DMN Blog: Marion Barber: The Silent Man (Part 1)...Aikman's Take

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1:22 PM Tue, Nov 18, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

I have always been intrigued by Marion Barber's relative silence. I was reminded of it Sunday night when there was John Madden rightfully slobbering all over Barber and NBC didn't even try for a post-game interview.

The networks have taken to avoiding even asking to talk to Barber because of his reluctance to talk. He doesn't talk on-the-record to the local media.

So I decided to do some snooping. I called three noted Cowboys obervers this morning _ Troy Aikman, Brad Sham and Eddie Werder _ to get their takes on Barber's cone of silence.

Here's Aikman's thoughts:

"Last year I wanted to talk to Marion Barber during a production meeting before a Cowboys game. Rich Dalrymple (the Cowboys PR gatekeeper) said 'OK.' Then word came back that Barber balked. He wouldn't come. But I persisted and in he came.

"He's a nice guy. He's just so shy and worried that he may say something that will come out wrong or be taken out of context. I asked him if it bothered him sharing time with Julius Jones. He didn't want to touch that. He finally said, 'No, no, I'm happy doing my thing.'

"It's kind of a shame. He is such a quality guy. I believe that if a player doesn't talk to the media that at the end of the day, it hurts the player more than it hurts the media...

"I wish he would let people see him as the mild-mannered, bright guy he is...I'll tell you this: He is one of those guys I would have loved to have played with. He's as unselfish and as good a teammates as they come."

We'll hear Sham and Werder's takes tomorrow. I have to get back to writing something for the newspaper.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Barber is the man. I have no problem with him not talking to the media. That job is for WR.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If the media was not so bad about twisting people’s words maybe guys like Barber would come out and talk more. I don't blame any player being reluctant in talking with the media they have a very good reason to be.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice words from Troy, but I don't think Barber is hurting himself at all. The mediots have gotten their little feelings hurt. Barber couldn't care less.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2428423 said:
If the media was not so bad about twisting people’s words maybe guys like Barber would come out and talk more. I don't blame any player being reluctant in talking with the media they have a very good reason to be.

Amen to that. Let him stay shy.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101;2428423 said:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Why can't a player let his talking be done on the field?

J-DOG

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2428426 said:
Nice words from Troy, but I don't think Barber is hurting himself at all. The mediots have gotten their little feelings hurt. Barber couldn't care less.
Agree.
In today's game most players are self promoting so I really see Barber's actions as genuine.
This guy loves the game of football and that is enough for him.
He doesn't want or need all the extra perks or hassles that comes with being a well-known pro football player.
Some people may think it's because he is so shy but I see it as Marion is just smarter than the average NFL player.
I like the way he is.
Cowboy fans have no problems with Marion not talking to the media.
The media....they do.
Tough!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
They think they have to be part of the story. They forget that a "medium" is just something that transmits something else. We don't care about the media through which entertainment or news travels, we just want the entertainment or news.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I really doubt that Troy is motivated in the way you say. I think he probably is thinking more in terms of Barber being able to market himself and help himself in that kind of way.

Either way, if he is happy with the money he makes, and happy with his station in life, then he is just fine not talking to anyone.

superpunk

Reaction score
I think he means that he gets less pub, less endorsement opportunities, stuff like that.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Intresting how the media seems to always think people not talking to the media hurts them more than the media, or that there's something wrong with it.

Barber plays professional football, gets paid millions a year, has a loyal following, sells merchandise, is in video games, has a good support system, and is still very young. Yeah, talking to the media is the one thing he needs to make his life complete.

1fisher

Reaction score
superpunk;2428526 said:
I think he means that he gets less pub, less endorsement opportunities, stuff like that.

He's making plenty of cheese with out the pub.

1fisher

Reaction score
TheCount;2428576 said:
Intresting how the media seems to always think people not talking to the media hurts them more than the media, or that there's something wrong with it.

Barber plays professional football, gets paid millions a year, has a loyal following, sells merchandise, is in video games, has a good support system, and is still very young. Yeah, talking to the media is the one thing he needs to make his life complete.

agreed!

your avy scares me!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I like him just the way he is.

Talking to the media is not going to improve his play or affect his game positively so why do it. He plays cause he loves the game, not the attention.

Its too bad others didnt take notes on this team.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2428422 said:
Barber is the man. I have no problem with him not talking to the media.

I wish more players wouldn't talk to the media. :)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Lots of NFL Stars should take lessons from MB, cough*owens* cough.
Some guys do their talking on the field and maybe feel that their point gets across there, not needing special attention to make their lives complete.:)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He is getting enough props to get some gigs. But using his quietness could be a marketing ploy for the right merchandise.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
He'll talk. I get the feeling though that he's just waiting to do something worth talking about, and as of yet he doesn't feel he has.

After being named Super Bowl MVP or Season MVP, I think we'll get some big exclusive interview with the Barbarian- but not before.