DMN Blog: Fred Smoot: 'We exposed them'...T.O. Responds

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Chief;2414413 said:
I miss that, too.

The dislike between the Cowboys and Commanders used to be amazing.

George Allen sending spies to Cowboys practice.

Diron Talbert talking trash.

Clint Longley's "triumph of the uncluttered mind."

Harvey Martin tossing funeral wreaths.

Tony Hill's one-handed catch.

Roger's last regular-season game.

Cowboy fans serenading Theismann on his birthday (amidst a multiple-interception game).

Troy going deep to Rocket in OT.

There was that game in the 80's where Too Tall and someone got into a brawl at the end of the game.

But, all that is in the past, not just here, but in the entire NFL. They hug each other after plays. Hang out with one another in the offseason. It's all about the money now.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
true, the Commanders corners mugged the cowboys wrs constantly past 5 yards past the line of scrimmage; and the refs let them get away with it,

maybe this time the Commanders corners cant get away with mugging the cowboys wrs,

Reaction score
Dallas has some proving to do... They must show the rest of the NFL that they will not be a doormat the remaining seven games!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep, its hard when you lose, but harder when the refs blow calls or dont make them when they should have

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2414391 said:
And I know tons of fans always say "Well they're just obsessed with us. We're their Superbowl" and I know all that is true but you know what...I really wouldn't mind, at all, if our team started to hate them the same way. I wish our team would go back to the ways of just absolutely hating them and wanting to beat them as bad as they can every time they play.

I know, from what I've read anyway, that we loved beating them in the seventies and I know wasn't there some story about how Emmitt after meeting Danny Boy, and not liking him for whatever reason (Or maybe it was something Danny said I can't remember now, that Emmitt told him that the Commanders were NEVER going to beat Dallas while Emmitt played for them. And then the Cowboys went out there and kept the Commanders from beating them for something like 8 or 10 games?

I want that kind of passion back against them and all NFC East teams, really.
Free agency has killed the heated rivalries of the past! Too many players change teams and plenty end up playing for rival squads so I think the hatred that used to fester back in the day never materializes.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Smoot? Fred Smoot. LOL. he is the last person to talk any type of smack.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2414391 said:
And I know tons of fans always say "Well they're just obsessed with us. We're their Superbowl" and I know all that is true but you know what...I really wouldn't mind, at all, if our team started to hate them the same way. I wish our team would go back to the ways of just absolutely hating them and wanting to beat them as bad as they can every time they play.

I know, from what I've read anyway, that we loved beating them in the seventies and I know wasn't there some story about how Emmitt after meeting Danny Boy, and not liking him for whatever reason (Or maybe it was something Danny said I can't remember now, that Emmitt told him that the Commanders were NEVER going to beat Dallas while Emmitt played for them. And then the Cowboys went out there and kept the Commanders from beating them for something like 8 or 10 games?

I want that kind of passion back against them and all NFC East teams, really.
therein lies the real problem...we don't view them the same way they view us anymore. It could be because we beat them so much. But they have now beat us 5 out of the last 7. And we better start taking it personal again. We have moved our hate to the Giants...well in order for our games against the Giants to have any real meaning....we have to dispose of the SKins. Starting this Sunday!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
StylisticS;2414539 said:
Smoot? Fred Smoot. LOL. he is the last person to talk any type of smack.

No kidding. One Rep sucks. Only Washington fans don't realize it.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;2414536 said:
Free agency has killed the heated rivalries of the past! Too many players change teams and plenty end up playing for rival squads so I think the hatred that used to fester back in the day never materializes.

And that is an excellent point. Free Agency has probably played a very large roll in killing off the hatred in these rivalries that used to be there.

bbailey423;2414561 said:
therein lies the real problem...we don't view them the same way they view us anymore. It could be because we beat them so much. But they have now beat us 5 out of the last 7. And we better start taking it personal again. We have moved our hate to the Giants...well in order for our games against the Giants to have any real meaning....we have to dispose of the SKins. Starting this Sunday!

