DMN Blog: NBC Exec on why the Cowboys weren't flexed out of Sun. game

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys-Giants: No. 1 (at least according to TV ratings)

6:09 AM Wed, Nov 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Sometimes you ask a question just to elicit a reaction. I was talking to a NBC Sports guy yesterday and dropped this on him:

"So with the Cowboys playing as poorly as they are, would you guys consider flexing them out of the Sunday Night Game against the Commanders?" In other words, would NBC, as is its right, dump its scheduled Nov.16th prime time game for another? I might as well have asked if NBC would not be showing women's gymnastics the next time a Summer Olympics comes around.

"If both teams were 1-8, we'd still love that game," the NBC guy said, only after making me repeat my question because he knew no one could possibly ask anything so stupid. So, for the record, there is no need to change your plans for Nov, 16th.

And then he pointed out that Sunday's not-so-scintillating Cowboys-Giants game is on track to be the highest-rated NFL game of the season when the final ratings are released tomorrow. It pulled the highest major-market overnight rating of the season. Yes, the same Giants 35, Cowboys 14 game Dallas fans watched in horror. Must be the old "train wreck" effect.

Here's a rundown of the Top 5 major-market overnight games of the season: See if you see which team appears most often. Then see what that team's games all have in common.*

Cowboys/Giants: 16.8
Cowboys/Cardinals: 16.1
Giants/Steelers: 15.6
Commanders/Cowboys: 15.3
Patriots/Jets: 15.2

* The Cowboys lost all three games.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Barry Horn wins the award for dumbest question of the day.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theogt;2404122 said:
Yeah.

Even when the Boys and Skins sucked in 2001, 0-4 vs 0-4 I believe, we still drew big ratings.

Our 9-7 victory wasn't exactly scintillating either.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
windward;2404129 said:
Yeah.

Even when the Boys and Skins sucked in 2001, 0-4 vs 0-4 I believe, we still drew big ratings.

Wasn't that the game that had higher ratings than the World Series game that was on at the same time on another network (Monday Night Game)?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I wish they could switch the Monday night game. who wants to see the 49ers play the Cards?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
No matter the result, Commanders vs cowboys. Think about that. Both after bye weeks. Both critical games in NFC. The history. The players. The matchups. This guy doesn't know anything about football to ask such a stupid question.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;2404122 said:

Day? That might be the dumbest question EVER, especially considering that Horn's job focuses on television.

We're 5-4, the Commanders are 6-3, and Tony Romo is likely to be coming back. Not only would NBC never flex out of that game, it probably will be the highest-rated Sunday night game of the season so far. Anyone want to bet against it?

Thomas82

Reaction score
windward;2404129 said:
Yeah.

I remember that game, it was on a Monday Night. Eric Dickerson was a sideline reporter that year for ABC, and said that Father Time had caught up with Emmitt, and Emmitt went out and had a good game. Tony Banks was the Commanders QB after we had cut him in the preseason.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Rampage;2404226 said:
I wish they could switch the Monday night game. who wants to see the 49ers play the Cards?

Too bad I have things to do that day-----I'll either have to watch paint dry or the grass grow. Sorry I'll miss it.

crazytown41

Reaction score
This is why I get a good laugh when the haters say the Cowboys AREN'T America's Team. :laugh2:

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2404269 said:
Day? That might be the dumbest question EVER, especially considering that Horn's job focuses on television.

We're 5-4, the Commanders are 6-3, and Tony Romo is likely to be coming back. Not only would NBC never flex out of that game, it probably will be the highest-rated Sunday night game of the season so far. Anyone want to bet against it?

Yeah, I'm not sure how the whole "slumping Cowboys" thing would affect whether or not a network would want our game.

We're "slumping," yet still in the thick of the playoff hunt, and a game back of Washington in the league's toughest division.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that we'll no longer be trotting Brad Johnson onto the field.

I'd *SOMEWHAT* understand asking the question if Johnson or Bollinger were expected to start. Even if it IS Cowboys, I wouldn't want to force those two clowns on anyone.

But with Romo, in what's going to be billed as a must-win game against our most heated opponent?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2404118 said:
everyone wants to see the Cowboys vs. anyone

Just imagine what the ratings would be if it was Cowboys vs Cowboys! :laugh2:

Derinyar

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they Flex us up into the 4th of December, even if we are still messing around at 500.

Cowboys vs Steelers is a marquee matchup. I'm just amazed that neither decided that should be one of the two solo highlight games on its own. Let me just say NE vs Seattle shouldn't do much for anyone.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a follow up question, Barry asked if his own name were spelled with one 'r' or two. Again, just to elicit a reaction.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2404128 said:
Wow i can't believe that guy was dumb enough to ask such a stupid question.

AdamJT13 said:

theogt said:

Did you guys miss his first sentence? :huh:

Horn said:
Sometimes you ask a question just to elicit a reaction. I was talking to a NBC Sports guy yesterday and dropped this on him:

He was asking it merely to get a response for an article.

He knew it was a dumb question. I'm assuming that that approach was better than starting an article about the Cowboys being on television without any comments from an NBC representative.

It was merely a writing device, nothing more.