DMN Blog: New-look nickel and dime packages get passing grade

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1:51 PM Tue, Dec 09, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Anthony Henry's role as a safety in the Cowboys' nickel and dime packages appears to be permanent. (Well, assuming Pacman Jones doesn't violate the NFL's parole program again.)

The idea is to put the best players on the field. After one game, it looks like a pretty good idea.

Pacman played very well on defense during his return, breaking up the only two balls Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger threw his way. Henry allowed a 23-yard catch by Nate Washington on his first snap at safety but was solid after that.

By my count, the Cowboys were in their various nickel and dime packages for 18 plays (including an offsides penalty on Greg Ellis but excluding the extra DB that cost them a 12-men-on-the-field penalty).

Seven of those plays would be considered successes for the Steelers. Roethlisberger was 7-of-14 for 113 yards against the nickel and dime packages.

Big Ben did hit complete a couple passes against the nickel that were key to the Steelers' comeback. The 47-yarder to Santonio Holmes that flipped field position was simply a case of Terence Newman biting on a pump fake. Ken Hamlin didn't close quickly enough on a 16-yard pass over the middle to Washington on the play before the Steelers' touchdown.

Those plays certainly weren't cases of the Steelers exploiting holes created by the Cowboys' personnel changes made last week. A couple of Pro Bowlers players just gave up plays.

Pacman and Henry handled their roles in the substitution packages well, which means the adjustments made during the week by Wade Phillips were good ones.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Newman fell for the same stop and go that Moss beat him on, in the first skin game.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
The defebse, as good as it is, did what it was suppose to do to a sub-par Pittsburgh offense, and that's stuff it. But the real test to see how effective these defensive wrinckles are will come in the coming weeks. Let's see how this works against the Giants.

newlander

Reaction score
I know DC: first thing I thought of when Holmes beat him was Moss. Hey, I get on TNEW ALOT more than other posters here. But he got beat badly once the last 4 games. He's really playing well. Lots of blame to go around that doesn't include him or any of his defensive teammates IMO.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
DCBoysfan;2477158 said:
Newman fell for the same stop and go that Moss beat him on, in the first skin game.

It wasn't a stop and go. Holmes just ran straight forward.

Honestly to bag Newman for that catch is rediculous. Maybe he shouldn't have peered into the backfield which let Holmes get behind him, but still. He went balls out trying to make up the ground.

The ball dropped in perfectly too. Ben couldn't have put that any better.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Newman has been playing lights out, giving up an occasional pass is no big deal. Now the injury bug strikes again with Killah and Hamlin down.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
187beatdown;2477208 said:
It wasn't a stop and go. Holmes just ran straight forward.

Honestly to bag Newman for that catch is rediculous. Maybe he shouldn't have peered into the backfield which let Holmes get behind him, but still. He went balls out trying to make up the ground.

The ball dropped in perfectly too. Ben couldn't have put that any better.

Actually, it WAS a stop-and-go.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AMERICAS_FAN;2477236 said:
Actually, it WAS a stop-and-go.

Was it? I thought Newman was looking in expecting a break for first down yardage and got caught looking. I don't remember the WR making a move.

Either way, he got beat, then made a great effort to catch back up. Happens. He's playing great, as usual.