WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Madden to Cowboys: You can't whine about the sked
1:57 PM Tue, Dec 09, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

John Madden, who will work Sunday's Giants-Cowboys game, says it doesn't matter that the Cowboys aren't the top team in the NFL right now. "To be the best team in the 12th (13th) week of the season means nothing." He said a team simply needs to be improving and working its way into the playoffs. Yes, he remembers the Cowboys of 2008. And the Giants, too.
--------------------

John Madden will work Sunday night's Giants-Cowboys game for NBC. He and Cris Collinsworth were on a conference call earlier today to hype the game. Networks hold conference calls only before "big games" with lots of national interest. So I guess this is a "big game."

Madden made reference to the Cowboys stretch run, which included the Steelers and now the Giants, Ravens and Eagles.

"If the Cowboys can't beat these teams they don't belong in the playoffs," Madden said.

Collinsworth on playing on the road at Pittsburgh: "When they (fans) start waving those stinking towels and the momentum shifts the Steelers' way, it's hard (for the visiting team) to get your act back together." He thought he saw the Cowboys got to thinking "uh oh" and that is a "feeling that happens in Pittsburgh unlike any other stadium."

Added Madden: "A December game in that stadium, when they have a good team as they have...that's as tough a place to play as there is."

And Madden on the beauty of the NFL post-season as opposed to the BCS.
"There are no back doors, no votes, no side doors. You have to go out and play."

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Sad, but I spoke to someone who works for NBC's Sunday Night Football and he told me there's talk that Madden may step down after the SB.

He said John Robinson travels with him every week and assists him during the game. He has really struggled the last couple of years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2477122 said:

..."If the Cowboys can't beat these teams they don't belong in the playoffs," Madden said....

Have truer words been spoken? We've got a top-10 team with a legit shot, and we ***** b/c we're not top two.

The Panch

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2477150 said:
Sad, but I spoke to someone who works for NBC's Sunday Night Football and he told me there's talk that Madden may step down after the SB.

He said John Robinson travels with him every week and assists him during the game. He has really struggled the last couple of years.
I think its time too. He really brings nothing new to the game anymore. He just points out the obvious and draws penises on the TV screen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2477122 said:
Collinsworth on playing on the road at Pittsburgh: "When they (fans) start waving those stinking towels and the momentum shifts the Steelers' way, it's hard (for the visiting team) to get your act back together." He thought he saw the Cowboys got to thinking "uh oh" and that is a "feeling that happens in Pittsburgh unlike any other stadium."

Added Madden: "A December game in that stadium, when they have a good team as they have...that's as tough a place to play as there is."
The crowd and the stadium had nothing to do with Dallas losing. The field itself was a factor, but the Steeler fans have zero effect on the outcome. We just shoot ourselves in the foot too many times.
WoodysGirl;2477122 said:
"There are no back doors, no votes, no side doors. You have to go out and play."
Truer words have never been spoken. I have always been a big proponent of a playoff at that level of college football.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
The "magic" of Steelers' stadium didn't do in the Cowboys.

5 turn overs, three opportunites to put the game on ice by the offense, break downs in special teams, and one chance to win the game or get the game into over time doomed Dallas.

Dallas' sloppy play on offense and special teams lost the game, not the "magic" of Pittsburgh.

Your defense gives up 7 points and one big play, which they didn't even get any points on, and you still lose the game. Three more points, and that game is probably over.

The inability to get your kicker on the field one time out of two chances proved costly. The inability to get one more first down (3rd and 6) after the goallline stand would have run time off the clock and given the punter more room.

Dallas' offense and special teams gifted 13 points to the Steelers. That was the game.

It wasn't magic. It was the sloppy football and bad game management on offense and special teams.

I wasn't going to say anymore about it. It's over.

The game was lost in the first half on 4th and inches and 4th and 2.

That wasn't "Steeler magic". It was sloppy coaching and sloppy football.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I always like the madden saying "Don't worry that the horse is blind just load the wagon"

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
41gy#;2477360 said:
The "magic" of Steelers' stadium didn't do in the Cowboys.

5 turn overs, three opportunites to put the game on ice by the offense, break downs in special teams, and one chance to win the game or get the game into over time doomed Dallas.

Dallas' sloppy play on offense and special teams lost the game, not the "magic" of Pittsburgh.

Your defense gives up 7 points and one big play, which they didn't even get any points on, and you still lose the game. Three more points, and that game is probably over.

The inability to get your kicker on the field one time out of two chances proved costly. The inability to get one more first down (3rd and 6) after the goallline stand would have run time off the clock and given the punter more room.

Dallas' offense and special teams gifted 13 points to the Steelers. That was the game.

It wasn't magic. It was the sloppy football and bad game management on offense and special teams.

I wasn't going to say anymore about it. It's over.

The game was lost in the first half on 4th and inches and 4th and 2.

That wasn't "Steeler magic". It was sloppy coaching and sloppy football.
all true.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2477122 said:

John Madden, who will work Sunday's Giants-Cowboys game, says it doesn't matter that the Cowboys aren't the top team in the NFL right now. "To be the best team in the 12th (13th) week of the season means nothing." He said a team simply needs to be improving and working its way into the playoffs. Yes, he remembers the Cowboys of 2008. And the Giants, too.
--------------------

John Madden will work Sunday night's Giants-Cowboys game for NBC. He and Cris Collinsworth were on a conference call earlier today to hype the game. Networks hold conference calls only before "big games" with lots of national interest. So I guess this is a "big game."

Madden made reference to the Cowboys stretch run, which included the Steelers and now the Giants, Ravens and Eagles.

"If the Cowboys can't beat these teams they don't belong in the playoffs," Madden said.

Madden is the man!

twentytwo

Reaction score
The Panch;2477327 said:
I think its time too. He really brings nothing new to the game anymore. He just points out the obvious and draws penises on the TV screen.

I'll take Madden over almost any announcer we've seen in the past few years.

Jaws? Joe Buck? Bryant Gumble? Do I even have to mention Dennis Miller?

Reaction score
Just Win Baby! Who would have ever thought I'd agree with Al Davis... But it's simple, Dallas controls their own destiny when it comes to the playoffs! Go out and perform your job and things will fall in place.