WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DeMarcus Ware isn't dominating like he can

2:30 PM Mon, Oct 06, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Don't be fooled by his five sacks in five games, a few of which have come during garbage time. DeMarcus Ware isn't pleased with his play this season.

"I ain't even thinking about that, man," Ware said when asked about his streak of eight straight games with a sack. "I need to get more pressure on the quarterback."

Every team the Cowboys play tweaks its blocking scheme to account for Ware. Sometimes it's with a running back chipping him or a tight end staying in to help against him. The Bengals opted to slide the offensive line his way in pass protection, essentially forcing him to rely exclusively on his outside move.

Ware won't use the extra attention as an excuse. The NFL's most dominant pass rushers get to the quarterback no matter what, and that's the standard he's holding himself to.

"I've just got to find a way to get there," he said.

Comments (6) Leave comment | E-mail entry

AbeBeta

Reaction score
true.

but it doesn't help that Ellis is not really providing a push on the other side and that Spencer isn't doing much of anything. Those guys get going and Ware will crank it up.

I don't however buy the "garbage time" bit - a guy who plays every defensive snap should get credit for doing so well late in games.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2313878 said:
true.

but it doesn't help that Ellis is not really providing a push on the other side and that Spencer isn't doing much of anything. Those guys get going and Ware will crank it up.

I don't however buy the "garbage time" bit - a guy who plays every defensive snap should get credit for doing so well late in games.

I agree on the garbage sack. Him getting that sack was big. It helped shut down that last drive.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I agree.....he is great....but he has not been like Dwight Freeny was when he was terrorizing the league a couple of years ago. But because he is a Dallas Cowboy..because he has been to multiple Pro Bowls...because he is the best pass rusher we have....Jerry will probably make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL..

I bet every other owner in the NFL loves when the fans put scores of Cowboys in the Pro Bowl...it means Jerry has to open his wallet, and thus big cap hits for guys who are "just a guy"

We have 2 REAL difference makers on this defense: Ware and Ratliff. We are paying many other players on this defense top dollar because of popularity and Pro Bowls

And it is not just players. Jerry has pretty much made his bed with Jason Garrett. Reagardless of what Wade does this year Jason will probably get the job. And as I look at this offense...it completely tanked when TO got hurt last year. And it has failed to get TO involved on a consisten basis this year....plus no other WR has emerged to be a consistent threat. So I am scratching my head wondering why Garrett is being labled as a genuis. Put it to you like this...what the Giants did Sunday without Burress....we would not come close to doing that.

Jerry is so prone to hyperbole...and it often hurts the team. Even if his intentions are good. The players and coaches need to prove that they are capable of handling the pressure of being a Dallas Cowboys before Jerry keeps opening the vault and shelling out wads of cash.

Did anyone see what the Commanders defense did to Philly this past Sunday? What are we doing on defense and why can't we have those types of performances?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2313878 said:
true.

agreed.. not to mention that he has a ton of pressures and near-sacks.. his sack count could really be about 10 at this point..

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
See now thats great attitude! Looking at his numbers people will say that he's had a dominating season and Ware could just go with it but no he knows that he can still have an even bigger impact and he wants to get better despite already being really good! Gotta love Ware!

khiladi

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2313878 said:
true.

Spencer just came off a knee injury and hasn't been playing much. Last game was where he saw more than the limited action...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2313891 said:
I agree on the garbage sack. Him getting that sack was big. It helped shut down that last drive.

I thought so but it seems according to some, Canty's sack against the Commanders early is more important than Ware's late. I don't agree.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I love Ware, but it might help if he learned to anything other than just speed rush around the end.

Also, the OT and TE or RB are always supposedly blocking Ware, but sometimes he's blocked all alone by the OT. The bottom line, in my mind, is this:

That leaves the C on Ratliff, possibly with help from an OG and the other OT on one of the DE's and the final OG alone on our other DE. Obviously, both of our DE's suck so badly that neither of them can beat the OG man on man and get to the QB on Ware's side...that's pathetic.

