Did the Markus Paul death hurt us?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How could that and the events around it, premature reports that he had passed for that only to become a reality the day before the game, not have an effect on all who knew him?

However, they were already in a weakened state and losing both OT's on one drive was too much for this team to overcome.

Truth be told, I don't think the majority of players on that team want this season to continue anymore than I want to watch it.

This team was the combination of mediocre talent and coaching before they lost the QB or their S&C coach. This will be known as the "Season of Excuses".
Excuses are attempts to lesson the blame. I don't think pointing out the things you did were excuses, more like factors. A LOT of 'em.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read my previous post posted to @acr731 up above ^^^^. You might learn a thing or two.

I personally don't give a rat if you dislike Dak or not. The facts are the facts. Accept them or move on.
Wait whoa...***? Who said I didn't like Dak?

I NEVER EVER said I didn't like him...and in fact have supported him quite a bit. Most recently said I;d rather have him in a HEARTBEAT over Trevor Lawrence.

And you talk about "facts" while making up a fantasy in your head about how the season would have gone with Dak. Not "fact" at all.

EDIT: A lot of stuff has happened that *probably* would have happened even with Dak. Poor coaching, fumbles, injuries. To claim those wouldn't effect Dak is ridiculous.
Would we be better with more solid QB play...maybe! Would it emphatically "save our season"? (enough to argue about it on the internet?) . Maybe...probably not. Things are bad.

I think you have me confused with someone else. If you claim I'm a hater...then show me what you are talking about. I know that you won;t because you can;t.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How could that and the events around it, premature reports that he had passed for that only to become a reality the day before the game, not have an effect on all who knew him?

However, they were already in a weakened state and losing both OT's on one drive was too much for this team to overcome.

Truth be told, I don't think the majority of players on that team want this season to continue anymore than I want to watch it.

This team was the combination of mediocre talent and coaching before they lost the QB or their S&C coach. This will be known as the "Season of Excuses".

That would be really sad, if true. I'm (regrettably) in Rockport's camp on this. I'd want me and my team to go out and compete the very best we can right up to the end. I'd not be as judgmental and pompous about it as him....but when all else fails...I would play for pride over draft picks. I'd hope "my team" would do the same.

blueblood70

Reaction score
more than any of us believed?

I wonder.

Last week was such a blur.

And to that Dallas missed a day in preparation on a 4 day week.

I am not looking for excuses but It seems that expecting our team as injured as it is and leadership in short supply..

To have expected more might be a bit indulgent on us to slam them for a game they held together with spit and glue all the way until 8 minutes to play then lost their focus and slid to a blowout?

We as fans seem to hold ourselves to unattainable lofty expectations as far as this team.

I hope that I am right and that after 10 days off they comeback and beat the Ravens and if Philly loses to Seattle Monday..

We are right back in the chase depending on what Washington does.

This is really the strangest journey with this team I have ever seen..

And I have seen or attended every game since summer 1965 at the Salesmanship Club Game in August vs the GB Packers.

That is a lot of football boys.

Seen it all.

What do you guys think?

Over to you.

Go Cowboys.

:starspin::starspin:
no losing Cam Erving and Martin in what the first series did , 100% started the snowball effect, add in the fumble and INt and the bonehead play calls trying to cover up those losses and there we sit a close game that we could have won turned into a route with 8 mins to play..

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
This was a tough week. we played a very physical and emotional game last Sunday, lost a day of Prep on Tuesday, Traveled on Wed and and Played again on Thursday. None of which is an excuse for the bone head decisions by the coaching staff. But it would explain the slow start, being a half step behind, etc. I wouldn't say the tragic death was a reason but when you add it in with everything else, it was going to be a tough week to win.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This was a tough week. we played a very physical and emotional game last Sunday, lost a day of Prep on Tuesday, Traveled on Wed and and Played again on Thursday. None of which is an excuse for the bone head decisions by the coaching staff. But it would explain the slow start, being a half step behind, etc. I wouldn't say the tragic death was a reason but when you add it in with everything else, it was going to be a tough week to win.
does everyone miss the obvious? we beat MN because we had a decent OL pay the entire game and it showed

losing Cam Erving and Martin in what the first series did , 100% started the snowball effect, add in the fumble and INt and the bonehead play calls trying to cover up those losses and there we sit a close game that we could have won turned into a route with 8 mins to play..

dot think the death of a staffer effected injury..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wait whoa...***? Who said I didn't like Dak?

