Direction in the Draft

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Woods is our FS, so for SS with the draft, don't see them using the 2nd round pick for that, when we use alot of dime in our defense anyways. I still see a pass rusher as a need with Gregory & Irving gone. I see pick #58 being DT/DE before a SS.
Woods doesnt play the FS role. Heath was usually the single high Woods was the down safety. Which would lead you to believe Heath was the FS. They tried Heath at SS in 2017 and it was a disaster.

Now they did play Heath in the box at times but it was usually in short yardage and goaline.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Woods doesnt play the FS role. Heath was usually the single high Woods was the down safety. Which would lead you to believe Heath was the FS. They tried Heath at SS in 2017 and it was a disaster.

Now they did play Heath in the box at times but it was usually in short yardage and goaline.

Either way, pass rushers or interior DT is more important than SS.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good post! While I agree about safety, especially Thornhill and Gardner-Johnson but what if they're gone? Couple wildcards I might add...
*** It would not surprise me to see 58 on CB ( potential Byron Jones replacement) or OT ( potential Collins replacement) especially if they have high 2nd or low 1st round grade.

*** Also I'm keeping an eye any solid 1st round talent dropping coz health concerns. We all know JJ like nothing better than to convert the 2nd round pick into first-round talent.

**** Give the choice of any positional player available at 58, I don't see them passing on TE Irv Smith or Hockenson

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Either way, pass rushers or interior DT is more important than SS.

Woods was the Free Safety in 2018.

Heath was the SS (box Safety) in 2018.

Woods has not played SS for the Cowboys.

The way they used Heath in 2018 resulted in him running downfield on some plays such as the one where he ran down Saquon Barkley from behind.

They have some sets where the FS (Woods) is aligned about half-way between deep and in-the-box. The other Safety is either in 2-deep on these sets or they've otherwise accounted for the FS not having true single-high responsibilities.

Summary: Heath was the "box" Safety. That's why you saw him 1-on-1 against Saquon Barkley repeatedly including the attempts to tackle Barkley behind the Line.

Side Note: Heath injured his wrist and played with 1 hand for the last several games including the last game against the Giants.

Size/length does not appear to be a concern for Kris Richard at FS ( ET is 5-10). Woods is about the same size as ET.

Size/length at SS is likely a concern. They played Heath (6-1, 210) there despite him previously being better at FS. In Seattle SS Kam Chancellor wss 6-3, 230.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wait, Woods played more in the box than Heath?

snapper

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with you Latin.

I just doubt this team moves on from Heath and Woods.

I think they would be happy to move on from Heath as a starter if they can grab one of the safeties expected to be there at 58. There are a few that would walk in as day-one starters.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Woods was the Free Safety in 2018.

Heath was the SS (box Safety) in 2018.

Woods has not played SS for the Cowboys.

The way they used Heath in 2018 resulted in him running downfield on some plays such as the one where he ran down Saquon Barkley from behind.

They have some sets where the FS (Woods) is aligned about half-way between deep and in-the-box. The other Safety is either in 2-deep on these sets or they've otherwise accounted for the FS not having true single-high responsibilities.

Summary: Heath was the "box" Safety. That's why you saw him 1-on-1 against Saquon Barkley repeatedly including the attempts to tackle Barkley behind the Line.

Side Note: Heath injured his wrist and played with 1 hand for the last several games including the last game against the Giants.

Size/length does not appear to be a concern for Kris Richard at FS ( ET is 5-10). Woods is about the same size as ET.

Size/length at SS is likely a concern. They played Heath (6-1, 210) there despite him previously being better at FS. In Seattle SS Kam Chancellor wss 6-3, 230.
Wrong again. They even spoke about this during the draft show. And they started it with Dallas doesnt label their S' as FS and SS. Because they play them all over. But said Woods played more of the down safety roll which typically is the the spot the SS usually plays. They did say their switch them up depending on matchups but for the majority of the yr it was Woods as the Down safety.

snapper

Reaction score
This.

Dallas Cowboys Radio discussed this in detail.

Heath is a liability as an all-around safety. The Cowboys feel better about allowing Woods to switch from strong to free than they do about Heath. I think they would love to have Heath as a Special Teams guy and backup safety if they can manage it.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
This.

Dallas Cowboys Radio discussed this in detail.

Heath is a liability as an all-around safety. The Cowboys feel better about allowing Woods to switch from strong to free than they do about Heath. I think they would love to have Heath as a Special Teams guy and backup safety if they can manage it.

Woods can play either spot. But the way he hits and his aggresiveness he is just better closer to the LOS. He covers the flat as good as anybody in the league. The same on crossing routes usually forcing incomplete passes with his hits.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I’m good with safety, de, or dt with our second pick and I agree it’s looking like it might be safety.. Good info...

Mr_437

Reaction score
What about defensive end? Broaddus was talking about some defensive end/tackle hybrid that Marinelli was all over at the combine.
Yeah, I like Zach Allen who can be the new more athletic TyCraw playing either DE and 3Tech...#90 from Texas too.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Would not be surprised if they trade up in the 2nd to get their guy at S or DE but I think DE they will see as more of a need.

