Did the Cowboys get the best QB in the draft?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He reminds me a bit of Steve Young.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. I was just about to type a post making that comparison as well, although Dak is obviously right handed instead of left. His size, accuracy, arm strength, poise and mobility are quite similar, though. I'd venture to say that's an outstanding starting point, despite being very early yet. Let's hope his consistency will ultimately prove to be comparable as well. Needless to say, that last requirement is a must.

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Goff sucks and will forever be relegated to the trash bin of history. :cool:

It's too early to say. Goff had a terrible preseason debut, but he may well develop into a quality quarterback. Or not. It's way, way too early to be pronouncing who's best.

windjc

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and won the Superbowl as a rookie.

Why is it so SHOCKING if Prescott is the best quarterback in a draft that was not touted as being a great QB draft? Yes QBs went 1-2, but even the experts that hyped them acknowledged this wasn't a top tier group.

Have we ever seen a rookie but up performances in the preseason like this? Yes, its preseason and small sample size. But if Wilson was good enough, Prescott certainly could be.

I am not suggesting we have a QB controversy, but there is a decent chance what we are seeing is real. Just like there's still a chance it is not.

But lets stop trying to "qualify" the performances. So far, Prescott looks like the best QB in the draft. You can't really argue the opposite.

windjc

Reaction score
The best QB?

No, but I felt he was being sold short by a lot of folks.

Keep this mind, coming into the 2015 college season, Ourlads had Dak Prescott as the #1 QB in the country.

So it's not like there weren't people out there on his bandwagon.

But you know what happened, I think there was so legit good play but there was also some "smoke & mirrors" that caused Wentz to skyrocket up the draft boards.

Based on the data set we have so far, Prescott is the best QB in this draft. Its a small data set, but right now your "No" response is incorrect.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
RGIII's problem was the beating, and resulting injuries he took, playing in that read option offense. Dak won't be taking that type of beating.
RG3 had a special ability to get blown up. He seems to never take a regular hit. He always gets jacked up.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The list of QBs taken before Dak Prescott:

Rams: Jared Goff, California (Round 1, pick 1)
  • Eagles: Carson Wentz, North Dakota State (Round 1, pick 2)
  • Broncos: Paxton Lynch, Memphis (Round 1, pick 26)
  • Jets: Christian Hackenberg, Penn State (Round 2, pick 51)
  • Patriots: Jacoby Brissett, NC State (Round 3, pick 91)
  • Browns: Cody Kessler, USC (Round 3, pick 93)
  • Raiders: Connor Cook, Michigan State (Round 4, pick 100)

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You know people don't like to give up on "their guys"
I was a Goff guy. You all know I had my Goff sig rockin for weeks. There's no way I would even fix my brain to consider trading Dak for Goff. Goff "was" my guy. Past tense. But he's elsewhere now. I'm going to enjoy watching this steal blossom in Big D.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's definitely helping Dak with all the Reps he's getting with the first team in practice with all of Romo's rest days and for the most part he's performed in the games with the first team .

We have a very talented offense which should make any QB look better than he possibly is.

That said, Dak has looked poised and not like a Rookie. He does have some talent . A big arm who looks like can make all of the throws with pocket presence and mobility.

Last night though once the 2nd team came in he did make a couple of mistakes which could have been costly turnovers.

Next week in Seattle is Dress Rehearsal for the starters . We should then see Dak more with the 2nd team which might make him look more like A 4th rd Rookie.

Good news is we might actually have a QB to develop as heir apparent and in the event if Romo goes down a backup QB we can win with now.

Well the one int (before being called back) was on him. The other possible int had a lot of bad route by wr written on it.

But you know what, it actually proved him better as many have pointed out that he was poised and collected afterwards. He wasn't rattled. Bso it only helped him that that happened rather then them not

cowboysfan

Reaction score
The list of QBs taken before Dak Prescott:

Rams: Jared Goff, California (Round 1, pick 1)
  • Eagles: Carson Wentz, North Dakota State (Round 1, pick 2)
  • Broncos: Paxton Lynch, Memphis (Round 1, pick 26)
  • Jets: Christian Hackenberg, Penn State (Round 2, pick 51)
  • Patriots: Jacoby Brissett, NC State (Round 3, pick 91)
  • Browns: Cody Kessler, USC (Round 3, pick 93)
  • Raiders: Connor Cook, Michigan State (Round 4, pick 100)
Any reports of how the others taken before performed during this week ?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Well the one int (before being called back) was on him. The other possible int had a lot of bad route by wr written on it.

But you know what, it actually proved him better as many have pointed out that he was poised and collected afterwards. He wasn't rattled. Bso it only helped him that that happened rather then them not
That's what I've liked about him so far. Mistakes will happen. QB's will throw interceptions. It's how you bounce back that says a lot. You have to just forget about it and go on to the next play. Last week he was sacked. On the next play he ran to get us into FG range. That showed me a lot about him.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I believe so.

Did I believe so on draft day? No.

Did I believe he was a steal when we got him where we got him? An unequivocal yes.

Shut the front door. Don't look any further. Develop this guy and then watch him shine when Romo bows out.

He reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. So majestic in his flow. So cool under pressure. So fluid in leading his team into the end zone by any means necessary...

Sure. he hasn't really seen much in terms of complex schemes and teams game planning for him (yet)... But, on the flip side, no rookie QB has come in and taken the game but storm from snap 1 since... who? I can't recall the last time.

This guy looks like the prototypical beast at QB. Sure, some will say JaMarcus Russell was an all star in the preseason. JRuss also had some not so prototypical qualities about him (ie. small hands, weight issues, questions about his ability to progress through multiple reads).

I'm so excited about this dude folks.

Zeke is the FREAK & Dak is the MACK!

Lastly, I am going to go off of the script (because you know I like to) and say Showers would actually look very good if he didn't have 3s all around him. I like Showers too.

Ask me in 3-4 years.