Fields.

kskboys

Reaction score

Drew Lock is not a good QB who has a good game 1/6 times. Check down Teddy is a bad NFL QB who you will never win with.. I have no idea what Elway is doing but he absolutely should have taken Justin Fields.
Can't disagree

Flamma

Reaction score
GB is facing a 40 million cap hit for trading or cutting Rodgers. He’s not going anywhere. If they do it after June 1 it’s POSSIBLE since they can split it over 2 years but 20 million this late in a reduced cap anyway would be hard to stomach.

If they cut him. If they trade him it's around 20 million in dead cap.

Flamma

Reaction score

He's hell bent on getting Aaron Rodgers. The same way he got Manning. That's the only reason I can think of.