DMN Blog: Has Orlando Scandrick been the Cowboys' best rookie?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12:32 PM Fri, Nov 07, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

In putting together a package on the rookies, I got to wondering this very idea.

Think about it. Yes, Felix Jones had a phenomenal start -- and then he suffered the torn hamstring against Arizona. That injury caused Jones to miss three games. He's supposed to return against Washington. But with that injury, I'd have to put him just behind fifth-round pick Orlando Scandrick in a ranking of Cowboys' rookies.

1. Orlando Scandrick: He's played great as the slot corner ever since Terence Newman went down. The guy flies around the field and isn't afraid to hit people.

2. Felix Jones: The 98-yard kickoff return was dazzling enough. Then, a 60-yard scamper against Green Bay was pretty good, too. His hamstring injury is the only reason to keep him from being No. 1 on this list.

3. Martellus Bennett: Considering that we thought he was sort of nutty, Bennett has really grown up. He's been solid on special teams and done what's been asked as Jason Witten's backup.

4. Mike Jenkins: Let's put aside the whole non-tackling issue for a moment. Has he played like you'd expect a first-round corner to play? No. Donnie Avery should have caught possibly two touchdowns on him in St. Louis. Had Eli Manning made the right throw, Plaxico Burress may have gone for a long touchdown. Instead, a bad throw resulted in a pick-six.

5. Tashard Choice: Like Bennett, Choice has done all he's been asked to do. He plays on special teams and has shown some wiggle with his limited chances on offense. Tough to get noticed playing behind Marion Barber and Felix Jones.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yes, but only because of the Felix injury obviously.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Rookie corners get beat. The best veteran corners get beat sometimes, too.

Jenkins has, at times, shown the immense talent that he has. I'm not overly worried that he isn't going to pan out.

This whole rookie class has been one of the few bright spots for the season thusfar.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Probably so, for now anyway. It is very close though...more of an eye-of-the-beholder thing.
Scandrick is an example of a guy who stood out in camp and proved to be no fluke.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2406984 said:
Rookie corners get beat. The best veteran corners get beat sometimes, too.

Jenkins has, at times, shown the immense talent that he has. I'm not overly worried that he isn't going to pan out.

This whole rookie class has been one of the few bright spots for the season thusfar.

It's not that he's getting beat, it's that he's making dumb decisions or forgetting/abaonding his responsibilities. He's got work to do.

ddh33

Reaction score
The good news is that they've all been pretty solid. Jenkins is going to have to live down that infamous tackle that wasn't, but as long as that was a rookie mistake and not something else, it's not that big of a deal.

Felix looks special.

Scandrick also has something about him that I really like.

Bennett is oozing with potential.

Tashard hasn't gotten much of a chance, but he does everything that's asked.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think he's been the best thus far due to the injury to Felix but him being the second best rookie, on this team, and playing better and better every week is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Although he got hurt....I would still put Uncle Felix in 1st place....without his early perfomances......we might not be 5-4.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2407201 said:
Although he got hurt....I would still put Uncle Felix in 1st place....without his early perfomances......we might not be 5-4.
I agree. Felix has been our best rookie hands down.

Rudy

Reaction score
Very true.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So true. The Cincy game comes to mind. Without that Felix TD we might have lost that one. He has a way of deflating the opposition.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
it isn't even close. felix jones. even if he didn't play another game, he would still probably be the best.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This is a special group IMO. Any one of them could prove long term special and pull away from the rest. Bennett may be the most talented at his position. Jenkins should have more upside than Scandrick but I'm terribly pleased with Scandrick and I've been saying all along he's playing well. I hope Choice doesn't get a chance to play much soon but he could do well. Jones is an extraordinary talent. I don't think teams are going to catch up to him soon. I'd love to have Jones on the field with MB. May prove to be our own Mr. Inside Mr. Outside. They hit a home run with this draft.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
the more points you score the better your chance of winning. So far Felix Jones has contributed 21 points. Look no furhter than that when evaluating which rookie is the most productive. And considering Felix Jones has those 21 points and has played in only 3 full games, that translated to a 7-point a game average, which puts him leaps and bounds ahead of all other rookies. Case closed!

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Please. Mike Jenkins read a three step drop, and he knew the ball was coming out. He read Manning and picked him for six points. You can try to diminish his play all you want, but it will not work. Mike Jenkins made several plays in that game and in the Tampa Bay game. He made a great hit on 3rd and 1 and forced a punt in the Giants game, and he had great coverage on a very deep ball and on another play. They have hit some crossing routes on him, but he is still learning. Jenkins is playing very well next to the sideline. If Phillips is smart, he will start him over Henry.

Mike Jenkins is a bigger, faster, and stronger version of Asante Samuel, and he is getting better every game.

