DLawrence next contract

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't worry about me.....I"m on Terra Firma

I would take 2 Firsts and 140m for DLaw every day of the week

We didn't get one offer for DLaw
How do you know they didn't field some offers? Of course, not 2 1sts because he isn't Mack but how many Mack's are there? And how many were willing to give up what CHI did for him?

Verdict

Reaction score
If we get Lawrence for 17-18 spur that would be a steal.

I think the deal Mack got is going to give Lawrence more leverage during negotiations though. Plus he has now had great seasons back to back.

Lawrence is a very good player. But he is not in the class of Donald, Miller, Mack and a few others. We should not pay him Mack money.

If he wants that much money then flip him for a first and whatever change you can get and draft his replacement. Obviously you try to sign him first for a reasonable deal. But you can't pay him $25 million per year or anything close to that and keep the other players you want to keep.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you can't get DL signed you tag him and trade him to the highest bidder.

Verdict

Reaction score
The structure is not that important at this point. The average is the key number.

It is a 20M per deal or 21M per over 3 years.

They manage the cap based on multiple years and all players. Extra cap space pushes forward.

His cap hit in 2019 only matters relative to other contracts.

They don't really need to push money forward from 2019 into other years. It will be 2020/2021 where the cap will start to get tighter

By 2020 these players will be on new contracts.
DLaw
Dak
Zeke
Byron Jones
Amari Cooper

Maybe Beasley.

Maybe Earl Thomas.

I might just Franchise DLaw again. His two back surgeries still worry me.

I agree that the biggest issue is the amount of money he gets per year, not the structure. It's also not about what we can do, it is what we SHOULD do.

We all want to sign DLaw. He is going to be a rich man. But if he wants to break the bank, then move on and leave that window open.

Taco needs to get himself in the weight room and break out next year.

J12B

Reaction score
Lawrence is a very good player. But he is not in the class of Donald, Miller, Mack and a few others. We should not pay him Mack money.

If he wants that much money then flip him for a first and whatever change you can get and draft his replacement. Obviously you try to sign him first for a reasonable deal. But you can't pay him $25 million per year or anything close to that and keep the other players you want to keep.

I agree 25 per year is too high. My projection was at 20 million average per year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't worry about me.....I"m on Terra Firma

I would take 2 Firsts and 140m for DLaw every day of the week

We didn't get one offer for DLaw

That doesn't sound like "Terra Firma" to me if you think you're getting anywhere near that for him.

Reaction score
Lawrence is not at Mack's level.

In 2016 Von Miller signed a 6 year $114 million deal with $70 guaranteed. Dlawrence only has 2 consecutive years of great play compared to 4 years with Mack and 4 years Miller had when their deals were signed Dlawrence deal will be slightly less, imo.

We can probably get him for 5 year/$110 million with $65 to $70 guaranteed. Maybe my first scenario was team friendly but it should be in this neighborhood.

$80 million in guarantess is where Lawrence's agent will start at but will have to negotiate at a lower asking price.

Actually, Lawrence is every bit on Mack's level. Mack (19.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 111 tackles in 2017-18); Lawrence (23.5, 6 FF and 108). Nobody cares whether you did it for 4 years or 14 years, only that you're doing it now and you repeated it. NFL careers are waaaaay to short to pay a guy based on what he did 6 years ago. Nobody cares. And what Miller got three years ago is irrelevant, too.

I love how you guys just think the players will "have to accept" this or that. That's just not how it works. Dallas has two options: tag him yearly and hope he goes along with it. That cost will be $22 million next year and more than $30 million for 2020.

Option B is to give him a market-value contract and that starts at 5 years, $125 million. You could do this and get away with cap hits in the 18-20 range the first two years, so they are certainly going to sign him.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Do we have the cap space to pay all these guys market value or are we going to be cutting some put of necessity?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am assuming that the FO will front end load the contract with a fat signing bonus. Maybe save a few million that way. They always get tantalized by that up front money. Pay the man. He is a beast.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Actually, Lawrence is every bit on Mack's level. Mack (19.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 111 tackles in 2017-18); Lawrence (23.5, 6 FF and 108). Nobody cares whether you did it for 4 years or 14 years, only that you're doing it now and you repeated it. NFL careers are waaaaay to short to pay a guy based on what he did 6 years ago. Nobody cares. And what Miller got three years ago is irrelevant, too.

I love how you guys just think the players will "have to accept" this or that. That's just not how it works. Dallas has two options: tag him yearly and hope he goes along with it. That cost will be $22 million next year and more than $30 million for 2020.

Option B is to give him a market-value contract and that starts at 5 years, $125 million. You could do this and get away with cap hits in the 18-20 range the first two years, so they are certainly going to sign him.
DLaw does not command the attention and game planning that Mack does

Option C is trade him and get at least one 1st...... if he is as good as Mack then he will get us two 1sts and leave us with over 100m to spend on DE and FS and TE

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Lawrence was a "team guy" this year and played on the franchise tag without a peep. He has even gotten testy with media that tried to goad him into telling about it. He won't, and shouldn't take some sort of discount. All everyone said was "I need to see him do it again!" Now that he has, you want him to lower his price? The discount year was this one, not next year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Lawrence was a "team guy" this year and played on the franchise tag without a peep. He has even gotten testy with media that tried to goad him into telling about it. He won't, and shouldn't take some sort of discount. All everyone said was "I need to see him do it again!" Now that he has, you want him to lower his price? The discount year was this one, not next year.
Really??
He got paid at the top of his position.... the Franchise Tag is not a slight

DLaw is the one that refused a longterm deal.... he is no team player.....he is 100% being selfish which is his right but don't get it twisted

And he did peep that he "wouldn't'' do it again..... like he has final say

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Really??
He got paid at the top of his position.... the Franchise Tag is not a slight

DLaw is the one that refused a longterm deal.... he is no team player.....he is 100% being selfish which is his right but don't get it twisted

And he did peep that he "wouldn't'' do it again..... like he has final say
Players think the franchise tag is a slight. They want long term deals with guaranteed money. He didn't accept a long term deal because they were low balling him and he bet on himself. He won. He doesn't the team anything outside of his current 1 year deal.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They offered him "one hit wonder" contract and he basically had no issues at all taking the tag to prove to the team he could do it again.

Not a team player ? The franchise tag was a win win for both parties which is even what he told the media who tried to start drama (how the hell is that not a team player ?)

eastsideboy

Reaction score
I think this 5 years $100 million could have gotten a deal done this year, but the Mack deal blew that up. If Mack is making close to $24 million a year, that's what Lawrence will be looking for.

And ask yourself:
  • Do you pay the guy who is regularly performing up at the top level at his position in Lawrence?
  • Or do you pay the guy in Prescott, who isn't ?
I'll pay Lawrence first and then see what I have left for a quarterback who's 28th in passing yards per game.

This was a "prove it" year with the team deciding to go with the franchise tag. Well, he has, and now you pay him. Or kiss your pass rush and top-ranked defense goodbye while overpaying for a bottom of the barrel passing game. Smart? Or dumb? Not a tough decision.

He better go to Cleveland cause were not paying him 25 mil a year. We need to lock up our best player b jones asap.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They offered him "one hit wonder" contract and he basically had no issues at all taking the tag to prove to the team he could do it again.

Not a team player ? The franchise tag was a win win for both parties which is even what he told the media who tried to start drama (how the hell is that not a team player ?)
He chose max dollars .... that is his right... not a "team" move