I agree...to an extent. The problem is that even the transfered hate, that you speak of, isn't even the same level of hatred that I'm talking about. When we play these teams (Eagles, Giants, and Skins) it ALWAYS seems like they're actually fired up to beat a hated rival. That they want to kill the Dallas Cowboys. Meanwhile we always seem like we're in 'just another game'.

It's not just another game, IMO, when it comes to division rivals. I think you've got to take it like they're the most important games of your lives that are not playoff/Superbowl games.

I remember when I played in school, and I know that this isn't nearly the same level or anything like that, that we had a team or two, every year, that we got up for more than any other game on our regular season schedule and it never had a thing to do with trash talk, records on the year, who beat who last, or the most times recently, we just got up to play them EVERY TIME cause you wanted to beat them BADLY every time you played them.

Those games were absolutely the most fun, and exciting games, every year as well.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I've been saying they exposed us and so far it's true. hopefully we figured out a way to fix those problems. but if anybody watched that Smoot video with him talking about "half of DC is Dallas fans and half of Dallas is Commander fans". I was at the 1st Dallas game and their was very few Commander fans there that day.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
TO actually just said recently how Green Bay had been the one's to "expose" him personally. As in the blueprint how to cover him and take him out of games happen there. So, yea, I guess he wouldn't think Washington did it.

1fisher

Reaction score
Chief;2414413 said:
I miss that, too.

The dislike between the Cowboys and Commanders used to be amazing.

George Allen sending spies to Cowboys practice.

Diron Talbert talking trash.

Clint Longley's "triumph of the uncluttered mind."

Harvey Martin tossing funeral wreaths.

Tony Hill's one-handed catch.

Roger's last regular-season game.

Cowboy fans serenading Theismann on his birthday (amidst a multiple-interception game).

Troy going deep to Rocket in OT.

How about Troy Hambrick and his "Dookie-Stick"

:lmao2:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2414703 said:
TO actually just said recently how Green Bay had been the one's to "expose" him personally. As in the blueprint how to cover him and take him out of games happen there. So, yea, I guess he wouldn't think Washington did it.
yeah but Washington did it right and won the game.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2414351 said:
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/11/fred-smoot-we-exposed-them.html
T.O. shoots down Fred Smoot's comment about Commanders exposing Cowboys

12:58 PM Wed, Nov 12, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Washington CB Fred Smoot thinks the Commanders exposed the Cowboys in September. T.O. disagrees despite the fact that the Cowboys have lost four of the last six games.

"I wouldn't say they exposed us," T.O. said. "We just didn't play well. If you look at the situation and the score, we lost by two points. I think there were some opportunities that we missed. If that's the case, I can say we exposed them the last time we played them, when I scored four touchdowns.

"It is what it is. We're really not worried about what somebody else says. If he needs to say that to get himself hyped for this game, then so be it. We'll be ready."

Considering Smoot's experience on the infamous Love Boat in Minnesota, he probably ought to refrain from using the word "exposed" in public.

Comments (5) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Yea, Timmy Mac doesn't read this board at all....*cough*

RoadRunner

Reaction score
TX_Yid;2414370 said:
Man, I can't wait for Romo to start firing off pass after pass to TO/Witten/Roy

This offense SHOULD be an absolute monster.

Gonna need the oline to actually start blocking before any of that happens.

CarlAllDay

Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2414376 said:
since when did Smoot get the right to talk smack. I thought you had to do something first.:confused:

well they do allow crayton to talk trash so i guess those requirements went out the window a while ago, dont forget that half of the giants team talks trash every other week

Primetime42

Reaction score
Fred Smoot is their Patrick Crayton.

If I could have Antonio Bryant for one game, it'd be this one.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Rampage;2414724 said:
yeah but Washington did it right and won the game.

True. But TO didn't do much in that GB game himself. So he may be telling the truth.

alancdc

Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2414376 said:
since when did Smoot get the right to talk smack. I thought you had to do something first.:confused:

I thought he retired after Steve Smith went for about 225 on him at Carolina a couple years back?