The only one getting exposed is you.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
41gy#;2407487 said:
Please. Mike Jenkins read a three step drop, and he knew the ball was coming out. He read Manning and picked him for six points. You can try to diminish his play all you want, but it will not work. Mike Jenkins made several plays in that game and in the Tampa Bay game. He made a great hit on 3rd and 1 and forced a punt in the Giants game, and he had great coverage on a very deep ball and on another play. They have hit some crossing routes on him, but he is still learning. Jenkins is playing very well next to the sideline. If Phillips is smart, he will start him over Henry.

Mike Jenkins is a bigger, faster, and stronger version of Asante Samuel, and he is getting better every game.

The only one getting exposed is you.

Maybe. I thought he read the QBs eyes. But with more time and a better look by Eli, the Giants get a huge play with him jumping that route. It worked out and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he made a big play. But with the first replay I started thinking we were lucky the Giants didn't perform that play.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
jobberone;2407491 said:
Maybe. I thought he read the QBs eyes. But with more time and a better look by Eli, the Giants get a huge play with him jumping that route. It worked out and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he made a big play. But with the first replay I started thinking we were lucky the Giants didn't perform that play.

Jobberone,

Jenkins isn't being given credit, from this reporter, for jumping a route just like I have seen Asante Samuel do to Peyton Manning in the playoffs. It was almost identical to a pick Samuel got on the other Manning. Jenkins read the 3 step drop. That comes from coaching and film work. Manning wanted the ball out, and I have a hard time believing Manning was at fault.

This guy brings up a couple of mistakes in the Rams game where he was a little fortunate, and then, he ignores the Tampa Bay game where Jenkins, Scandrick, Ball and Brown all played great games. That was one of the biggest games of the year. You don't win that game without some great coverage. Plus, he kept Greg Jennings out of the endzone. He has played well in the dime before he wasn't starting.

Have teams been picking on Mike Jenkins? No. This guy is a great north and south player, just like Samuel. He closes on the ball very fast. He is big, strong, and fast. This was just the first of many more picks to come for this player if he stays healthy. The guy runs a 4.38 and can play any way you ask him to play. He has very long arms, too. I studied him for the draft and watched some South Florida games. He picked six Auburn and helped beat them. His play was no fluke against the Giants.

He is very good next to those sidelines, just like Samuel. He isn't a slot player like Scandrick, but he can break on a ball like a cat and cover you up deep, especially on the sidelines. Teams have had some success on the crossing routes, but he will learn to cover those with more experience. He is just a rookie, and he is getting better and better with each game. He is going to make some mistakes. He is a rookie, but I would take Jenkins over any cornerback in this draft. Some won't like that, but I would.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
41gy#;2407515 said:
Jobberone,

Jenkins isn't being given credit, from this reporter, for jumping a route just like I have seen Asante Samuel do to Peyton Manning in the playoffs. It was almost identical to a pick Samuel got on the other Manning. Jenkins read the 3 step drop. That comes from coaching and film work. Manning wanted the ball out, and I have a hard time believing Manning was at fault.

This guy brings up a couple of mistakes in the Rams game where he was a little fortunate, and then, he ignores the Tampa Bay game where Jenkins, Scandrick, Ball and Brown all played great games. That was one of the biggest games of the year. You don't win that game without some great coverage. Plus, he kept Greg Jennings out of the endzone. He has played well in the dime before he wasn't starting.

Have teams been picking on Mike Jenkins? No. This guy is a great north and south player, just like Samuel. He closes on the ball very fast. He is big, strong, and fast. This was just the first of many more picks to come for this player if he stays healthy. The guy runs a 4.38 and can play any way you ask him to play. He has very long arms, too. I studied him for the draft and watched some South Florida games. He picked six Auburn and helped beat them. His play was no fluke against the Giants.

He is very good next to those sidelines, just like Samuel. He isn't a slot player like Scandrick, but he can break on a ball like a cat and cover you up deep, especially on the sidelines. Teams have had some success on the crossing routes, but he will learn to cover those with more experience. He is just a rookie, and he is getting better and better with each game. He is going to make some mistakes. He is a rookie, but I would take Jenkins over any cornerback in this draft. Some won't like that, but I would.

I suspect he's been targeted but both rookies have done well. I don't see Jenkins as a liability but a future strength and he's contributing now. I agree with you 100%. But if Eli takes his time on that throw it's a big gain. I don't know whether Plaxico or Manning made the mistake at first.

And no matter what I give Jenkins credit for reading the QBs eyes. My point is Eli could have made a huge play because Jenkins read the QB the whole way. If he does that too often he will start getting burned. Badly. I'll bet you that was pointed out in the film room and he was told to not let his man go. He may have been expecting help over the top, too. If so then he didn't make any mistake on that play. There wasn't help over there though so someone just let him trot down the field.

It still shows off his athleticism and his ability to read and close. Not trying to diminish his accomplishment. Just point out it wasn't all flowers and roses.