DMN Blog: Cowboys-Giants: Four keys to Sunday's game

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12:00 PM Sat, Dec 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

1. Bounce back game for No. 9
Tony Romo must've had an interesting week. He felt bad about overthrowing Jason Witten for a game-changing interception against the Steelers. Then, Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams met with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. They believe Romo throws to Witten, his best friend, perhaps too much. Romo can't worry about that. In four games against the Giants, he's had mixed results: .622 completion percentage, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions. "I think I've played poorly in the past before, so hopefully I'll be able to bounce back and take a look at some of the things I did," Romo said.

2. Stuff the Giants on the ground
Cowboys coach Wade Phillips finally admitted that he's been calling the defensive plays since he became more involved with the game plan six weeks ago. For whatever reason, the defense has steadily improved over that time. The Cowboys played one of their best defensive games against the Steelers. This week, the Giants come in sporting the league's No. 1 rushing offense. However, Brandon Jacobs (1,002 yards, 12 touchdowns) has been ruled out with a knee injury. Derrick Ward has rushed for a career-high 669 yards and scored twice. Stuffing the Giants at the line of scrimmage is key. Make Eli Manning beat you with his arm.

3. Is Marion Barber healthy?
The Cowboys had 14 players on their injury report on Wednesday, an unusually high number even for this late in the season. Six players are already on injured reserve, and Adam Jones (neck) is headed there soon. One player needs to bounce back from injury -- Marion Barber. Owner Jerry Jones touched off a sizeable brushfire with his comments after the Pittsburgh loss. Barber claimed he didn't hear Jones' comments, but you can be sure he knew about them. If Barber can't play again this week, Tashard Choice proved himself against the Steelers. Choice ran for 88 yards, the most the Steelers had allowed all season.

4. Step back and look at the big picture
From a big picture standpoint, the Cowboys simply need this game more than the Giants do. Tom Coughlin's team spent the last week dealing with the Plaxico Burress distraction. Then, the Giants turned around and loss to the Eagles. They still clinched the NFC East title because the Cowboys lost to the Steelers. New York must keep winning to wrap up home-field advantage. The Cowboys would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, but they can't rest one second. Wade Phillips' team still controls its own destiny, and a loss would damage the team's playoff hopes. This isn't the time for a letdown.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2486977 said:
12:00 PM Sat, Dec 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

1. Bounce back game for No. 9
Tony Romo must've had an interesting week. He felt bad about overthrowing Jason Witten for a game-changing interception against the Steelers. Then, Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams met with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. They believe Romo throws to Witten, his best friend, perhaps too much. Romo can't worry about that. In four games against the Giants, he's had mixed results: .622 completion percentage, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions. "I think I've played poorly in the past before, so hopefully I'll be able to bounce back and take a look at some of the things I did," Romo said.

2. Stuff the Giants on the ground
Cowboys coach Wade Phillips finally admitted that he's been calling the defensive plays since he became more involved with the game plan six weeks ago. For whatever reason, the defense has steadily improved over that time. The Cowboys played one of their best defensive games against the Steelers. This week, the Giants come in sporting the league's No. 1 rushing offense. However, Brandon Jacobs (1,002 yards, 12 touchdowns) has been ruled out with a knee injury. Derrick Ward has rushed for a career-high 669 yards and scored twice. Stuffing the Giants at the line of scrimmage is key. Make Eli Manning beat you with his arm.

3. Is Marion Barber healthy?
The Cowboys had 14 players on their injury report on Wednesday, an unusually high number even for this late in the season. Six players are already on injured reserve, and Adam Jones (neck) is headed there soon. One player needs to bounce back from injury -- Marion Barber. Owner Jerry Jones touched off a sizeable brushfire with his comments after the Pittsburgh loss. Barber claimed he didn't hear Jones' comments, but you can be sure he knew about them. If Barber can't play again this week, Tashard Choice proved himself against the Steelers. Choice ran for 88 yards, the most the Steelers had allowed all season.

4. Step back and look at the big picture
From a big picture standpoint, the Cowboys simply need this game more than the Giants do. Tom Coughlin's team spent the last week dealing with the Plaxico Burress distraction. Then, the Giants turned around and loss to the Eagles. They still clinched the NFC East title because the Cowboys lost to the Steelers. New York must keep winning to wrap up home-field advantage. The Cowboys would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, but they can't rest one second. Wade Phillips' team still controls its own destiny, and a loss would damage the team's playoff hopes. This isn't the time for a letdown.

Wow! Football talk! God Bless!

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
The Four Keys to Sundays Game; Romo , T.o. , Witten, and MBIII:starspin