Did Garrett answer the 4th-and-1 play question after the game?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
On the 4th and 1 when Zek ran up the middle right at Donald and Suh, the QB sneak was wide open to the left of our center. The QB sneak should be an automatic audible in this situation! How come we did not run the QB sneak? Brady does it every time when the defense is aligned like the Ram’s D was.

Coaching Matters!!
Probably because you picked a rb 4th overall and have high priced pieces all over the freaking offensive line.

Is it too much to ask for a yard in that situation with the season on the line?

But yes let's blame the freaking coaches for running at an average defense who was bottom 10 against the run.

More fan malpractice.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Zeke is a BEAST, but he's no Walter Payton.

And yes, Sweetness would have easily gotten that 1st down!

Along with our Emmitt!

Like I said, amazing how people can see things so differently. That play had no chance. I don’t blame Zek at all. He gave it everything he had on that play.

That was the dumbest play call of the year. It basically ended our season. The QB sneak was WIDE open!!!

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
I dont give a dam if you got freaking Jim Brown lined up at RB, to run directly into a 9 man front against probably the 2 best DTs in the game is just stupid. Especially considering you have a backup center and a rookie at Guard that is physically the weakest guy on the line.

Come on man, take of the homer glasses for a second and tell me you cant think of a million plays that are better than this option. To run behind your backup center and rookie guard against the two best DTs in the game against a 9 man front...…..WOW...…..you actually think that was a good play. You would actually draw up that play on the sideline and think, "yes, this is going to work great".

WOW...……….i'm speechless dude.

Are you talking about running the ball period, or you just didn't like the type of run?

Because if that OL and that RB cannot be counted on to pick up a single yard in a playoff game...then can we please stop calling them "dominant"? Again, I am no big fan of the coaches...but the entire league believes this offense's only functional aspect is their ability to run with Zeke. Then put the ball in the hands of "your best, most impactful, and engine" and pick up a yard.

If they cannot even do that against a defense that was suspect at best stopping the run...then the nonsense about Dallas having a "dominant" running game needs to die a quick death.

And please, if we are going to talk about the injuries on the OL...where was this discussion when Dak was getting sacked the second most in the league? All we got was "Dak holds the ball for too long causing the sacks." Yet when Zeke (the best RB in the NFL) can't get a yard we get "his OL was injured"? Really?

Alohawg1

Reaction score
IMO the play call should have been something that allowed Dak to go get the first down, either with his legs or arm. I thought that before the play and still do.

like the next 4th dn play they called that worked?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Probably because you picked a rb 4th overall and have high priced pieces all over the freaking offensive line.

Is it too much to ask for a yard in that situation with the season on the line? YES

But yes let's blame the freaking coaches for running at an average defense who was bottom 10 against the run. In this game they were controlling the LOS.

More fan malpractice.
Have you seen the replay. There was a gap around 3 feet wide just to the left of the center. In this particular game the Rams were controlling the LOS all game long. We should have run the QB sneak or went play action, but definitely not run right into the teeth of the defense.

Being predictable gets teams beat. Like I said, if Belicheat was Garrett in that situation there is NO WAY he runs that play.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Like I said, amazing how people can see things so differently. That play had no chance. I don’t blame Zek at all. He gave it everything he had on that play.

That was the dumbest play call of the year. It basically ended our season. The QB sneak was WIDE open!!!
2jZsxN7.jpg

(blue arrow direction) Where Zeke ran. Straight into the pile. Even then, it was open up high where he easily could have pulled a Walter Payton or Emmitt Smith and leaped over the pile to get that 1 yard for an easy 1st down. Problem is he can't do it.

(red arrow direction) Where Zeke should have run. There was a small lane open to the right of Ndamukong Suh for Zeke to run through for an easy 1 yard 1st down. Instead, he grabbed the handoff and went with his head down straight into the pile for a loss.

Absolutely bad effort from Zeke.

