News: Discussions begin with Jaylon Smith on new contract

Mr_437

Reaction score
Nothing like having a monster MLB!!! Good their negotiating already.

I think Byron is gone or they would've been at the table by now...just to get a preliminary idea. I see the Cowboys value of CBs dropping to make room for all these other positions. Kris Richard has brought in a system where DAL can find CBs for cheap and in mid rounds.

I have to agree right now with guys like Jaylon n LVE, but there's nothing like a shutdown CB either.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nothing wrong with talking about a deal. Stephen also said players can make bank but not max deals so it seems the negotiating table is set for all these guys who want deals to not get crazy money.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I really do not understand paying guys 1 or 2 years before you have to unless they are taking less on a yearly average to account for getting paid early. If the team isn’t getting the discount associated with the final year of cheap salary included in the deal then it’s just plain dumb. Why pay someone $12 million this year when they are under contract for $2 million unless they are giving back that $10 million in the overall deal?

Eanwen

Reaction score
I really do not understand paying guys 1 or 2 years before you have to unless they are taking less on a yearly average to account for getting paid early. If the team isn’t getting the discount associated with the final year of cheap salary included in the deal then it’s just plain dumb. Why pay someone $12 million this year when they are under contract for $2 million unless they are giving back that $10 million in the overall deal?

I can only assume they think it's cheaper in the long run. Every year any given position wants more money in free agency/new contracts.

From the article it sounds like the FO thinks they can sign Dak, Cooper, Jones, and Jaylon, which is good news I think. Not sure where that leaves JVE but I guess we'll worry about that in 3-4 years from now.

ksg811

Reaction score

Because you get to use the last year of their deal as year one of the new contract, saving cap space in the long run. I'll make an example based off yours.

Player X is in the last year of his deal making $2M. He is signed to a 5 year $60M extension at $12M AAV. This extension however is only new money, as he is still owed the 1/$2M remaining on his original deal, making the total deal 6 years and $62M, an AAV of $10.3M, nearly $2M less than his contract. The player is getting the same amount of money, but the team gets an extra $2M a year on their cap sheet.

erod

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with talking about a deal. Stephen also said players can make bank but not max deals so it seems the negotiating table is set for all these guys who want deals to not get crazy money.

Most players laugh at that notion. They want every last dollar they can get.

No way Zeke, Amari, or probably Byron take less money to stay here. Dak and Jaylon might.

mardwin

Reaction score
He had a great 2019 season, but I'd like to see him do it again before giving out a massive extension to him.

Really? This guy was a top 3 talent if it wasn't for his knee injury. He fell to the 2nd round because of uncertainty around recovery but now he's 100% and it showed in his 3rd year.

J12B

Reaction score
Really? This guy was a top 3 talent if it wasn't for his knee injury. He fell to the 2nd round because of uncertainty around recovery but now he's 100% and it showed in his 3rd year.

Just want to see him do it again. He was average to below average in 2017.