DMN Blog: John Madden likes the Eagles; Cowboys fans should root for the Giants

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
John Madden likes the Eagles; Cowboys fans should root for the Giants

6:00 AM Sat, Nov 08, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

The Cowboys are off this weekend but Sunday night's Giants-Eagles game on NBC looms large.

I'm looking at a statement NBC dropped in my inbox a few days ago and I think John Madden is picking the Eagles. "When the Giants have to go to Philadelphia to play the Eagles something big is going to happen," he said. "Something tough is going to happen. I believe in the Eagles."

I'm not sure, however, if an Eagles victory is in the best interest of the Cowboys. If the Eagles win, they'll be 6-3 like the idle Commanders. The Giants would drop to 7-2. But they would still be two games ahead of the 5-4 Cowboys. Are the Cowboys going to catch the Giants and win the division?

If the Giants win, they'll be 8-1 and almost out of sight. Shouldn't the Cowboys hope the Giants beat the Eagles in Philly and Commanders in Washington during in the second half and win the division going away? Of course, a Giants loss in Dallas wouldn't hurt. A wildcard berth just seems so much more realistic.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (24) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

catskillthunder

Reaction score
I find it so hard rooting for the Giants in any capacity. I live in NY where just about every football fan is a Giants fan except ME! Im so sick of hearing about how they owned us and blah, blah, blah. There is not one professional sports team in existence that I hate more then the Giants. So how am I supposed to root for them? /puke

30yrheel

Reaction score
i can't pull for the eagles, unless they're playing the skins. the philly fans are worse than ny, or any other.

catskillthunder

Reaction score
30yrheel;2408863 said:
i can't pull for the eagles, unless they're playing the skins. the philly fans are worse than ny, or any other.

If you lived in NY like I do, you'd change your opinion pretty fast. I honestly believe the Giants have the most bandwagon fans ever!

khiladi

Reaction score
Dallas needs to take care of their own destiny...

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
catskillthunder;2408862 said:
I find it so hard rooting for the Giants in any capacity. I live in NY where just about every football fan is a Giants fan except ME! Im so sick of hearing about how they owned us and blah, blah, blah. There is not one professional sports team in existence that I hate more then the Giants. So how am I supposed to root for them? /puke

Depends on your view of the Cowboys.

If you think we are at best a 10-6 team, you root for the giants to beat the eagles and Commanders in the next few weeks conceding the division to them.

We may need the eagles and skins to loose these games to finish 10-6 or worse.

If you believe in this team going 11-5 or even 12-4, you're still in the division race. You want the Cowboys in a position where they control their own destiny. The eagles and Commanders giving the Giants their 2nd and 3rd loss could put us in that position.

Lets make a few assumtions:
Eagles beat giants this week, eagles 6-3, giants 7-2
Cowboys beat the Commanders next week, dallas 6-4, Commanders 6-4

After the next four weeks the division could look like this:
Giants 9-3, eagles 8-4, cowboys 8-4, Commanders 7-5

This is what you want with Cowboy games to be played in the last four weeks against the giants and eagles.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
gal_backpage_1109.jpg

Can we start by humbling the cocky NY tabloids?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
So we want eagles to lose?

What about saints/falcons? Minnesota/green bay?

My guess is green bay (4-4) over minnesota (4-4) so pack will be 5-4 but he still have tie breaker.
For Saints (4-4) and falcons (5-3) we need saints to win to improve the bucks lead in their division.

Ren

Reaction score
I really don't care who wins this game if the cowboys don't get their stuff together it's not going to matter.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2408913 said:
I WILL NOT pull for the beagles.....EVER!

what if u need the eagles to win so the Cowboys can make the playoffs, will you root for the eagles then? Or will you spin it and root for the Eagles opponent to lose instead, which is still the same thing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IMO, its a win win situation. Either team that loses benefits the Cowboys. I know some feel we can't catch the Giants and maybe so but this wouldn't be the first time they tanked during a season. They could rack up 4 or 5 losses to end the season. Eagles losing would benefit the Cowboys right now.

I notice a lot of games are being played today that help the Cowboys. Packers and Vikings are both 4-4. Someone has to lose. Atlanta could potentially lose. Tennesse could beat Chicago though I think Chicago gets the upset. A lot of good can come out of this week for the Cowboys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So is there a chance we will get any home playoff games?

jgboys1

Reaction score
bbgun;2408887 said:
gal_backpage_1109.jpg

Can we start by humbling the cocky NY tabloids?
I will have to buy that...... So I could throw darts at it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Trying to predict the NFL is like trying to predict the Texas Lottery. The NFL never goes according to plans. Impossible to predict. I don't think the Cowboys will have any home playoff games but I wouldn''t say it set in stone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
rocyaice;2408946 said:
Trying to predict the NFL is like trying to predict the Texas Lottery. The NFL never goes according to plans. Impossible to predict. I don't think the Cowboys will have any home playoff games but I wouldn''t say it set in stone.

True.

Manning could get injured tonight and things would really get turned upside down.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2408931 said:
So is there a chance we will get any home playoff games?

Only if we win the NFC East. That would almost require a Giants loss Sunday Night. See how this works.