DLawrence next contract

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Spotrac actually suggests a market value of 6 years for 124M.
DLaw is going to be very, very costly or he is going to be gone and you have Taco, Gregory and TCraw at DE without an R1 pick.
But they would have 90m+ to sign someone

DLaw is really good but he isn't Mack or Watt more like DHunter or Chandler Jones

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spotrac actually suggests a market value of 6 years for 124M.
DLaw is going to be very, very costly or he is going to be gone and you have Taco, Gregory and TCraw at DE without an R1 pick.

No doubt. It's looking like a "you should have signed him sooner!" deal but I won't beat the team up over needing to be sure. But now there's no doubt. He makes the defensive line - and by extension the entire defense - go. If there's one guy earning their big-money contract, it's that guy. Suck it up, pay him, and be happy that you found your War Daddy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No doubt. It's looking like a "you should have signed him sooner!" deal but I won't beat the team up over needing to be sure. But now there's no doubt. He makes the defensive line - and by extension the entire defense - go. If there's one guy earning their big-money contract, it's that guy. Suck it up, pay him, and be happy that you found your War Daddy.
He is currently 16th in the league in Sacks and has a torn shoulder

Those are big factors

Pay that man but don't destroy the team to do it

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is currently 16th in the league in Sacks and has a torn shoulder

Those are big factors

Fair enough, but isnt he also 16th in sacks despite that torn shoulder?

And, as I recall, he's also an atrocious call away from having another sack/fumble against the Saints and being 11th in sacks.

Pay that man but don't destroy the team to do it

I think it's going to take a $20 million a year average rather than the numbers you're quoting. And they have to keep him, especially since they don't have a 2019 1st round pick and 2017's 1st round pick looks more like a bust than an option.

Pay Lawrence and figure out what you have left for the others. He's earning his money.

I think you would more "destroy the team" by not doing it.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Fair enough, but isnt he also 16th in sacks despite that torn shoulder?

And, as I recall, he's also an atrocious call away from having another sack/fumble against the Saints and being 11th in sacks.

I think it's going to take a $20 million a year average rather than the numbers you're quoting. And they have to keep him, especially since they don't have a 2019 1st round pick and 2017's 1st round pick looks more like a bust than an option.

Pay Lawrence and figure out what you have left for the others. He's earning his money.
But if they Tag him and trade him they will get that 1st back AND 90m

I want to keep him but the team has more leverage than it thinks..... DLaw has shown no signs of giving an inch so that kind of sours me .... he is still a very rich man at 5/90m with 40m gtd after making 17m this year

I want to build a dynasty of 4-7 years not a one hit wonder and we need everyone to play ball and that is how I sell everyone

Mr_437

Reaction score

I want to keep him but the team has more leverage than it thinks..... DLaw has shown no signs of giving an inch so that kind of sours me .... he is still a very rich man at 5/90m with 40m gtd after making 17m this year

I want to build a dynasty of 4-7 years not a one hit wonder and we need everyone to play ball and that is how I sell everyone
No upside in playing with DLaw's money. No defense, no dynasty. The cap will be ok long as they don't overpaying at QB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Demarcus Lawrence's play has been absolutely stellar this season and his gamble to play under the franchise tag is paying off. Although his sacks are down compared to last year, he is just as disruptive and shows up in defending the run It is safe to say a big contract coming his way.

Based off a couple of other recent deals (Mack Danielle Hunter, Von Miller and Vernon ), I put together a possible new deal.

5 years $100 million/$63 million guaranteed.

2019 cap hit - 16 million
2020 cap hit - 19 million
2021 cap hit - 21 million
2022 cap hit - 23 million (7 million in dead money and 16 million in cap savings, if released)
2023 cap hit - 23 million (23 million in cap savings, if released).

A structure like this would give the Dallas front office flexibility to restructure in future years or release him after 3 years (without too much dead money), if needed. According to over the cap, Dallas is expected to have cap space of $55 million in 2019, resulting in Dallas having $39 million available to expend with Lawrence only counting 16 million towards the cap.

What do you think of this deal and what are your thoughts on Demarcus Lawrence's future in Dallas?
The structure is not that important at this point. The average is the key number.

It is a 20M per deal or 21M per over 3 years.

They manage the cap based on multiple years and all players. Extra cap space pushes forward.

His cap hit in 2019 only matters relative to other contracts.

They don't really need to push money forward from 2019 into other years. It will be 2020/2021 where the cap will start to get tighter

By 2020 these players will be on new contracts.
DLaw
Dak
Zeke
Byron Jones
Amari Cooper

Maybe Beasley.

Maybe Earl Thomas.

I might just Franchise DLaw again. His two back surgeries still worry me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I see the "leverage" coming in the Prescott deal, not this one. Lawrence has proved his worth while ranking among the tops at his position for two years. I'll let it ride with the quarterback and tag him at $30 million in 2020 if I have to, and if he's worth it. But I'll pay the proven commodity first.

I appreciate your sentiment, but all I'll say is "Good luck!" Players do this to get paid, first and foremost. And while I can see Lawrence being a "team guy" to some degree, he's not going to take $18 million a year while his peers like Khalil Mack is making $24 million a year. No way, no how. And I wouldn't expect him to.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lawrence, Lord Byron, Cooper and Prescott and who else do y'all think they can sign? How much will be left after signing their own? They can option Lord Byron for a year but then they've still got others coming up after 19. Can they re-sign all the key players in this coming and the following off seasons?

