Did Jason Garrett Overreact to Criticism?

Everson24

Reaction score
In reviewing the first half of the season it seems we were rolling along quite well on offense until game four against the Commanders. They had a great defensive game plan in place that would show an 8 or 9 man front which would then cause Romo to audible out of a running play only to back their safetys off at the snap. This fooled the Cowboys into only 11 running plays and the criticism Jason Garret took from the media was relentless.

Since that game he seems to be calling running plays on almost every first down almost as a way to reach his quota of running plays per game, and as a result the Cowboys have lost their offensive identity.

If you think back to last year we were a pass first to set up the run type offense and we never deviated from that until the playoff loss to the Giants.

I think Jason Garrett has overreacted to his critics and he needs to just get back to what we do best like spreading it out and running more out of those formations. Romo is also at his best in a more up tempo offense.

I just hope Garrett realizes this before it is too late.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Something tells me the running on first down all the time has a lot more to do with who his QB has been in 3 of those 5 games then it has to do with quotas or what the media had to say.

Everson24

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2412637 said:
Something tells me the running on first down all the time has a lot more to do with who his QB has been in 3 of those 5 games then it has to do with quotas or what the media had to say.

I would agree except this pattern was evident in both the Cincy game and the Cardinals game with Romo at QB.

jdnelson103

Reaction score
Anytime we allow the defense to dictate what plays we run, we're asking to lose the game. I realize that sometimes, some teams have to take what the defense will give them, but with as many playmakers that we have on this offense we should be able to say "Here's what we're going to do, now you try and stop us".

The good teams like Indy and New England impose their will on the other teams defense. We have enough talent to do the same thing.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
I agree. We are obviously a pass first team and our passing game is our strength.

Just like when we began running Marion Barber a lot against the Giants last year in the playoffs. That wasn't what got us to that point. We should have easily scored 30 plus against the Giants but all we got was 17 points.

links18

Reaction score
The problem with the offense is that we cannot man-up and run the ball very well on 1st down. We need to be able to run the ball right at the defense and get 4 yards or more, yet we haven't been able to do that--setting up 2nd and long, in which situation the defense knows we are going to pass. Conversely, if we have 1st down incompletion, Garrett has been stubborn about running Barber right into the back of the offensive line on 2nd down, setting up 3rd and long.

Garrett needs to get more creative with the play-calling. Having Romo back will help, but Garrett needs to mix it up more and for christ sakes throw some screen passes. Also, Barber needs to learn to stop side stepping so much and take what the defense is giving him. He wants that 15 yard run on every-play. He needs to learn to run it at the defense and at least make positive yardage, instead of side-stepping for a loss.

arync

Reaction score
I think in the Bengals and Cards gave he knew he had to attempt to run the football to try to get some balance. Plus, the Bengals had problems stopping the run all year. But, I think if Felix plays he will give the skins problems because they have no tape on him from the first game. Also, they won't put 8 or 9 in the box because Roy Williams or T.O. can beat their corners.

kmd24

Reaction score
Everson24;2412628 said:
Since that game he seems to be calling running plays on almost every first down almost as a way to reach his quota of running plays per game, and as a result the Cowboys have lost their offensive identity.

Here are the splits on first down for the last 5 games:

Cin - 7 passes, 17 runs (4 runs on the last drive, but the lead was only 2 points)
Ari - 15 passes, 10 runs (3 passes on the last two drives of regulation)
StL - 16 passes, 12 runs
TB - 13 passes, 11 runs
NYG - 9 passes, 13 runs (4 passes and 8 runs after Bollinger entered)

In the three games leading up to the Commanders, the splits were:

Cleveland - 14 passes, 16 runs (1 pass, 3 runs on final drive - running clock)
Philly - 12 passes, 12 runs
GB - 11 passes, 19 runs (1 pass, 4 runs on final two drives - running clock)

Looks to me like Garrett has stayed fairly balanced, but we are running more and more successfully in the wins.

khiladi

Reaction score
As longas Garrett puts TO in motion, has him run quick slants, stops throwing those stupid out-routes, I'll be happy. The style of play is putting way too mush pressure on this OL.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
During the last three games Jason Garrett has been stuck with a QB who can't throw and is largely immobile.
But before I can feel sorry for Jason I have to acknowledge that Jason has an affinity for old man Johnson and now the roosters have come home to be pidgeons resulting in a 1-2 recent run.

So, in the final urinalysis, jason has his Romo back. And Felix.
Inshallah, the Cowboys will be more balanced. And while romo won't likely throw the long ball on Sunday, he will be using Witten and T.O. in the midrange and to good effect.

And Barber and Felix will be pumped up.

Alas, Garrett's winter of disconnect will fall by the wayside and all will be better in the Kingdome of the Cowboys.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
sacowboysfan513;2412675 said:
I agree. We are obviously a pass first team and our passing game is our strength.

Just like when we began running Marion Barber a lot against the Giants last year in the playoffs. That wasn't what got us to that point. We should have easily scored 30 plus against the Giants but all we got was 17 points.

Yeah just like the greatest offense in NFL history could have easily scored 30...except they scored 14 in the SB.

Look, we had the best gameplan possible for the Giants in the playoff. We ran the ball to counter their pass rush. It worked well. Our defense gave up a TD in under 50 seconds, and forgot how to tackle otherwise we win.

Balance is always good, it's just about calling the right play at the right time.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I think Jason thought he could do some things with the size and "talent" of the OL. Turns out he/they can't. The OL is being mauled and I firmly believe it's directly correlated to some of the play calling. It's obvious that bucking up and handling the guy across from you isn't working. JMO, of course.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2412841 said:
Yeah just like the greatest offense in NFL history could have easily scored 30...except they scored 14 in the SB.

Look, we had the best gameplan possible for the Giants in the playoff. We ran the ball to counter their pass rush. It worked well. Our defense gave up a TD in under 50 seconds, and forgot how to tackle otherwise we win.

Balance is always good, it's just about calling the right play at the right time.

.............three VERY costly penalties. Sad thing is .........the Giants are real good at provoking them and we're real bad at blowing all the baiting off. The only way to stop this is to BEAT them. We can't. We can outplay them, and we did last year, but we can't beat the Giants at their game.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I do agree that we're clearly not a grind it out, slow the pace, kind of offense. This offense needs to be pushing the pace early, and often, and getting a 10-14 point lead going into the 4th quarter of games and THEN grinding the 4th quarter out. That is when this team, Barber, and the Oline are at their best.

Temo

Reaction score
I don't think Garret gives half a crap what fans/media think. Unfortunately, Jerry Jones does and you have wonder what he might have said to Garrett in terms of running the ball more.

Everson24

Reaction score
Temo;2413324 said:
I don't think Garret gives half a crap what fans/media think. Unfortunately, Jerry Jones does and you have wonder what he might have said to Garrett in terms of running the ball more.

You may be right. It is quite possible that Jerry did tell Garrett to run the ball more. It just seems that our offensive identity changed after that game.