RS12

Reaction score
I think Dexter Lawrence and Jeffrey Simmons slide a long way. I would certainly take Simmons at 58 and not look back.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I think Dexter Lawrence and Jeffrey Simmons slide a long way. I would certainly take Simmons at 58 and not look back.

They aren't going to draft Simmons, this team is looking to win this year. Lawrence is a guy I think they would have interest in considering how they lost vs the Rams, but with these contract dropping in price by the day especially along the D-Line would be Danny Shelton. Malcom Brown started over Shelton in NE and signed today for 3 years 15 million. Why could the Cowboys get Shelton for less on a 1-2 year deal?

You figure Collins, Covington, Woods, and Shelton you have 2 deep and a healthy looking rotation at DT and 1 less hole to go into the draft.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d go WR or DL in the second and third and then look to add S and another DT after that.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
With what theyre doing right now you can get somewhat of a look at where they probably go in the draft

WR
Dallas picked up Hurns option so he will be back. And word is he's already working out.
Dallas signed Devin Smith. Very talented has just been caught in injuries.
Dallas signed Tavon Austin.
Cedrick Wilson will be back in 2019.
Dallas seems to like Noah Brown
Then Add in Cooper and Gallup.

Wouldnt be suprised if they dont draft anybody or until the 7th.

OL
Dallas has all the depth on the interior they need.
They just resigned their swing tackle
The have their swing tackle in the waiting on the PS in Campos

TE
Jason Witten returned
Jarwin emerged late in the season
Schultz looks like he might be the future starter
McElroy lol yeah....
Witten didnt come back to play 20 snaps

LB
They dont need nothing here.

Think the first pick will most likely end up being Safety.

Theres a couple names there too that will be nice. But theres a specific type of S Richards needs. They dont need a SS, because even thought he doest have the traditional size, Woods is the SS. He's a S who is playing the box most of the time. Dallas needs that single high. Because thats not Woods game, he roams the middle and puts hits on guys.

At 58 There are 2 guys who will most likely be there for them to draft.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Probably has the highest ceiling of the 2 safeties im going to talk about. But also has the bigger hole. He can play either S spot. Can play in the slot on bigger WRs and TEs and the down safety but also plays the single high. Has alot of range but does play tight in that single high spot. Alot of his problems are over thinking and a little cheating. With a guy like Richards this kid can find his zone and take off.

Juan Thornhill
Thornhill has probably reached his ceiling, and its not bad. He actually has better size for the single high S that they want. He's a former CB with the ballhawk skills this team lacks, 10Ints in the last 2 yrs He is the better guy in transition from backpeddling into running with WR. Very comfortable playing with his back to the QB. Reads the Wrs movements to adjust to the pass. IMO Thornill is a most natural fit for what this team does. He's NFL ready and needs less development. While Johnson has the possibility to be better, theres also the possibility for him to be just a situational player.

ROUND2
Juan Thornhill S

DL
While this draft has alot of talent on the DL...Most of the talent at DT is in round 1. Theres a couple of DTs later but they dont leave round 2. And i think S is a bigger need. DE this team isnt going to give up on Gregory as his situation is going to get fixed with a rule change soon. Charlton and Armstrong are still there and Charlton i think is going to take that step this yr. I think he would've last yr if he didnt get caught up in them injuries. He started the yr off hot then got hurt. Armstrong is a 4th rounder, needs development.

But this is the 2nd biggest need on the team. Depth behind the starters.

They've added Covington and resigned Ross. NT as much as people here are wanting these slobs with their stomachs hanging over their pants thats not gonna happen. This team doesnt use that type of NT. And as much as people here want to say they didnt get run over in the rams or colts game. Those teams simply let them go where their assignment took them and they had the patience to run behind them. Simple as that, its called a wash for those who dont know. That left alot of open room for them Gs and the C to take out Smith and Vander Esch. Thats a coaching fault that didnt adjust.

So round 3 comes in at the 90 pick

Theres a guy there that the team might have to trade up for. And they have met with him.

Charles Omenihu
He played the 5tech at Texas but in Dallas they would probably ask him to add a little weight and play the 3tech. He is really fast off the snap, and i could see them using him the same way they use Crawford. Has the length and the hands to fight off blocks inside with the burst to get to the QB at the shorter distance then playing DE.

Joe Jackson
He is the prototype SDE for this DE. Doesnt have the speed or natural bend this team looks for at DE. Same skill set as Charlton but not nearly as defined which is why he's a later round pick. Would actually clog up to DE spot for Dallas. But like i said the talent for the DL spot is round 1-2 heavy then it drops off dramatically. While these guys are still serviceable,theyre not going to jump out at you.

ROUND3 trades 90 and RD4 comp
Charles Omenihu 3tech
Dallas also gets back a 6th rounder

Would love Chauncey and I’m also digging Joe Jackson back to back. Throw in Willis lol man I like them all.