Zeke is great, but he's no Walter or Emmitt.

"Feed me! Feed me!" Nope.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
2jZsxN7.jpg

(blue arrow direction) Where Zeke ran. Straight into the pile. Even then, it was open up high where he easily could have pulled a Walter Payton or Emmitt Smith and leaped over the pile to get that 1 yard for an easy 1st down. Problem is he can't do it.

(red arrow direction) Where Zeke should have run. There was a small lane open to the right of Ndamukong Suh for Zeke to run through for an easy 1 yard 1st down. Instead, he grabbed the handoff and went with his head down straight into the pile for a loss.

Absolutely bad effort from Zeke.

Zeke is great, but he's no Walter or Emmitt.

"Feed me! Feed me!" Nope.
We’ll have to agree to disagree, but your wrong on this one. You just made my point. Look at your red arrow. On a QB sneak Dak would have already had the 1st down to the right of Suh when Zek was getting the ball!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We run that play successfully in that situation all the time. This is rank second-guessing because it didn’t work.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We’ll have to agree to disagree, but your wrong on this one. You just made my point. Look at your red arrow. On a QB sneak Dak would have already had the 1st down to the right of Suh when Zek was getting the ball!
No, you're wrong. Dead wrong. 1 freaking yard with 2 options of where to go, but Zeke can't do it. So disappointing.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Are you talking about running the ball period, or you just didn't like the type of run?

Because if that OL and that RB cannot be counted on to pick up a single yard in a playoff game...then can we please stop calling them "dominant"? Again, I am no big fan of the coaches...but the entire league believes this offense's only functional aspect is their ability to run with Zeke. Then put the ball in the hands of "your best, most impactful, and engine" and pick up a yard.

If they cannot even do that against a defense that was suspect at best stopping the run...then the nonsense about Dallas having a "dominant" running game needs to die a quick death.

And please, if we are going to talk about the injuries on the OL...where was this discussion when Dak was getting sacked the second most in the league? All we got was "Dak holds the ball for too long causing the sacks." Yet when Zeke (the best RB in the NFL) can't get a yard we get "his OL was injured"? Really?

I got no problem with a run play there, in fact a pitch or off-tackle run would have been ideal.

What I am talking about is lining up and running a straight ahead dive play with 10 guys in the box. That is what the defense was playing for, so why run a play the defense is expecting?

It comes back to this whole non-sense of just beat the guy infront of you no matter the situation.

Do you think it is a smart move to run the exact play the defense is aligned for?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Have you seen the replay. There was a gap around 3 feet wide just to the left of the center. In this particular game the Rams were controlling the LOS all game long. We should have run the QB sneak or went play action, but definitely not run right into the teeth of the defense.

Being predictable gets teams beat. Like I said, if Belicheat was Garrett in that situation there is NO WAY he runs that play.
Being predictable? We ran 4 different 4th down plays.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We really miss having a QB who can audible.

But it doesn’t matter what played would have been called if it failed . It’s usually a great call if it works and idiotic if it doesn’t.

We’re a talent dependent team.
Your a sensible guy. Look at the replay. The QB sneak is wide open. It is Garrett’s job to drum it into Dak’s Head. Run the QB sneak when the other team is giving it to you. It is not Rocket Science. Brady does it ever time when the other team gives it to him.

My point Garrwtt should have coached this up so much that calling the QB sneak was automatic for Dak.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on this forum.

You should give Belichick and Brady a call and let them know they've been doing it all wrong all these years.

It's made more absurd given that Dak's strength is his running ability and this forum has been screaming for him to run more all season.

Doubly more absurd trying to tie salary into it given that in a short time Dak is going to be making more than Zeke and wil be paid as the leader of this team, unfortunately.

More absurdities available at your request.

Damn man. Get your emotional man crush under control and give some logic and reason a try.

Tom Brady is the GOAT and is respected as such...if he wanted...he would also be paid as such...Still, he is one of the most highly compensated persons (deserving so) to ever step onto a football field given his career earnings to date.

