DMN Blog: Breaking it down, defense

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5:15 PM Tue, Oct 07, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

WHERE'S THE PASS RUSH?: The Cowboys got two sacks Sunday and both came on the final drive when the Bengals had to get the ball down the field trailing by 9 points.

So where was the pass rush for the rest of the game?

Carson Palmer wouldn't let them rush the passer. Seventeen times he used a three-step drop or less. Twelve times he used a five-step drop. And when he hit his back foot, the ball was almost always gone.

Now, the Cowboys didn't really come after him either. I had them for rushing six defenders four times, all in the second half. Most of the time they rushed four guys (19 times) and that put DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis into coverage more.

A NEW LOOK: I asked Wade Phillips if something was wrong with Anthony Henry because he was on the sideline for most of the last drive of the second quarter. The Cowboys used rookies Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick and Adam Jones at corner, playing mostly a nickel defense look.
I found that odd to take out your starter in that situation and it didn't look like it was part of any package either. Maybe he was winded.

PRESS VS. OFF: A lot of you have asked about this and the Cowboys definitely showed more looks to Palmer.

Unofficially, of course, I had the Cowboys in press coverage on 29 plays, either across the board press or one guy playing press. And a few other times they would bail out of a press look into off just before the snap and vice versa. The corners like to be in the receiver's face so maybe this helped the corners some.

BUNCH FORMATIONS: Both of Cincinnati's touchdown came with bunch formations to the left side and Wade Phillips said the look gave them some problems.

At times it appeared the Cowboys didn't know where to go.

On the first touchdown - and we must stress that we don't know the call or the defense, all we can say is what we see - it looked like Mike Jenkins dropped too deep with Henry taking the middle and Scandrick taking the flat. That left T.J. Houshmandzadeh wide open for a little curl. By the time Jenkins responded, Houshmandzadeh was closing in on the goal line.

On the second touchdown, Henry let Houshmandzadeh run right by his face as he went out toward the tight end. There was not a defender within 6 yards of the receiver when he caught the ball.

MARCUS SPEARS: He had by far his most active game of the season. He whooped Bobbie Williams for most of the game, especially on back-to-back runs in the fourth quarter.

Williams wore down and Spears got stronger. That was a good sign. He did a nice job of shedding blockers. He also had a pass deflection.

One thing about the run defense: it still looks like the backside contain is a little slow.

HERE AND THERE: Bengals tight end Reggie Kelly had a difficult time blocking DeMarcus Ware at the point of attack consistently. We've said it so many times, but Ware's two-way play is what makes him special ... The holding call on Houshmandzadeh that negated a touchdown seemed dubious on Sunday - and Cowboys' fans wouldn't have see a hold if it was their touchdown run - but he did grab (even slightly) Scandrick. I'm not sure Scandrick would've made the tackle but ... Adam Jones is a willing tackler. He dropped Chris Perry on a check down but I wonder if he was dinged a little because he missed a sure pick on the next play ...

COWBOYS RUSH
Three-man: 1 time
Four-man: 19 times
Five-man: 18 times
Six-plus man: 4 times

SNAP DECISIONS
Base: 41 times
Single safety: 4 times
Nickel: 6 times
Dime: 18 times

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Breaking it down, defense

5:15 PM Tue, Oct 07, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer

WHERE'S THE PASS RUSH?: The Cowboys got two sacks Sunday and both came on the final drive when the Bengals had to get the ball down the field trailing by 9 points.

Carson Palmer wouldn't let them rush the passer.

Seventeen times he used a three-step drop or less.

Twelve times he used a five-step drop. And when he hit his back foot, the ball was almost always gone.

Now, the Cowboys didn't really come after him either. I had them for rushing six defenders four times, all in the second half. Most of the time they rushed four guys (19 times) and that put DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis into coverage more.

A NEW LOOK: I asked Wade Phillips if something was wrong with Anthony Henry because he was on the sideline for most of the last drive of the second quarter.

The Cowboys used rookies Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick and Adam Jones at corner, playing mostly a nickel defense look.

I found that odd to take out your starter in that situation and it didn't look like it was part of any package either. Maybe he was winded.

PRESS VS. OFF: A lot of you have asked about this and the Cowboys definitely showed more looks to Palmer.

