Did the Cowboys get the best QB in the draft?

Ken

Reaction score
RGIII's problem was the beating, and resulting injuries he took, playing in that read option offense. Dak won't be taking that type of beating.
And he is dumb as a stump. Something I said at the time he was having his 'great' rookie season and everyone on this board was jumping off cliffs. He was running a pop Warner offense...literally.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he is dumb as a stump. Something I said at the time he was having his 'great' rookie season and everyone on this board was jumping off cliffs. He was running a pop Warner offense...literally.

Plus I view RGIII as a "run first" guy.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I don't see a lot of comparison between Dak and McNabb.

Now if you said Warren Moon or Steve McNair, then I think you'd be closer.

In a uniform Prescott doesn't resemble McNabb's body type.

And I'll say it right now... I think Prescott throws a better medium ball than McNabb.

I was going to say Steve McNair also, but Moon isn't too far off. I'm still guarded in my optimism because it's only preseason, but so far, so good. The guy has looked excellent. There will be some growing pains. There always are, but I suspect Dak is Romo's heir apparent.

Carson

Reaction score
Remember when we wanted Lynch or Christian Hackenburg

Eddie

Reaction score
Man, talk about jumping to conclusions. You guys are creming over this guy who played in two pre-season games.

Yes, it's encouraging, but hardly and indication of greatness.

Let's give the kid some time, and kill the insane expectations.

jday

Reaction score
Her
I believe so.

Did I believe so on draft day? No.

Did I believe he was a steal when we got him where we got him? An unequivocal yes.

Shut the front door. Don't look any further. Develop this guy and then watch him shine when Romo bows out.

He reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. So majestic in his flow. So cool under pressure. So fluid in leading his team into the end zone by any means necessary...

Sure. he hasn't really seen much in terms of complex schemes and teams game planning for him (yet)... But, on the flip side, no rookie QB has come in and taken the game but storm from snap 1 since... who? I can't recall the last time.

This guy looks like the prototypical beast at QB. Sure, some will say JaMarcus Russell was an all star in the preseason. JRuss also had some not so prototypical qualities about him (ie. small hands, weight issues, questions about his ability to progress through multiple reads).

I'm so excited about this dude folks.

Zeke is the FREAK & Dak is the MACK!

Lastly, I am going to go off of the script (because you know I like to) and say Showers would actually look very good if he didn't have 3s all around him. I like Showers too.
Here's what I think all the scouts and draft experts missed:. The QB is the driver of the offense. Dak was driving the equivalent of a Pinto in college. With Dez, Witt, Beasley, Williams, Butler, Zeke, Morris, etc. behind that offensive line, he's in a (insert exotic very fast vehicle here).

Watch his highlights from college. He played the exact same way... the only thing that has changed is the vehicle, which is a hell of an upgrade especially when Zeke gets added.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was going to say Steve McNair also, but Moon isn't too far off. I'm still guarded in my optimism because it's only preseason, but so far, so good. The guy has looked excellent. There will be some growing pains. There always are, but I suspect Dak is Romo's heir apparent.

I agree, he looks the part.

There are going to be those 8 for 16's with 2 picks.

But he looks to have enough talent to overcome it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Her

Here's what I think all the scouts and draft experts missed:. The QB is the driver of the offense. Dak was driving the equivalent of a Pinto in college. With Dez, Witt, Beasley, Williams, Butler, Zeke, Morris, etc. behind that offensive line, he's in a (insert exotic very fast vehicle here).

Watch his highlights from college. He played the exact same way... the only thing that has changed is the vehicle, which is a hell of an upgrade especially when Zeke gets added.

Dak had the worst OL in the SEC... That hand-cuffed him more than anything.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He's doing well against vanilla D. I really like what I see but realistically he's going to benefit from a couple of years learning (as any young QB from a smaller program would).

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. So majestic in his flow. So cool under pressure. So fluid in leading his team into the end zone by any means necessary...

that's something I've noticed about him too, he's smooth. A big part of it is athleticism for sure, but it's also his calmness and decisiveness,,, not all panic driven, herky jerky trying to decide what to do. Of course having the offensive talent and pass protection makes a huge difference. He's lucky as hell he doesn't have the same people surrounding him that Romo did all those years...

Section446

Reaction score
Ask me in three years... But if you told me right now that I could trade Dak for Goff, I'd do it in a heartbeat and give you a first rounder.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
McNabb was a great player...literally carried the Eagles with no weapons around him until T.O.

He quite literally choked in super bowls and big games and ended up being a complete head case when he wasn't considered the man.

But to compare play style to McNabb is a huge compliment to Dak.
Huge thumbs up. :thumbup:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Man, talk about jumping to conclusions. You guys are creming over this guy who played in two pre-season games.

Yes, it's encouraging, but hardly and indication of greatness.

Let's give the kid some time, and kill the insane expectations.
I'll save a seat on the Dak train for you once you're ready to hop on.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Her

Great analogy and spot on.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
McNabb always looked kind of goofy in his drop and throwing motion to me. And he was not nearly as accurate as Dak.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
With all of the information that is currently available there is no way I could take Goff over Prescott. It might be a huge mistake by me but Prescott has the physical tools and he's a playmaker at the QB position.
I didn't realize Goff was so scrawny. Why is Deshaun Watson so scrutinized about his size? He is currently 6'2", 218 lbs. I am sure that's bigger than Goff who went #1