Did you think there were bad calls/non-calls in the Super Bowl?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This isn't a "how dare my team get hozed" kind of post, but I did think there were some bad calls or missed calls in the game.

On that long TD pass the Bengals did, the WR clearly was guilty of a facemask just before he scored a touchdown. Then in the Rams final drive, there was a bogus holding call that extended the drive. I think it was on a third down, but I'll have to watch the game again to be sure. To me it looked like simply a great defensive play where the Cincy player reached around and batted the ball down.

Again, I'm not saying the Rams didn't deserve to win. The missed facemask clearly hurt them. I'm just curious of others agree with me that there was a non-called facemask and then later on a bogus holding call.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Overall I think the refs did a good job. The PI at the end was the only call I really hated.

my thoughts are I would much rather the refs hang on to their flags on a boarder line play than throw it. Just let em play, even the missed calls I really don’t mind unless it’s just overwhelmingly obvious. It’s the ticky tack called flags that I hate.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Seeing the Rams get 3 penalty calls on the Bengals - on successive plays - on the Rams last ditch drive while playing in LA across the street from NFL Network...yeah.

The Bengals had 2 penalties the entire game, then wham. Los Angeles needed the calls to win in Los Angeles, and they suddenly got them.

Starting to question why I even bother with this thing. Some of you go on about conspiracies, but if you really believed them you wouldn't bother. Only a moron would keep following a sport he thought was "fixed". I refused to believe so, because humans make mistakes, but the ending to this SB was a joke.

Maybe I just need to move on and find other uses for my time? It's not like I'm going to miss the Cowboys winning another Super Bowl. :rolleyes:

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
I didn’t like the missed early hold by Ramsey and then the bunch they threw at the end. That seemed inconsistent to me. All in all though I think it was pretty evenly officiated.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Seeing the Rams get 3 penalty calls on the Bengals - on successive plays - on the Rams last ditch drive while playing in LA across the street from NFL Network...yeah.

The Bengals had 2 penalties the entire game, then wham. Los Angeles needed the calls to win in Los Angeles, and they suddenly got them.

Starting to question why I even bother with this thing. Some of you go on about conspiracies, but if you really believed them you wouldn't bother. Only a moron would keep following a sport he thought was "fixed". I refused to believe so, because humans make mistakes, but the ending to this SB was a joke.

Maybe I just need to move on and find other uses for my time? It's not like I'm going to miss the Cowboys winning another Super Bowl. :rolleyes:

This.

Basically a clean “let em play” game until the Rams get down goal to go under 2 mins— then the ticky tack calls start rolling in. 3 in a row setting them up with 1st and goal at the 1?!

I thought it was a great game until the end when the refs once again unfairly affected the outcome of a game.

How penalties are not reviewable or challengeable at this point is criminal… everyone in the world saw that the “holding” call on 3rd and goal was a phantom call.

With the NFL getting more and more in bed with Vegas… eyebrows are going to continue to raise when it comes to whether or not the league is affecting results through the refs

And when games end like this one did— and it’s far from an isolated case— who can blame the skeptics?

Bottom line: Poor officiating is destroying the credibility and quality of the product on the field.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Penaltes definitely need to be reviewed across the board. I don’t understand why this can’t be done. Your a billion dollar industry… take 10 guys in a room and relay that down to the officials in real-time and get the calls right.

That said I don’t like the calls on the bengals on the last drive…. But considering they got a free td coming out of halftime I don’t have a problem with it. That was a facemask and offensive PI that led to a td.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Overall….decent reffed game by two teams who play pretty clean ball anyway..

But The worst by far was the possible game changing TD bomb bythe Bengals when Higgens pulled Ramsey’s facemask so hard it turned his head around while the ball was in the air.
That was unreal.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
There was an obvious 2nd quarter block in the back on a Rams punt right at the point of attack that allowed a 15 yard or so return by Cincy. It was blatantly out in the open. And they let PI go the whole game until the Rams last drive. Saw multiple OL holding no-calls mostly by Cincy.

I was actually glad up until the last drive by LA that the Zebras had let 'em play ! But then the Rams needed to score a TD at the end and flags flew.

kskboys

Reaction score
This.

Basically a clean “let em play” game until the Rams get down goal to go under 2 mins— then the ticky tack calls start rolling in. 3 in a row setting them up with 1st and goal at the 1?!

I thought it was a great game until the end when the refs once again unfairly affected the outcome of a game.

How penalties are not reviewable or challengeable at this point is criminal… everyone in the world saw that the “holding” call on 3rd and goal was a phantom call.

With the NFL getting more and more in bed with Vegas… eyebrows are going to continue to raise when it comes to whether or not the league is affecting results through the refs

And when games end like this one did— and it’s far from an isolated case— who can blame the skeptics?

Bottom line: Poor officiating is destroying the credibility and quality of the product on the field.
You must have been rooting for the Bengals. That call was blatantly obvious. I would've called D Holding, but a penalty it was, and beyond any doubt.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
You must have been rooting for the Bengals. That call was blatantly obvious. I would've called D Holding, but a penalty it was, and beyond any doubt.

Beyond any doubt? Lol. Michaels and Collinsworth called it ticky tack on the broadcast.

How do you call a game with virtually zero penalties— and then throw 3 in a row at the end of the game?!

Cmon. That is BS.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
That hold on 3rd down when the Rams were knocking on the door was clearly bogus BS. That bad call then led to more penalties, bogus also, leading to a Rams TD. Reminds me of the no-interference call in the Rams-Saints game a few years back. LA has always been a basketball town, so the NFL needs the Rams to be successful to gain market share in LA.

LA is just not a football town, and odds are in 5-10 years both the Rams and Chargers will be looking for a new home. Chargers will probably move back to San Diego while the Rams wind up in Oakland. Mark my words.

Last edited:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Overall….decent reffed game by two teams who play pretty clean ball anyway..

But The worst by far was the possible game changing TD bomb bythe Bengals when Higgens pulled Ramsey’s facemask so hard it turned his head around while the ball was in the air.
That was unreal.

This!!! If you are complaining about other stuff you have an agenda. The Bengals got a free TD

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

It was a bad non call for sure. But the Rams at least had a half to rebound from it. Cinci got jobbed at the end imo