Unofficially, of course, I had the Cowboys in press coverage on 29 plays, either across the board press or one guy playing press. And a few other times they would bail out of a press look into off just before the snap and vice versa. The corners like to be in the receiver's face so maybe this helped the corners some.

BUNCH FORMATIONS: Both of Cincinnati's touchdown came with bunch formations to the left side and Wade Phillips said the look gave them some problems.

At times it appeared the Cowboys didn't know where to go.

On the first touchdown - and we must stress that we don't know the call or the defense, all we can say is what we see - it looked like Mike Jenkins dropped too deep with Henry taking the middle and Scandrick taking the flat. That left T.J. Houshmandzadeh wide open for a little curl. By the time Jenkins responded, Houshmandzadeh was closing in on the goal line.

On the second touchdown, Henry let Houshmandzadeh run right by his face as he went out toward the tight end. There was not a defender within 6 yards of the receiver when he caught the ball.

MARCUS SPEARS: He had by far his most active game of the season. He whooped Bobbie Williams for most of the game, especially on back-to-back runs in the fourth quarter.

Williams wore down and Spears got stronger. That was a good sign. He did a nice job of shedding blockers. He also had a pass deflection.

One thing about the run defense: it still looks like the backside contain is a little slow.

HERE AND THERE: Bengals tight end Reggie Kelly had a difficult time blocking DeMarcus Ware at the point of attack consistently. We've said it so many times, but Ware's two-way play is what makes him special ... The holding call on Houshmandzadeh that negated a touchdown seemed dubious on Sunday - and Cowboys' fans wouldn't have see a hold if it was their touchdown run - but he did grab (even slightly) Scandrick. I'm not sure Scandrick would've made the tackle but ... Adam Jones is a willing tackler. He dropped Chris Perry on a check down but I wonder if he was dinged a little because he missed a sure pick on the next play ...

COWBOYS RUSH
Three-man: 1 time
Four-man: 19 times
Five-man: 18 times
Six-plus man: 4 times

SNAP DECISIONS
Base: 41 times
Single safety: 4 times
Nickel: 6 times
Dime: 18 times

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Carson Palmer wouldn't let them rush the passer. Seventeen times he used a three-step drop or less.

Now, the Cowboys didn't really come after him either. Most of the time they rushed four guys (19 times) and that put DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis into coverage more.
Both of those (3-step drop and dropping OLB into coverage) directly led to Ellis' INT.

Palmer was so close to the line, that with the linemen exteding their arms, the TE couldn't see Palmer. Ellis was there waiting for the gift pick.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2317192 said:
A NEW LOOK: I asked Wade Phillips if something was wrong with Anthony Henry because he was on the sideline for most of the last drive of the second quarter. The Cowboys used rookies Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick and Adam Jones at corner, playing mostly a nickel defense look.
You asked Wade? So what was his answer?

ddh33

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in long enough to say thanks to Todd Archer for this. These are things I want to hear and read about.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Scandrick was definately held, but Dallas is fortunate they called it. Just look at Scandrick's body on the play. Perhaps, that correct call makes up for the play where Hamlin had tuned into the receiver and was zeroing in on an interception, but the receiver clearly interfered with him by mugging him. That should have been a 15 yard penalty on them.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Getting Scandrick and Jenkins more reps in the base defense is necessary with Newman persistently injured and Henry really showing his age.

If we're not going to let Henry press and get physical with receivers, he is useless now that he is not quick enough to play off WRs. Ultimately his best role on the team may be as a nickel safety who covers receiving TEs.

khiladi

Reaction score
Cbz40;2317260 said:

Obviously... TJ was wide-open... They should have went man in that situation...

The Cowboys got two sacks Sunday and both came on the final drive when the Bengals had to get the ball down the field trailing by 9 points.

Hmm.. Haven't I been saying this all along. OUr defense only gets to the QBs when they are forced into passing the ball downfield. We only really stopped Philly when they were behind in the last few minutes and had to go upfield quickly. Otherwise, the offensive philosophy of opposing offense is to run quick-drops and short passes against this defense, taking long drives. That is why we never get to the QB. The only way your going to be able to defend is if you have your CBs playing more press coverage or playing a lot closer to their man in zone.

Carson Palmer wouldn't let them rush the passer.

Seventeen times he used a three-step drop or less.

Twelve times he used a five-step drop. And when he hit his back foot, the ball was almost always gone.

But, but... I thought our pass rush was up there, and Wade was making an effort to rush the passer...