I NEVER EVER said I didn't like him...and in fact have supported him quite a bit. Most recently said I;d rather have him in a HEARTBEAT over Trevor Lawrence.

And you talk about "facts" while making up a fantasy in your head about how the season would have gone with Dak. Not "fact" at all.

EDIT: A lot of stuff has happened that *probably* would have happened even with Dak. Poor coaching, fumbles, injuries. To claim those wouldn't effect Dak is ridiculous.
Would we be better with more solid QB play...maybe! Would it emphatically "save our season"? (enough to argue about it on the internet?) . Maybe...probably not. Things are bad.

I think you have me confused with someone else. If you claim I'm a hater...then show me what you are talking about. I know that you won;t because you can;t.
Don't know nor don't care if you or anyone else likes Dak. Truth is Dak was more than doing his job this season by putting up astronomical record pace numbers, unlike Zeke or others. And, yes, most definitely, this team should have been 4-1 under Dak HAD THE DEFENSE SHOWN UP TO PLAY SINCE WEEK 1, so I don't care to hear any spin from anyone. Facts are the facts.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The players spend far more time with their strength and conditioning coach than any of the other coaches. That fact was strongly attested to by the NFL Network people several days ago. They said it struck the players harder than most of us realize, since they're familiar with him and got to know him so well, due to that extra exposure. Whatever the cause, it was fairly damaging.

Of course, I'm merely recounting what NFLN revealed they thought to be the case. Did it affect their performance to the extent of losing so dramatically? Nobody knows for sure but the distraction, alone, didn't serve them well. Last week's day of lost practice surely didn't help their cause, either.

Last edited:

EST_1986

Reaction score
Did those losses happen because of the offense or defense?
defense was and continues to be terrible, were just missing the garbage time offensive stats but I care less about stats. The W-L stat is the only one that matters, and losing is losing

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
defense was and continues to be terrible, were just missing the garbage time offensive stats but I care less about stats. The W-L stat is the only one that matters, and losing is losing
There was no such thing as garbage time offense stats. That's a lie. Video proves as much.

This team's losses when Dak was starting was because of our defense...period.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not because of the Offense! I deal with facts, not biased baloney spin.
NOPE....not at all. You made up some imaginary scenario in your head.

It's not imaginary we looked better earlier on. It is IMAGINARY that you claim "our season would have been saved with Dak".

Imaginary because (FACT!) it never happened. Not a "fact" in any way shape or form.

This isn't "Dak hate". Your bar for that is set quite low.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The players spend far more time with their strength and conditioning coach than any of the other coaches. That fact was strongly attested to by the NFL Network people several days ago. They said it struck the players harder than most of us realize, since they're familiar with him and got to know him so well, due to that extra exposure. Whatever the cause, it was fairly damaging.

Of course, I'm merely recounting what NFLN revealed they thought to be the case. Did it affect their performance to the extent of losing so dramatically? Nobody knows for sure but the distraction, alone, didn't serve them well. Last week's day of lost practice surely didn't help their cause, either.

It's a very intimate part of athletes in general. I bet NFL football most of all.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
NOPE....not at all. You made up some imaginary scenario in your head.

It's not imaginary we looked better earlier on. It is IMAGINARY that you claim "our season would have been saved with Dak".

Imaginary because (FACT!) it never happened. Not a "fact" in any way shape or form.

This isn't "Dak hate". Your bar for that is set quite low.
Nope! Cowboys should have been 4-1 to start the season under Dak IF OUR DEFENSE HAD EVER SHOWED UP TO PLAY.

FACT!