DMN Blog: New York, New York: Bob is better than Bryant but he ain't no Brad

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6:43 AM Fri, Nov 07, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Bob Papa made his NFL Network debut last night alongside Cris Collinsworth. As a play-by-play man, the radio voice of the New York Giants is very good. Of course, it doesn't hurt to follow Bryant Gumbel, whose two years of duty was painful on the senses.

But here's my homer call of the week: Papa is no Brad Sham, who toils for the Cowboys. He doesn't have Sham's voice and last night didn't exhibit any of his style.

This is not meant to be an indictment of Papa, who I am sure will thrive alongside Collinsworth. It's the system I take issue with. It sure doesn't hurt to work in New York when the networks are looking to hire. Two come quickly to mind: ABC/ESPN's lead NBA broadcaster Mike Breen also calls Knicks games; and NBC's lead NHL voice Doc Emrick calls New Jersey Devils games. And then there are the likes of CBS' Screamin' Gus Johnson (Knicks) and Fox's Sam Rosen (Rangers).

Maybe we're better off when the networks don't take notice of our local talent, which is really good across the board. If you have a minute, I'd like to hear who you think is the best play-by-play voice in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Comments (0) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | E-mail entry

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2406606 said:
6:43 AM Fri, Nov 07, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Bob Papa made his NFL Network debut last night alongside Cris Collinsworth. As a play-by-play man, the radio voice of the New York Giants is very good. Of course, it doesn't hurt to follow Bryant Gumbel, whose two years of duty was painful on the senses.

But here's my homer call of the week: Papa is no Brad Sham, who toils for the Cowboys. He doesn't have Sham's voice and last night didn't exhibit any of his style.

This is not meant to be an indictment of Papa, who I am sure will thrive alongside Collinsworth. It's the system I take issue with. It sure doesn't hurt to work in New York when the networks are looking to hire. Two come quickly to mind: ABC/ESPN's lead NBA broadcaster Mike Breen also calls Knicks games; and NBC's lead NHL voice Doc Emrick calls New Jersey Devils games. And then there are the likes of CBS' Screamin' Gus Johnson (Knicks) and Fox's Sam Rosen (Rangers).

Maybe we're better off when the networks don't take notice of our local talent, which is really good across the board. If you have a minute, I'd like to hear who you think is the best play-by-play voice in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Comments (0) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | E-mail entry

I can't stand Bryant and anything is better than that popus jerk!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I would love to see Brad Sham get to do something like last nights game. Sham is great to listen to on the radio.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I really enjoyed all the announcers last night....thought they did a good job.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
This is gonna be sacrilege... But as smart as Brad Sham is and as much as I love his outstanding articles on DC.com, he really needs to improve at actually describing what's happening on the field.

Sometimes I'll be in the car or walking my dog and I'll hear some game on the radio, and the national play-by-play guys do a great job of describing the action during the play so that you can almost see it in your head. Brad has gotten in a bad habit of not doing that. Too often you have to wait several seconds to even find out how long a run was (for instance).

Even my dad was on the road during a game a couple of weeks ago, and he said the same thing, that it was driving him crazy that you couldn't tell what was happening by listening to our announcers.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2406606 said:
Two come quickly to mind: ABC/ESPN's lead NBA broadcaster Mike Breen also calls Knicks games

:stop:

Mike Breen is a great TV guy, but I also know he is a dirt bag that cheated on his wife.

I hate dirt bags. :loser:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2406835 said:
This is gonna be sacrilege... But as smart as Brad Sham is and as much as I love his outstanding articles on DC.com, he really needs to improve at actually describing what's happening on the field.

Sometimes I'll be in the car or walking my dog and I'll hear some game on the radio, and the national play-by-play guys do a great job of describing the action during the play so that you can almost see it in your head. Brad has gotten in a bad habit of not doing that. Too often you have to wait several seconds to even find out how long a run was (for instance).

Even my dad was on the road during a game a couple of weeks ago, and he said the same thing, that it was driving him crazy that you couldn't tell what was happening by listening to our announcers.

I know a lot of people like Brad, but I've never thought he was a great radio guy. He is boring and brings zero excitment to the game.