Seems to me the key to this lies in what they do at QB. They pay him 20M+ a year, that's as high a risk as they can take because that's going to put the squeeze on putting top talent around him and that is required, if they're going to keep him as QB1 and pay him.

The prudent thing would have been to stay tight lipped about the QB and his contract because they've announced to the public they intend on rewarding him. They put themselves in a place they didn't have to be in.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The structure is not that important at this point. The average is the key number.

They manage the cap based on multiple years and all players. Extra cap space pushes forward.

They don't really need to push money forward from 2019 into other years. It will be 2020/2021 where the cap will start to get tighter

DLaw
Dak
Zeke
Byron Jones
Amari Cooper

Maybe Beasley.

Maybe Earl Thomas.

I don't know how much it would help the cap, but I'd let Bease go and pass on ET to save for 2020.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

DLaw
Dak
Zeke
Byron Jones
Amari Cooper

Maybe Beasley.

Maybe Earl Thomas.

Would he be the good soldier again or pull a Dez and be a no show?

J12B

Reaction score

DLaw
Dak
Zeke
Byron Jones
Amari Cooper

Maybe Beasley.

Maybe Earl Thomas.

Byron Jones - I'm fine with franchise tagging him in 2020 and letting him walk in 2021. He doesnt create enough turnovers to demand top dollar.

Cooper - I like the idea of signing him to a 6 year deal since he is so young and hasnt had any injury issues.

Earl Thomas - I like the idea of us signing him to a 2-3 year deal and drafting a Safety in the 1st or 2nd round in 2020 draft to let him learn behind ET for 1 year.

The Dallas front office is going to have a ton of cap space in the coming years. I'm sure a couple of big contracts that are here righ now, wont be in 2020 like Tyron Smith.

Tussinman

Reaction score
But they would have 90m+ to sign someone

DLaw is really good but he isn't Mack or Watt more like DHunter or Chandler Jones
Kinda agree.

People keep saying "buh buh the Mack deal". Fringe top 5 injury prone edge rusher isn't getting DPOTY money lets be real.

Dlaw will get paid but it will be at least 12-15% less than Mack

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lawrence, Lord Byron, Cooper and Prescott and who else do y'all think they can sign? How much will be left after signing their own? They can option Lord Byron for a year but then they've still got others coming up after 19. Can they re-sign all the key players in this coming and the following off seasons?

Seems to me the key to this lies in what they do at QB. They pay him 20M+ a year, that's as high a risk as they can take because that's going to put the squeeze on putting top talent around him and that is required, if they're going to keep him as QB1 and pay him.

The prudent thing would have been to stay tight lipped about the QB and his contract because they've announced to the public they intend on rewarding him. They put themselves in a place they didn't have to be in.

I think they can sign Earl Thomas for the next two to three years if they wanted to, or felt they need to in order for the defense to be elite. But based on that last performance? I'm not sure they need him.

But keep in mind that they also have two big-money deals they can soon get out of if they want to in Lee and Crawford. So there is some cap relief if they need it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good question.

It's about 19M for the 2nd Franchise Tag.
I do think he played his part and was a leader in good faith that if he produced, he would be rewarded with more security than another tagged year. I do think they have to make a decision with him long term.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they can sign Earl Thomas for the next two to three years if they wanted to, or felt they need to in order for the defense to be elite. But based on that last performance? I'm not sure they need him.

But keep in mind that they also have two big-money deals they can soon get out of if they want to in Lee and Crawford. So there is some cap relief if they need it.
Thomas wants top 3 FS money and has missed 2 seasons with a broken leg. That's a pretty risky move.

The other thing about Thomas is Richard. They will take his lead about Thomas but they were not willing to give up a high pick for him this season. What will the market be for Thomas?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thomas wants top 3 FS money and has missed 2 seasons with a broken leg. That's a pretty risky move.

The other thing about Thomas is Richard. They will take his lead about Thomas but they were not willing to give up a high pick for him this season. What will the market be for Thomas?

I consider the 2nd rounder that they offered to be a "high pick".

The money will have to be right and the need will have to exist. I want to see how the team can follow up on last Thursday's dominant performance. Thomas may be a luxury they ultimately don't need.

gmoney112

Reaction score

We have a ton of cap, even if we pay DLaw $20million a year or whatever, which we should do. Lock him up.

Byron is on his option next year, but the dude stays healthy and is a top notch corner. He's a great asset. I'd try to lock him up this offseason too.

Cooper is our #1, and while I was against the trade, i've been pleasantly surprised. I would have no problem locking him after this season as well.

Zeke will have his option picked up for 2020. The question is Dak, but even if we gave Dak a healthy contract we're still in really good shape. We are $125million under for 2020. That's with no rollover. What a pleasant change. Lock up our best players and that's how you build a team.

And you're right. Crawford is still an $8million savings in 2020. As far as ET, I would absolutely get him. All-Pro caliber safeties can play a long time, and the cap space required to sign him is definitely not a make or break deal. Keep Woods in sub packages and as depth, and keep developing him while he learns behind Earl.

It's cliche on this forum for people to say "we can do what we want", because it's really been semi-true, I guess. But, right now our salary cap looks fantastic. We can, and should, retain our best players who aren't just playing at a high caliber compared to our team, but at a high caliber compared to the league. A young pass-rushing DE, a young legit #1 WR, and a young legit #1 CB is a great place to start. A piece like Earl, a true single high safety that is still really, really good is exactly the kind of moves you make when you have a young team and you're piecing together a Championship style team. Especially a defense like ours, and with the coach that helped groom him.