Did the Cowboys over correct towards run D?

tm1119

Reaction score
As we all know, the run defense absolutely sucked last year. 2nd worst in the league. But what doesn’t get talked about enough was that the Cowboys had 31 sacks good for 12th worst. And 132 QB pressures which was 8th worst. The Titans were the only team below us to make the playoffs.

D Lineman added this off season-
Carlos Watkins (6’3 300)
Brent Urban (6’7 305)
Osa Odighizuwa (6’2 280)
Chauncey Golston (6’5 270)
Quinton Bohanna (6’4 330+)

Only added pass rusher- Tarell Basham. Probably a trade off to Smith who left.

So while we are sure to be much better vs the run with the d line and LB additions so far...how have we improved in the pass rushing department? And how big of a worry is it for you? Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, Anae, Armstrong...that’s what we’re working with so far

T-RO

Reaction score
Criminal to come out of this draft w/out safety. Again.

Drafted a corner in round 3 that they could have easily picked in 7th. And to the OP's question:
yes, too much emphasis on run stopping. Secondary and pass rush should be the focus of any defense.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No. This run defense was the worst in team history and until you do something to fix it, teams are going to continue to try and exploit it.

If the Cowboys stuff the run, they'll make opposing offenses one dimensional and then maybe you'll see the pass rushers like D-Law have more impact than they could have had last year.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Odighizuwa is a pass rusher. Gholston is a little of both. But Quinn needs guys that play specific roles in his hybrid defense. 1T, 3T-7T

Watkins isn't guaranteed a spot. Minimum type guy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As we all know, the run defense absolutely sucked last year. 2nd worst in the league. But what doesn’t get talked about enough was that the Cowboys had 31 sacks good for 12th worst. And 132 QB pressures which was 8th worst. The Titans were the only team below us to make the playoffs.

Carlos Watkins (6’3 300)
Brent Urban (6’7 305)
Osa Odighizuwa (6’2 280)

So while we are sure to be much better vs the run with the d line and LB additions so far...how have we improved in the pass rushing department? And how big of a worry is it for you? Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, Anae, Armstrong...that’s what we’re working with so far

The problem I have with the list there for DT's is I dont see ONE long term starter in there. Pretty much a bunch of backup/rotation/flex DT's. Now the flex is nice where some of these guys can go out to DE in, but again, dont see a legitimate starter in there. Dont see a big pressure player. But I do think we will be much better against the run.

Havic

Reaction score
I think the defense is going to surprise some people this year.

Techsass

Reaction score
I think where we missed was in FA. This was the wrong draft for finding any pro-bowl caliber DTs. Parsons was probably the best pass rusher in the 1st round and he's now a Cowboy.

Fixing our run defense was absolutely a major priority & deserved as much attention as we could afford to spend on it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Carlos Watkins (6’3 300)
Brent Urban (6’7 305)
Osa Odighizuwa (6’2 280)

let the best of the lot stand out...the more the merrier....

Verdict

Reaction score

Carlos Watkins (6’3 300)
Brent Urban (6’7 305)
Osa Odighizuwa (6’2 280)

I think run defense and run defense affect each other. So I really believe it is impossible to tell. Playing with a lead changes the dynamics a lot too.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Parsons will have more of a pass rush role than people think. Gregory should see the field more, and gallimore year 2, hill year 3 should show some progression, or at least I hope so.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Corrected ? No idea, addressed it? Somewhat ,

Rest is upto players and coaching.