Twitter: DLaw ranked 7 heading into 2021

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
And the 3rd highest paid DE in the league...

when you’re making $21 million/year, lack of sacks do matter. Sacks change outcomes of games.
Sacks matter, yes he is over paid, but the guy is still a really good football player. Very few players actually live up to the standard of new contracts, but you’ve got to keep some guys around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

when you’re making $21 million/year, lack of sacks do matter. Sacks change outcomes of games.

Theres always an effort to minimize their importance when they’re not there. The fact is that Mack, Donald, and Lawrence all got their big contracts because they were putting up big sack numbers.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sacks matter, yes he is over paid, but the guy is still a really good football player. Very few players actually live up to the standard of new contracts, but you’ve got to keep some guys around.
I agree with you there, man. My issue is only the money, relative to performance. If he was making $15-16 million instead of $21, I’d love the guy. He’s a strong locker room leader too

Jipper

Reaction score
funny reading that anyone on the cowboys defense was an "elite" run defender....i guess the fact that he can suck up 2-3 blockers at any given time is big...too bad the other defeneders couldnt capitalize on it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys have no choice. They not only gave Lawrence a significant signing bonus, but they restructured his contract, guaranteeing even more money.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Theres always an effort to minimize their importance when they’re not there. The fact is that Mack, Donald, and Lawrence all got their big contracts because they were putting up big sack numbers.

Agreed. It may not be ALL about sacks, but 35 guys had more sacks than Lawrence in 2020. No matter what metric people want to use... for the money he’s making, that’s a disgusting stat.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. It may not be ALL about sacks, but 35 guys had more sacks than Lawrence in 2020. No matter what metric people want to use... for the money he’s making, that’s a disgusting stat.

Yeah. No sugarcoating or minimizing that. Those numbers have to come up significantly. Otherwise, this team needs to look at getting out of that contract because they’re not getting adequate return on investment.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I hope his sack numbers rebound.

Hopefully, he won't be playing part of the season on one leg like he was last year. I get that we expect a lot from him for what he's paid, but some seem to give him no credit for fighting through a knee injury in 13 games.

It's fair to wonder if he can stay healthy, since he had the ankle injury his rookie year, shoulder surgery after receiving his big contract and the knee injury this year. However, we can't question his willingness to play hurt.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
This will go over the head of most of those who do not like Lawrence and/or his contract, but..

When you're evaluating his sack numbers, you have to look at his support cast--especially the interior DL. As he's had a 10 ten pass-rush win rate the last 5 years, it means he is beating his man on the OL. Why isn't he getting home more often then? Well, without collapse of the pocket or consistent right side pressure, the QB can simply step up into the pocket or roll-out right to buy more time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully, he won't be playing part of the season on one leg like he was last year. I get that we expect a lot from him for what he's paid, but some seem to give him no credit for fighting through a knee injury in 13 games.

It's fair to wonder if he can stay healthy, since he had the ankle injury his rookie year, shoulder surgery after receiving his big contract and the knee injury this year. However, we can't question his willingness to play hurt.

I hope that the 2020 injury was the reason for the lower production and that he stays healthy and rebounds in 2021. Thats great for everyone.

Dre11

Reaction score

no the don't, his job isn't to just get sacks.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If DLaw gets an inkling of an inside push from the DT's he's automatic 10 sacks a year.

DLaw haters don't watch the tape.

this defense can have a massive turnaround. Having new dt and Gregory at the other edge w new linebackers dlaw could go back to his old sack stats