DMN Blog: Bench Greg Ellis

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1:05 PM Tue, Nov 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Now the headline might confuse you. Or it might upset you.

But Wade Phillips was raving about Anthony Spencer yesterday. Phillips said Spencer was harder to block than DeMarcus Ware during the Giants game. I think Phillips is setting Greg Ellis up for a benching. I could be wrong on this, but Phillips did say he wants to shake things up.

Maybe Ellis sits and comes in on third down. It's a plan the Cowboys wanted to implement anyway, well at least a year from now.

The Cowboys haven't done a good job with Ellis. They made him cover tight ends, something he's not good at, instead of rushing the passer on a regular basis.

It's amazing that the Cowboys have messed this thing up with Ellis. After all he had the most sacks he's ever had in his career last year and earned the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award.

He didn't do that covering the tight end. He did that by rushing the quarterback.

links18

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2399960 said:
1:05 PM Tue, Nov 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Now the headline might confuse you. Or it might upset you.

But Wade Phillips was raving about Anthony Spencer yesterday. Phillips said Spencer was harder to block than DeMarcus Ware during the Giants game. I think Phillips is setting Greg Ellis up for a benching. I could be wrong on this, but Phillips did say he wants to shake things up.

Maybe Ellis sits and comes in on third down. It's a plan the Cowboys wanted to implement anyway, well at least a year from now.

The Cowboys haven't done a good job with Ellis. They made him cover tight ends, something he's not good at, instead of rushing the passer on a regular basis.

It's amazing that the Cowboys have messed this thing up with Ellis. After all he had the most sacks he's ever had in his career last year and earned the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award.

He didn't do that covering the tight end. He did that by rushing the quarterback.

If they are going to bench him, bench him--no need to "set him up for a benching".....

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Ellis is a bad player on this team. He is the ultimate individual leader, not a team player. Play enough to get your sacks, play enough to get your contract. Team doesn't matter to him, only his own paycheck. We need spencer to step up, stay healthy, and retire ellis.

Last year he had 12.5 sacks in 10 games. There was a bonus in his contract if he got a certain amount of sacks. It was also incentive to get an extension. This year, in 9 games he has 3 sacks. This is really upsetting given the focus Ware is getting.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Oh, I get it now. Since the coaches decided to play Ellis out of position and away from his strengths, they now want to bench him for dropping his productivity. Wow! This coaching staff seems perfectly qulaifed now to run a mortgage institution straight towards a bailout. :rolleyes:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mentioned in another thread that if Spencer was healthy all season he would have already been the starter. This would be a great move by Wade.

DaBoys4Life;2399972 said:
Ellis should be cut.
We lack a consistent pass rush already. Cutting Ellis wouldn't help matters any.

Drafting his replacement next April would be a high priority if I were coach.

Ren

Reaction score

yeah this makes sense,.. if Spencer is harder to block we need to take him off the field on 3rd down, god forbid the D actually makes a stop around here

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't even think Ellis is a good run defender anymore. MOst of the big runs against us have been to the right - I don't think that is a coincidence.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
links18;2399971 said:
If they are going to bench him, bench him--no need to "set him up for a benching".....
exactly! I wonder if Wade just takes too long to make decisions or he he can't make decisions when he wants to cause of coach Jones.

superpunk

Reaction score
Wasn't Spencer also good at missing tackles against the Giants? I seem to remember thinking "Who whiffed on that one?" once and it was 93.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it too early to start the annual suicide watch for Ellis or should we wait until he starts his usual griping about playing time, etc.?

Word Mofo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2399960 said:

I'd rather have ANYBODY cover tight ends than Demarcus Ware.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I got news for you guys. If they drop Spencer into coverage as much as Ellis then you're going to wonder what's wrong with him. Not saying Ellis is having a great year. Other than Ware none of them are.

I could say the same thing about Spears and Canty. When you lose you start looking for reasons and generally the blame game starts. Well it started weeks ago around here.

The same players beat a very good Bucs team because they didn't turn the ball over and won the field position battle. The same team makes five turnovers and gives the Giants opportunity after opportunity on a short field. The results are all too predictable.

We don't need to cut players. We need them to execute and stop the mistakes. And for the O to give the D a chance.

Very few Ds are going to survive five turnovers and a behind a lousy QB.

BTW, Spencer should start over Ellis because he's faster and stronger as long as you don't ask him to start covering too much downfield. At that point both of them will have some trouble. Which one the most I don't know. Perhaps Spencer knows enough and has played enough to beat Ellis out there, too.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This isn't even news, really. I think pretty much everyone, including Greg, knew that once Spencer was healthy that he was going to be taking most of Greg's playing time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2400018 said:
We don't need to cut players. We need them to execute and stop the mistakes. And for the O to give the D a chance.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
some of you DO NOT GET IT....they CANNOT rush Ellis all the time...he is an OLB...he has to cover sometimes....don't you think the opposition knows that if Ellis rushes every time...then the safety HAS to pick up the TE...which means there is single coverage on the outside...if Ellis does not or cannot cover...then he NEEDS to go to the bench....and all of those sacks Ellis got last year was a product of our offense putting up insane numbers and making the other team one dimensional....then when they HAD to pass all of the time...and Ware was getting all of the attention...it allowed Ellis to go one on one and pin his ears back....well his production is down because our offense is not forcing other teams to pass to keep up....so instead teams are just running us into the ground. Ellis needs to be a nickel pass rusher....PERIOD! Did you NOT watch the Steelers LBers last night? WE have ONE count it...ONE who could start for the Steelers...Ware! And the only other one that would get any burn would be Spencer! Ellis must play with his hand on the ground in the nickel and the dime. He should never be playing standing up. ANd he should NOT be starting.

wileedog

Reaction score
DallasEast;2400014 said:
Is it too early to start the annual suicide watch for Ellis or should we wait until he starts his usual griping about playing time, etc.?

Get your hamster jpgs ready....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rest would probably do Ellis some good.

He's looking old, worn down, and hasn't been much of a factor anyway.

Of course all of this assumes that Spencer stays healthy, which thus far he hasn't done.