Ware needs more diversity in his repertoire, but the DE's have to be able to win a battle against an OG a few times a game, right?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Plumfool;2313770 said:
Good attitude

I wish the whole team shared that attitude.

Yeagermeister;2313774 said:
It doesn't help the refs are watching him like a hawk on the snap.

Not true. If the refs were watching him that closely, they'd not call him offsides so often cuz they'd clearly see he isn't offsides most of the times that they do call it.

sk0aL

Reaction score
I'm really liking the attitude being showed by all of our defensive players after yesterday's game.

Tank forced a fumble that won the game for us, and still said he played horrible and needs to improve. Now this from Ware really pleases me. It shows determination and a desire to improve, which is exactly what this defense needs.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2313878 said:
true.

I've been reading Ellis and Spencer are being used alot more in coverage which reduces their pass rushing opportunities..

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I've never understood devaluing sacks based upon situational play. That was a coverage sack, nevermind that if the DE doesn't get to the QB he will usually beat coverage. That was a garbage time sack, nevermind that teams have found ways to come back from large deficits with the game 'over'. That was a free run at the QB, nevermind that QBs sidestep or break out of the grasp all the time.

Watching the games, I am more frustrated with the rest of the front 7 who should be taking advantage of the extra attention paid to Ware.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2313931 said:
I've been reading Ellis and Spencer are being used alot more in coverage which reduces their pass rushing opportunities..

I expect that is b/c we are a little in love with the CB and ILB blitzes right now.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2313952 said:
I expect that is b/c we are a little in love with the CB and ILB blitzes right now.

I think it's helped with our defending TE's but it's hurt Ware's performance.

I'm more concerned with the players not wrapping up the QB when they get to him than I am our overall pass rush. Although the pass rush was pretty horrible yesterday. And it hasn't been as consistent as I'd like it this season, but it's still solid.

cowboyz

Reaction score
ware isn't freeney because he doesn't just pass rush. ware stops the run and goes into pass protection.

freeney pass rushes the entire game, even if it's a running play. freeney is still a better pass rusher. but i'd still rather have ware.

ware is one of the few defensive players deserving of his accolades

vlad

Reaction score
bbailey423;2313899 said:
I agree.....he is great....but he has not been like Dwight Freeny was when he was terrorizing the league a couple of years ago. But because he is a Dallas Cowboy..because he has been to multiple Pro Bowls...because he is the best pass rusher we have....Jerry will probably make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL..

I bet every other owner in the NFL loves when the fans put scores of Cowboys in the Pro Bowl...it means Jerry has to open his wallet, and thus big cap hits for guys who are "just a guy"

We have 2 REAL difference makers on this defense: Ware and Ratliff. We are paying many other players on this defense top dollar because of popularity and Pro Bowls

And it is not just players. Jerry has pretty much made his bed with Jason Garrett. Reagardless of what Wade does this year Jason will probably get the job. And as I look at this offense...it completely tanked when TO got hurt last year. And it has failed to get TO involved on a consisten basis this year....plus no other WR has emerged to be a consistent threat. So I am scratching my head wondering why Garrett is being labled as a genuis. Put it to you like this...what the Giants did Sunday without Burress....we would not come close to doing that.

Jerry is so prone to hyperbole...and it often hurts the team. Even if his intentions are good. The players and coaches need to prove that they are capable of handling the pressure of being a Dallas Cowboys before Jerry keeps opening the vault and shelling out wads of cash.

Did anyone see what the Commanders defense did to Philly this past Sunday? What are we doing on defense and why can't we have those types of performances?

I've been saying that about Garrett for a while. I wondered if it was Sparano that was actually the guy making it happen. You have to remember the year before Garret got here our offense was looking very strong. Looking at Miami now, they are playing some creative ball.

I still don't know why we have to run TO on 15 yard patterns every time. What happened with moving him around the line in motion and running west-coast drag/slants?

Watching the NY team, they are just mean and nasty and play with passion and fire. I feel like they are a street team whereas we are a country club team. We need some attitude!