Did you like grunge rock?

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I posted a thread about whether rock n' roll was dead so I wondered what people thought of grunge. Many people feel like it killed heavy metal at least because it was "depressing rock". I admit that I got into grunge quite a bit just cause it sounded so different. My favorite was Alice in Chains, followed by Soundgarden and then Pearl Jam. Never a huge fan of Nirvanna, but I do like a few of their songs. I had a hard time choosing my favorite Alice in Chains song between "The Rooster", " Down and a Hole", "Man in the Box", etc. which I settled on. Here it is. Anyway, I'm interested in opinions.

Alice In Chains - Man in the Box (Official Video) - YouTube

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
To be honest not really, never understood Nirvana and the O woe is me look at my poor life lyrics. Mope rock is what i call it.
I will say this though, Alice in Chains got thrown into the "grunge category" when they were really more hard rock/metal.
They were easily the best of the bunch to me by far

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
To be honest not really, never understood Nirvana and the O woe is me look at my poor life lyrics. Mope rock is what i call it.
I will say this though, Alice in Chains got thrown into the "grunge category" when they were really more hard rock/metal.
They were easily the best of the bunch to me by far

"Mope rock" is a good term for it. I liked the Soundgarden / Pearl Jam collaboration known as Temple of the Dog. One of my favorite songs ever is this one. Temple Of The Dog - Say Hello 2 Heaven (Alternate Mix / Pseudo Video) - YouTube

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At first, no, I didn't like it and the channeling of Vedder's voice as the Voice of Grunge wore on me and Corgan's voice could only be taken for short periods of time but the composition of Smashing Pumpkins' songs was the most advanced.

Liked AIC OK until this came out and then I was down for it for sure. NIN falls into the Grunge category like the Eisley Brothers fall into disco.

pete026

Reaction score
If I understand the definition of "grunge" which is questionable, this would be my first exposure to it. I had listened to Neil and CSNY so I was familiar with his acoustic stuff but this movie opened up another side of him. Love live Crazy Horse! Saw them in Virginia Beach Amphitheater during my honeymoon. Great show!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If I understand the definition of "grunge" which is questionable, this would be my first exposure to it. I had listened to Neil and CSNY so I was familiar with his acoustic stuff but this movie opened up another side of him. Love live Crazy Horse! Saw them in Virginia Beach Amphitheater during my honeymoon. Great show!

Grunge is an alternative rock genre and subculture that emerged during the mid-1980s in the American Pacific Northwest state of Washington, particularly in Seattle and nearby towns. Grunge fuses elements of punk rock and heavy metal, but without punk's structure and speed.

pete026

Reaction score
Grunge is an alternative rock genre and subculture that emerged during the mid-1980s in the American Pacific Northwest state of Washington, particularly in Seattle and nearby towns. Grunge fuses elements of punk rock and heavy metal, but without punk's structure and speed.
Thanks. Yeah I have read up on it but it seems to me to be just another type of Rock and Roll similar to Prog Rock and I don't see that as a separate genre. I guess there are certain genre's that definitively stand alone and other's that morph off an earlier one.

FWIW, I think Neil was living in Seattle prior to the "official" start of grunge but he is originally from Canada if memory serves me correct. Neil may have said that Sedan Delivery was inspired from Devo.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks. Yeah I have read up on it but it seems to me to be just another type of Rock and Roll similar to Prog Rock and I don't see that as a separate genre. I guess there are certain genre's that definitively stand alone and other's that morph off an earlier one.

FWIW, I think Neil was living in Seattle prior to the "official" start of grunge but he is originally from Canada if memory serves me correct.
Yep, Young is Canadian. I've heard people refer to him as the Godfather of Grunge, but no...Neil is Folk Rock/Rock. One thing you'll find very common in Grunge is angst. That to me is the biggest indicator.

pete026

Reaction score
Yep, Young is Canadian. I've heard people refer to him as the Godfather of Grunge, but no...Neil is Folk Rock/Rock. One thing you'll find very common in Grunge is angst. That to me is the biggest indicator.
Yeah, I definitely can feel the angst in Vedder's lyrics and voice. Maybe that is what gets to CouchCoach. His soundtrack for "Into The Wild" was amazing to me but the whole story mesmerized me. I was gonna take off at one low point in my life. Was all packed but never committed. Read the Krakauer book in one night.