DLawrence next contract

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This is one of those situations where we can be glad our owner is Jerry.

There's no way you develop a guy to be a premier defensive end and then let someone else have him. It's too important.

Well Jerry has wanted a war daddy for years, Tank sells tons of jerseys and what not, Tank delivers tons of huge plays, Tank is loved by the fans. There is no way in hell whatsoever that Jerry watches Tank play in any uniform other than a Cowboys uniform before Tank's prime is long gone.

Seriously, if Jerry pets Tank play elsewhere in the next 2 to 5 years, then I'm the Queen of England and everything I know about Jerry is a lie.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I see the "leverage" coming in the Prescott deal, not this one. Lawrence has proved his worth while ranking among the tops at his position for two years. I'll let it ride with the quarterback and tag him at $30 million in 2020 if I have to, and if he's worth it. But I'll pay the proven commodity first.

I appreciate your sentiment, but all I'll say is "Good luck!" Players do this to get paid, first and foremost. And while I can see Lawrence being a "team guy" to some degree, he's not going to take $18 million a year while his peers like Khalil Mack is making $24 million a year. No way, no how. And I wouldn't expect him to.
HE IS NOT MACK and hasn't proven a thing.... he has 14 sacks last year and on pace for 12 this year

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think he played his part and was a leader in good faith that if he produced, he would be rewarded with more security than another tagged year. I do think they have to make a decision with him long term.

The Cowboys know more about his back than I do obviously but they've had many players retire due to back issues.

From memory:
Haley
Novacek
Moose
Aikman
LB they drafted
Romo
Marco Rivera

Now Tyron's future is in question due to his back.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Kinda agree.

People keep saying "buh buh the Mack deal". Fringe top 5 injury prone edge rusher isn't getting DPOTY money lets be real.

Dlaw will get paid but it will be at least 12-15% less than Mack
He isn't ADonald or Watt either...just isn't

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is one of those situations where we can be glad our owner is Jerry.

There's no way you develop a guy to be a premier defensive end and then let someone else have him. It's too important.

Well Jerry has wanted a war daddy for years, Tank sells tons of jerseys and what not, Tank delivers tons of huge plays, Tank is loved by the fans. There is no way in hell whatsoever that Jerry watches Tank play in any uniform other than a Cowboys uniform before Tank's prime is long gone.

Seriously, if Jerry pets Tank play elsewhere in the next 2 to 5 years, then I'm the Queen of England and everything I know about Jerry is a lie.
Long Live the Queen

lk8701

Reaction score
He said he won't take another franchise tag .I think he will want 21 or 22 .I'd rather front load so we can save cap for jaylon, Byron, Zeke, Cooper in future years?

The best solution is to not re-sign Dak.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
2023 cap hit - 23 million (23 million in cap savings, if released).

$0 dead money in a year-5 release is very unlikely. His signing bonus will almost assuredly be prorated over 5 years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
$0 dead money in a year-5 release is very unlikely. His signing bonus will almost assuredly be prorated over 5 years.
They should load on Dead Money with another lockout or uncapped year coming in 2021

I would back load all deals and restructure everyone...... create as much room today as possible

Dump Dead Money in 2021 instead of messing around with Miles Austin's deal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HE IS NOT MACK and hasn't proven a thing.... he has 14 sacks last year and on pace for 12 this year

26 sacks in the past two years is more than Khalil Mack territory, who averages 10 a year over his own career.

Agree to disagree. He's proven he's the "War Daddy" we so desperately needed. Your attempts to minimize him fail.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
26 sacks in the past two years is more than Khalil Mack territory, who averages 10 a year over his own career.

Agree to disagree. He's proven he's the "War Daddy" we so desperately needed. Your attempts to minimize him fail.
Not even close

No one will say DLaw is better than Mack or even in his class

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even close

No one will say DLaw is better than Mack or even in his class

Put it to a vote. Start a poll. You'll be surprised by what "no one" actually says. It's easy to make baseless claims with no support.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Demarcus Lawrence's play has been absolutely stellar this season and his gamble to play under the franchise tag is paying off. Although his sacks are down compared to last year, he is just as disruptive and shows up in defending the run It is safe to say a big contract coming his way.

Based off a couple of other recent deals (Mack Danielle Hunter, Von Miller and Vernon ), I put together a possible new deal.

5 years $100 million/$63 million guaranteed.

2019 cap hit - 16 million
2020 cap hit - 19 million
2021 cap hit - 21 million
2022 cap hit - 23 million (7 million in dead money and 16 million in cap savings, if released)
2023 cap hit - 23 million (23 million in cap savings, if released).

A structure like this would give the Dallas front office flexibility to restructure in future years or release him after 3 years (without too much dead money), if needed. According to over the cap, Dallas is expected to have cap space of $55 million in 2019, resulting in Dallas having $39 million available to expend with Lawrence only counting 16 million towards the cap.

What do you think of this deal and what are your thoughts on Demarcus Lawrence's future in Dallas?

I think its a little bit overpaid but ok.

Question to me is with what team he signs.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Put it to a vote. Start a poll. You'll be surprised by what "no one" actually says. It's easy to make baseless claims with no support.
Don't worry about me.....I"m on Terra Firma

I would take 2 Firsts and 140m for DLaw every day of the week

We didn't get one offer for DLaw

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem for the team is that Lawrence knows they've got to keep him. None of the other DE's have shown up, especially Charleton, except for Gregory at times and the D in Dallas stands for Defense now. If they let him walk, he will end up in the East, just as Canty did.

The push is all on Lawrence's agent side of the desk unless they tag him again.

We can argue his value up against players like Mack and Miller but his value as a piece of this team defense is known. He's done his part, and more, since he's been target #1 of the opposing OC's. There are players on team D's that are greater in value than 1/11th and he is one of those. It is not about his value on the open market but his value to the team.