None of which applies to Dak. In fact, Dak is "the worst QB in the NFL." So I would expect Brady to take things into his own hands at critical moments...the 70th highest paid QB in the league this year...not so much. And beyond that...

Per people like you, Dak shouldn't even be trusted to start up a car;

Per people like you, Dak has a "dominant running game;" and

Per people like you, the day Dak ever limits the touches of Zeke is the day that Dak should be ex-communicated from the Dallas Cowboys for all eternity.

Well, time for his "dominant running game" to go get a yard. Hand off the ball to Zeke and let the "dominant running game" take over a bad Ram's run defense. Also, let's remember that Zeke needs to touch the ball "in order for the Cowboys to have any shot." So the fact that people like you are now moaning about Dak not keeping the ball is the height of hypocrisy.

But that is par for the course, for people like you.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Simple question? Do you think our offense is predictable?

Do you think our plays are basic compared to the better offenses?
It is predictable. That's a function of a limited qb and a misallocation of team resources.

When it works everyone praises running down another teams throat and "imposing our will."

When it doesn't we're a predictable mess and fire everyone.

I have a lot of problems with this team. Running the ball with Zeke on 4th and 1 with the season on the line isn't one of them.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I got no problem with a run play there, in fact a pitch or off-tackle run would have been ideal.

What I am talking about is lining up and running a straight ahead dive play with 10 guys in the box. That is what the defense was playing for, so why run a play the defense is expecting?

It comes back to this whole non-sense of just beat the guy infront of you no matter the situation.

Do you think it is a smart move to run the exact play the defense is aligned for?
It’s incredibly stupid, especially when pre snap and post snap the QB sneak was wide open. Look at the photo the guy posted of the red line. Dak would have been the point of the red line. Garrett should have drummed it into Dak’s head, QB sneak in that situation!!!

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Tom Brady is the GOAT and is respected as such...if he wanted...he would also be paid as such...Still, he is one of the most highly compensated persons (deserving so) to ever step onto a football field given his career earnings to date.

None of which applies to Dak.

Per people like you, Dak shouldn't even be trusted to start up a car;

Per people like you, Dak has a "dominant running game;" and

Per people like you, the day Dak ever limits the touches of Zeke is the day that Dak should be ex-communicated from the Dallas Cowboys for all eternity.

Well, time for his "dominant running game" to go get a yard. Hand off the ball to Zeke and let the "dominant running game" take over a bad Ram's run defense. Also, let's remember that Zeke needs to touch the ball "in order for the Cowboys to have any shot." So the fact that people like you are now moaning about Dak not keeping the ball is the height of hypocrisy.

But that is par for the course, for people like you.
Wow

Very emotional rant.

Did not address the points made in any way but it was a nice emotional rant.

Par for the course for people like you.

You should check out some of Dak's college film. He is a very very good runner with the football.

You should check out some footage of the Pat's anytime during the last decade and a half. The QB sneak has been their goto in short yardage. Dak should be better at it than Brady given his size and experience running.

No?

Sevenup3000

Reaction score

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the call. Can't tell you how many times I have heard that "SL gets too cute in the redzone...he should just run power even if there are 11 guys in the box and let Dallas talented OL and RB take it from there."

And I mean it's a yard. The "best running game" in the NFL has got to be able to pick up a yard in critical situations.

Which is funny because I cannot count how many times Seattle's "best running game" or Carolina's "best running game" failed to pick up a yard. But if you call yourself the best running game in the league...and your RB is paid as such...and your OL is paid as such...and you get every accolade as such...

You gotta pick up that yard.

BoltsNHorns

RamsFan
Reaction score
If Marinelli calls for a naked bootleg, like the one Goff ran to end the game, Dak is dancing in the end zone.

McVay said Goff called that play, it was his option on what he wanted to do. Dak didn't do that when he had the chance.