DMN Blog:No Felix, Betts Portis news

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
No Felix Jones at practice today

Brian Davis E-mail News tips
Unless the Cowboys have brought in a hyperbearic chamber and stuffed Felix Jones into it, we can't rightly say where he was at practice today.

Bobby Carpenter and Isaiah Stanback were working out away from teammates. That's normally where Jones has been doing stretching, light running, etc. But not today, apparently.

Wade Phillips said Jones has not been ruled out of Sunday's game. But he hasn't practiced all week, and even Jerry Jones said it's better to be cautious. So no, I don't expect to see No. 28 on the field at FedEx Field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladell Betts ready to go

David Moore E-mail News tips
If Clinton Portis can't go Sunday, backup Ladell Betts appears ready to get back on the field.

Betts hasn't played in a month since spraining his knee. But he went through a full practice Thursday and felt good Friday, although he was limited as a precaution.

"I feel pretty good,'' Betts said. "I don't expect it to be a problem.

"I'm very optimistic. Coach (Jim Zorn) can address that better than I can, but right now I feel pretty good about playing.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Portis says he will....

David Moore E-mail News tips ! B
How's that for a tease?

Well, that what Portis did with reporters Friday when he briefly answered questions. The big one: will he play Sunday night?

"It's getting better, but I won't say, 'oh, I'm ready,''' Portis said. "You know, I have until Sunday to make a decision, so that's when I will make it.

"We're going to see how I feel before the game. We're going to find out.''

Portis hasn't practiced all week because of a sprained knee. He was on the field Friday but only to observe. He expects to undergo six more treatments and two massages before the game.

"I have two days left,'' Portis said. "I'm in the training room, trying to get there.''

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, thats interesting. By the sounds of that, I'd bet Portis trys to give it a go.

slick325

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Felix won't be on the field. He is a dynamic player.

I figured Betts would play. Still don't think he is 100% but lets not forget he was once a 1000yd rusher. He can't be taken lightly.

I fully expect to see Portis play Sunday even if he isn't 100% it would be a psychological boost to the 'Skins to have their leader out there.

Dallas will likely see a RB by committee Sunday night: Portis, Betts and Alexander.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The Skins do this every week. Beginning of the week so many people won't play and then by the end of the week they end up on the field.

That is why I said earlier in the week: "I will believe it when I don't see them on the field"

For us on the other hand it is.

Oh, "They look good to go" and then by the end of the week they are "very doubtful"

Rudy

Reaction score
I think the more important injury on the Skins this week is that Samuels is - according to local radio - hurting hard but going to play. Sound familiar? I'd love to see Ware take advantage of that the way teams have been robbing Flozell!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2418050 said:
Portis will play.

Yeap and like I said in the other thread...I would believe he wasn't playing when I saw him out of uniform on Sunday.

slick325

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything related to Santana Moss' hamstring that tightened up on him prior to the Steelers game? I know he was held out most of the 2nd half of that Steelers game but I guess the bye week helped him heal.

thewireman

Reaction score
Wow thats funny, how does a guy like Portis get a grad 2 MCL sprain and miraculously get better before the game while Felix was getting better but somehow is probably not going to play. Its like other players progress but the Boys players degress

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Newsflash: ALL of their guys ARE playing and ALL of our guys ARE playing.

I'll be shocked if I see otherwise because they need to protect their standing over us to better solidify their plsyoff chances. And wee need to climb up that same rung, by climbing over their backs.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2418082 said:
Newsflash: ALL of their guys ARE playing and ALL of our guys ARE playing.

I'll be shocked if I see otherwise because they need to protect their standing over us to better solidify their plsyoff chances. And wee need to climb up that same rung, by climbing over their backs.

Wanna bet Felix won't play? Let's see, he hasn't practiced in 4 weeks now? There is no way he is going to play.

I also say Portis tries to give it a go but won't do much and will take himself out of the game.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Did I not see an interview with Felix this week where he said he was good to go, without limitations?

But that he was sitting out of practices to let it heal as much as possible.

I could swear I did.

We'll see.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I hope this is not a sign of things to come as far as Jones' career goes.

bigE79

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2418193 said:
Did I not see an interview with Felix this week where he said he was good to go, without limitations?

I could swear I did.

We'll see.
You saw right...i heard the same thing.I bet felix plays:star:

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
someone needs to add more pain to Portis' knee if he plays.I dont want anyone to hurt him badly,just add more pain to his knee.:D

aikemirv

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2418193 said:

I could swear I did.

We'll see.

It is an odd situation. Wade being so positive a few days before and so evasive about it a few days later. Felixs interview on Monday left me with a lot of hope. I don't know how you play him without practicing him just to be sneaky though.

bigE79

Reaction score
djdoug;2418333 said:
someone needs to add more pain to Portis' knee if he plays.I dont want anyone to hurt him badly,just add more pain to his knee.:D
Dude...stop reading my mind:laugh2:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This is exactly why I haven't believed, for one moment, that Portis isn't going to play.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I live in Richmond VA, and the paper and media cover the Commanders daily.

I don't believe Portis will even be dressed for the game. On Tuesday, he couldn't even bend his leg. On Wednesday, he got a standing ovation because he could bend his knee slightly at practice, but still walked with a limp. On Thursday, he wasn't out at practice because of additional swelling.

Betts returned to practice on Wednesday for the first time...no contact, but they said he was able to cut on it, wearing a brace. Today, the paper reported that Betts would start if he could play without the brace. Alexander and Cartwright were considered their only healthy backs, but if Betts can play, despite having no contact all these weeks, he'll start...that says a lot about their opinion of Alexander at this point.

I see no way Portis will play....lordy, I just don't want to lose to a Skins team without their RBs.

WR Kelly will not play....Moss will play.

We have to pressure Campbell, and we have to cover Moss and Cooley. Let other guys make a few plays, but do NOT allow Moss or Cooley to make their usual big plays.

That Skins offense gets its swagger and confidence from Portis, Moss, and Cooley.

Our former kicker Suisham is having a probowl-like year...that kid has a huge leg for the long kicks and puts kickoffs in the endzone every game...he's won some close games for them.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2418306 said:
I hope this is not a sign of things to come as far as Jones' career goes.

they said this injuy would take him 4-6 weeks to get back from

I think this would be wk 5