News: Did Giants fail by drafting Kadarius Toney instead of Cowboys’ Micah Parsons

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Only reason Parsons was available to us at our pick was because he opted out. If he played last year and showed half of what he has now he would have been a top 4 pick

the Boys struck Gold again....but of course we will mess it up doing something Jerry like during season like keep Zeke # 1 RB instead of installing Pollard

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Giants cut a good deal with Chicago to gain what's going to be a slam dunk 2022 top 10 pick, maybe even top 5. There are some extremely talented defenders at the top this year, and some of those guys like Derek Stingley, Aiden Hutchinson or Kyle Hamilton could really cut down on the Parsons crowing if they play up to their potential.

The problem was that the Giants gained a first rounder, but they completely blew most of what they gained by spending their original first rounder on Kadarius Toney. He's obviously a monster talent, but there are just so many things that fit wrong with him in New York, and it was clear they didn't fit all the way back in April.
  • He has a reputation for being a difficult-to-coach head case, and he's proven it this year (calling out Garrett on Twitter, punching Kazee, etc). Garrett and Joe Judge are not the kind of staff who can manage that.
  • His special sauce is making plays after the catch. Garrett is/was an incredibly lazy schemer, he wants 6'2" 210 lb X wideouts who can stay glued to the sideline on gos and comebacks, and has no idea how to use a 5'11" 190 Percy Harvin clone.
  • The Giants had already dumped a ton of money on receivers. Toney's like the #4 option in an anemic passing offense and barely gets used. The depth chart was clear as far back as March, so spending the #20 pick on a dude who you KNEW was likely going to be buried is baffling.
Maybe Toney emerges next season as the Giants #1 wideout and gets 1000 yards just by sheer force of talent. He has that kind of potential. But the most likely outcome IMO is a trade out of New York in the next year or two, where the Giants get pennies on their dollar CJ Hendo style.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Its not even a hindsight thing though. Who knew what Parsons would become but he at the very least was a solid linebacker prospect....you have Slayton and Sheperd with Engram...you gave Golladay BIG TIME money. On what planet did they need a receiver?
no, no , no.... apparently most of the people on this board knew what Parsons would be.,.. but it was only our front office that just lucked out into him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
no, no , no.... apparently most of the people on this board knew what Parsons would be.,.. but it was only our front office that just lucked out into him.
They're full of it. If you want a laugh go to the Draft day thread and see how many people REALLY knew Parsons was going to be what he is lol. Its truly a joke.

kskboys

Reaction score
They're full of it. If you want a laugh go to the Draft day thread and see how many people REALLY knew Parsons was going to be what he is lol. Its truly a joke.
I was completely amazed that so many didn't have a clue of his skillset and potential.I wanted us to trade up for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was completely amazed that so many didn't have a clue of his skillset and potential.I wanted us to trade up for him.
Aye I was all for taking the corners I won't say otherwise. But when those guys went off the board to me it was a no brainer to go Parsons. He was the only guy left who could make impact on this defense day 1. I also didn't see the Giants passing up Parsons if given the shot.

John813

Reaction score
Cowboys got lucky the 9 teams ahead of them decided to go offense/corner.
(Minus the obvious first two picks that were set in stone).

kskboys

Reaction score
Aye I was all for taking the corners I won't say otherwise. But when those guys went off the board to me it was a no brainer to go Parsons. He was the only guy left who could make impact on this defense day 1. I also didn't see the Giants passing up Parsons if given the shot.
Opposite here. Parsons was simply a better prospect than either corner. He, Barbie, and Sewell were easily the top 3 prospects in this draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Opposite here. Parsons was simply a better prospect than either corner. He, Barbie, and Sewell were easily the top 3 prospects in this draft.
Well my stance on Parsons was he was a linebacker. Its been proven you can find linebackers in the 2nd or 3rd round...hell I think we ended up with Cox in the 4th round and I would've been alright with that in the 2nd round.

I just saw the possibility of having Diggs and Horn/Surtain for cheap for 4 years? A hell of a luxury. I didn't think Parsons would be this good. I won't even lie.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well my stance on Parsons was he was a linebacker. Its been proven you can find linebackers in the 2nd or 3rd round...hell I think we ended up with Cox in the 4th round and I would've been alright with that in the 2nd round.

I just saw the possibility of having Diggs and Horn/Surtain for cheap for 4 years? A hell of a luxury. I didn't think Parsons would be this good. I won't even lie.
Man, you should've read his scouting report. It was amazing. "Rips through would be blockers like a tornado, putting on a clinic when it comes do disengaging w/o sacrificing yardage." And then when he ran a 4.39 forty at the combine!! Holy crapp, at his size that's not even fair!!! He was simply the package, lateral agility, burst, flexibility, instincts, strength. You just don't find players like him. Everything about him screamed generational talent!!! I was beyond excited when we actually took him. I was terrified it was going to be another MO like pick, passing up the Fletcher Cox of the draft to take a CB w/ a 3rd round skillset.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Man, you should've read his scouting report. It was amazing. "Rips through would be blockers like a tornado, putting on a clinic when it comes do disengaging w/o sacrificing yardage." And then when he ran a 4.39 forty at the combine!! Holy crapp, at his size that's not even fair!!! He was simply the package, lateral agility, burst, flexibility, instincts, strength. You just don't find players like him. Everything about him screamed generational talent!!! I was beyond excited when we actually took him. I was terrified it was going to be another MO like pick, passing up the Fletcher Cox of the draft to take a CB w/ a 3rd round skillset.
Scouting reports....they mean nothing to me because I remember Jadvaeon Clowney's...at his size probably one of the best ones you'd see. But college scouting reports don't always transfer to the NFL.

And Mo had a far better skillset than a 3rd rounder. I still believe his issues stemmed from injuries and missing training camps...and hell probably even coaching. I don't look at it as passing up Fletcher Cox because no way do you take Fletcher Cox at the #6 spot when you trade up and we needed corner help. Probably would've paid Brandon Carr and Mo Claiborne just like they did lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Scouting reports....they mean nothing to me because I remember Jadvaeon Clowney's...at his size probably one of the best ones you'd see. But college scouting reports don't always transfer to the NFL.

And Mo had a far better skillset than a 3rd rounder. I still believe his issues stemmed from injuries and missing training camps...and hell probably even coaching. I don't look at it as passing up Fletcher Cox because no way do you take Fletcher Cox at the #6 spot when you trade up and we needed corner help. Probably would've paid Brandon Carr and Mo Claiborne just like they did lol.
One player shouldn't sway you that much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, try Lindy's. They don't make stupid predictions, they simply tell you what a draftee has.

No, Royce, he didn't. He lacked speed and burst. His high INT numbers got him overdrafted. He's one of the guys who just puzzles me as to how so many scouts fell for the hoopla. It's like a couple got rumors started about him and everyone bought into it. One of the strangest things I've ever seen.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I’m sure if the draft was redone Parsons would have never come close to falling to us or the Giants…

Flamma

Reaction score
I occasionally lurk on the Big Blue Interactive forum. There is a lot of gnashing of teeth over there that they could have potentially drafted Parsons with pick #11 if they hadn’t traded down to #20.

Both the Giants and Eagles are whining about it. They haven't picked a LB in the first round in decades. The last time the Giants drafted a LB in the first round was Carl Banks in 1984. The Giants would have picked WR Smith at #11. They traded back because the Eagles took him.

The Eagles haven't drafted an LB in the first round since 1979. Over 40 years ago.