News: Discussions begin with Jaylon Smith on new contract

Little Jr

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen are determined to extend a bunch of guys who have never gotten beyond the divisional round of the playoffs.

Eat it up folks, keep dreaming, and keep spending your hard earned dollars on the Dallas Cowboys. :rolleyes:
So getting past divisional round is the only way we should give out extensions or how any team should give out extensions? You know how many FA their would be? Lol most teams wouldnt even have a team.

So T.Smith , Fred, Martin ext. didnt deserve extensions?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Because you get to use the last year of their deal as year one of the new contract, saving cap space in the long run. I'll make an example based off yours.

Player X is in the last year of his deal making $2M. He is signed to a 5 year $60M extension at $12M AAV. This extension however is only new money, as he is still owed the 1/$2M remaining on his original deal, making the total deal 6 years and $62M, an AAV of $10.3M, nearly $2M less than his contract. The player is getting the same amount of money, but the team gets an extra $2M a year on their cap sheet.
That all gets thrown out the window anyway when a player/agent under contract, feels that they deserve to be payed more.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That all gets thrown out the window anyway when a player/agent under contract, feels that they deserve to be payed more.

And now a days, the player and his agent then light up a joint...irony of irony.

(not my wheel house or ethics, at all)

Proof

Reaction score
Why does everyone act as if it is their money. It doesn't mean they are going to extend him yet.
He will be a RFA. So at worst they can tender him a contract to get a 1sty or 2nd round pick or match the offer.
Or as mentioned, start the talks now to lock him up so they will not have to make that decision coming up. As they will need to deal with jones and Zeke next year if not this year.

If they can swing it, get them all locked up and keep the core team together for 4 or 5 more years.

Same reason fans act like it’s their team. We have lifelong vested interests. The money no matter where it comes from represents the finite mechanism of acquiring and retaining talent and so fans have an opinion on how it’s allocated

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Could turn out be be one of the greatest gambles that paid off for the Jones crew. Amazing how much he has progressed since the draft. And seems to be an even better young man than player. Cornerstone player and individual. Pay him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same reason fans act like it’s their team. We have lifelong vested interests. The money no matter where it comes from represents the finite mechanism of acquiring and retaining talent and so fans have an opinion on how it’s allocated

And I understand that.
But that is in the hands of the FO. I can care less how they allocate it or spend or not spend it. It always works out now, as opposed when Jerry over spent.
I know many do not have faith in the FO, and I understand why. Heck, I Don't have total faith in them. But I don't let the salary cap and such bother me as much as others.

But I guess everyone will have their opinion as to how to handle it. If a player has to be let go because of cap reasons, some will say the FO should have given player X less. But if they did not give that player X what they did, and he left, then the same fans will say, Jerry is dumb he should have paid him more. It is an endless cycle. But so be it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Do you take less at your job
really yes yes I do there are those in the organization like CEOs CFOs Owners , employees with more tenure or work in more critical operations.. take that Mess and open the lid and gladly insert it into the trash BIN..that isnt working.. DAK DOES NOT DESERVE 30 HE HASNT EARNED IT AS OF YET..PEERS ON HIS LEVL AT THE SAME POSTION SHOW HIS MARLET WHOULD BE UNDER 27MIL BUT I HAVE HIM AT 25 BECAUSE LETS GET REAL, HE ISNT GOIGNTO EB DRIVING KIAS OR SMART CARS TALKING LESS..we dont live in that world but pay scales vary at every job..so asking for payers to GET REAL, DONT SPEW THAT COWBOY FOR LIFE BS THEN WANT MAX MONEY...lets move on..

The FO IMO would be dumb to over pay for any of these guys,

My scale
Dak 25-27MAX
Amari-14-15 Max
Zeke 12-14 Max
BJ im not even interested but id offer 7-8 Max or let him walk develop Lewis theres not much of difference
Jsmith dude owes the cowboys big time and has a lot yet to prove so he does need to keep his demands down IMO 6-8mil he not Luke K or top 5 as of yet..

those are my points other then Zeke these guys making demands and are out of the top 10 at their positions but want top 5 money..no way Frankly we cant build team of overpaid players, reality says some need to be cut or take less yes less its not a term that is an insult when we are talking millionaires anyway./just like Tom Brady you can live on that ..

The Natural

Reaction score
really yes yes I do there are those in the organization like CEOs CFOs Owners , employees with more tenure or work in more critical operations.. take that Mess and open the lid and gladly insert it into the trash BIN..that isnt working.. DAK DOES NOT DESERVE 30 HE HASNT EARNED IT AS OF YET..PEERS ON HIS LEVL AT THE SAME POSTION SHOW HIS MARLET WHOULD BE UNDER 27MIL BUT I HAVE HIM AT 25 BECAUSE LETS GET REAL, HE ISNT GOIGNTO EB DRIVING KIAS OR SMART CARS TALKING LESS..we dont live in that world but pay scales vary at every job..so asking for payers to GET REAL, DONT SPEW THAT COWBOY FOR LIFE BS THEN WANT MAX MONEY...lets move on..

The FO IMO would be dumb to over pay for any of these guys,

My scale
Dak 25-27MAX
Amari-14-15 Max
Zeke 12-14 Max
BJ im not even interested but id offer 7-8 Max or let him walk develop Lewis theres not much of difference
Jsmith dude owes the cowboys big time and has a lot yet to prove so he does need to keep his demands down IMO 6-8mil he not Luke K or top 5 as of yet..

those are my points other then Zeke these guys making demands and are out of the top 10 at their positions but want top 5 money..no way Frankly we cant build team of overpaid players, reality says some need to be cut or take less yes less its not a term that is an insult when we are talking millionaires anyway./just like Tom Brady you can live on that ..
Man shut up. But I agree on not paying BJ

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
He will be

Did you read the article? He will be restricted AFTER this year, and we would have the option to match anyone elses offer
That's why I say get it done before seasons end. We dont want this guy receiving any other offers. Other teams might offer him 13million a year.

InTheZone

Reaction score
In his first year back to anywhere near 100% he was a top 5 LB in football along with LVE.
I didn't watch other teams so I can't say where he ranks, but is he really top 5? He does a lot of things right, but top 5? I'm still sour about the playoff game, completely unimpressed with everyone on defense, they'll need to earn that trust again when I see another team punch them back in the mouth.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Cowboys better pay him. He's going to be a monster.
I think he'll be a better player over the next few years than D. Law. In fact, he's arguably the best player on our defense, and I doubt he was 100 percent last year.

Pants

Reaction score
Yeah, you must have.

121 tackles 82 solo
4 sacks
2 forced fumbles
2 fumble recovery
1 TD
Started 16 games and was healthy all season.

Some fans are just impossible to please

you left out Super Bowl MVP