DMN Blog: Pam Oliver clarifies halftime report

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pam Oliver: The most-telling report in the history of sideline reporters?

1:55 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

I've been playing telephone tag with Ms. Oliver for most of the day. I want to get more of her take on what happened inside the Cowboys locker room at halftime on Sunday. But until we talk, I want to get this in print before the end of my blogging shift.

At the start of the second half up in the booth, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were schmoozing about Brooks Bollinger's entrance into the game. Aikman suggested that he thought it looked like Bollinger was going to play in the first half "but circumstances changed that."

Down to you Pam.

"...Well Joe I'm not so sure Wade Phillips had his mind made up about his quarterback change because when I walked off the field with him before the half I asked him point blank, 'Are you going to make a change?' He said, 'Right now I just want to think about it a little bit.' But after he got into the locker room, conferred with his coaches and, under the ever-watchful eye of owner Jerry Jones, a decision was made. I walked out with Wade and I asked him "why?" And he said, "It's obvious, no production from Brad Johnson."

Followed Aikman: "Well, if it was that obvious, he should have been able to make a decision before the half."

This report is open to many interpretations. Here's one: Jerry told Wade it was obvious a change had to be made. I'll check back after I talk to Oliver.

Comments (21) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | E-mail entry

Pam Oliver bucks convention!

10:54 AM Tue, Nov 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

I talked to Pam Oliver yesterday afternoon about her post-halftime report Sunday on Wade Phillips and the Cowboys quarterback situation.

On the way into the halftime locker room, Phillips told Oliver he would have to think about removing Brad Johnson in favor of Brooks Bollinger. On the way out of the locker room, Phillips told Oliver he was going to make the change because it obviously had to be done. Oliver's report made it sound as if Phillips was wishy washy going in and General George Patton coming out.

Cracked Troy Aikman: "Well, if it was that obvious, he should have been able to make a decision before the half."

At halftime, Oliver usually talks to one coach going in to the locker room and the other coming out. That way she can report on both teams. But Oliver wanted a definite answer for her Cowboys report. So she ignored Tom Coughlin and went back to Phillips when the Cowboys left the locker room.

She and Kristi Scales of the Cowboys radio network approached Phillips as soon as he came out the door. Both Oliver and Scales report that when the question was asked again who would be starting the second half, Phillips said Bollinger. When asked why, both agree, Phillips reacted as if it was a dumb question.

Does Oliver believe that locker room visitor Jerry Jones helped Phillips make up his mind? "I'm not in the business of guessing," she said. "But you know Dallas like I do. Clearly somewhere in there was the influence of the owner."

And now you know the rest of the story.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2401000 said:
Aikman: "Well, if it was that obvious, he should have been able to make a decision before the half."
Troy was right.

At seasons end, Wade as to step down immediately. Could it be more obvious?

I wish Jimmy Johnson would change his mind.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I can understand Wade not "anouncing" a decision right at the half. There was no need to at that point.

Now I think the decision should have been made early in the game. Bollinger should have gone in after that Giants' turnover like he was suppose to, it was already clear at that point that Brad couldn't lead the team.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2401024 said:
Troy was right.

At seasons end, Wade as to step down immediately. Could it be more obvious?

I wish Jimmy Johnson would change his mind.

I wish Jerry was 89.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It's clearly obvious Garrett is incapable of shifting our Ferrari offense into 1st gear:bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2:

tunahelper

Reaction score
I hope Jerry made the decision!

Anyone watching that game must of wondered why dip**** didnt do it sooner?

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
What some of you are missing here is the fact that Oliver flat out made stuff up.

ddh33

Reaction score
So basically, Pam Oliver makes it sound like Jerry made the decision. That isn't fair to Wade or Jerry, but it's par for the course. It's commentary disguised as reporting.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So basically Pam made up the stuff about "under the watchful eye", and now she's making assumptions and claming they are obvious facts. Not to mention it doesn't even seem like Wade answered their question about "Why", so they decided to just make up the quote about him saying "Obviously" no production from Brad.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2401045 said:
I can understand Wade not "anouncing" a decision right at the half. There was no need to at that point.

Now I think the decision should have been made early in the game. Bollinger should have gone in after that Giants' turnover like he was suppose to, it was already clear at that point that Brad couldn't lead the team.

Word is bond.

They should have given Bollinger the entire week to prepare for the Giants and started him.

How anyone in the organization though Brad Johnson was going to improve his performance on the road in a hostile environment against that pass rush is mind boggling.

I would have rather have seen Bollinger come out and throw two picks to put us in a hole because at least it was something different and it would told everyone on the team that being inept was not going to be acceptable.

Instead they just crossed their fingers and said a little prayer that Brad Johnson could somehow play like an NFL caliber QB which us fans knew two weeks ago wasn't possible.

Nav22

Reaction score
If I recall correctly... it looked like Brooks was ready to go in after Eli's fumble gave us the ball in the redzone.

But they put Brad back out there because they didn't want Brooks' first action to be in the redzone. Brad subsequently made a decent throw to T.O. who promptly fumbled the ball back to the Giants.

And our next possession was close to the end of the 1st half, so we kept Brad in to run the 2 minute offense.

But to me, it looked like it was obvious that they were ready to hand Brooks the keys and were just waiting for the right moment to do so.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyFan74;2401075 said:
It's clearly obvious Garrett is incapable of shifting our Ferrari offense into 1st gear:bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2:

Especially when the engine isn't even in the car.........what does one REALLY expect of Garrett with Romo out? It's not his fault we have no backup QB worth a ****.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2401075 said:

It's more of a vega with out Romo.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The sheer idiocy of the media is beyond me.

Why the hell would Wade want to announce to the entire world on TV, including the Giants, that he's definitely switching QBs at the half? Doesn't Jason Garrett still run the offense? Isn't Garrett the guy who would know best how changing the QB might change his playcalling? Isn't it wise of any coach, even if the decision is already made in his own mind, to keep it to himself and talk to his coordinators first?

I guess in baseball they should actually answer the media's questions fully and honestly during those between innings interviews they do..."John hasn't been hitting, so the next time he comes up, I'm going to go with a left-handed hitter...I hope they don't get a pitcher warmed up for that."

Come on....dayum. Have you ever heard a coach say he's definitely going to another QB in the second half? I seriously doubt it...they go in, they confer, they let the team know, and the rest of the world, including their opponent, learns about it when they see the guy trot out on the field.

There's plenty to attack this team and this coaching staff for, but for not announcing their strategic move to another QB through the freakin' media at halftime and then reading a lot of crap into it....well, the level of stupidity continues to amaze me.

kmd24

Reaction score
Did Parcells tell the world when he was planning to put Romo in during the second half of the home game against the Giants in 2006?

Of course not. And if Oliver would have managed even to ask the question of Parcells, he would have made her feel stupid for asking.

Phillips gave the same amount of information, but in a nicer way. Considering the treatment he is getting, you have to wonder why he even talks to the media at all.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It was obvious why he didn't change him until forced. He didn't want to hurt lil' brady wady's feelings. He never hurts his players feelings. :bang2:

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I like Pam Oliver, the change should have been made after the first quarter.

dboyz

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2402202 said:
Word is bond.

They should have given Bollinger the entire week to prepare for the Giants and started him.

How anyone in the organization though Brad Johnson was going to improve his performance on the road in a hostile environment against that pass rush is mind boggling.

I would have rather have seen Bollinger come out and throw two picks to put us in a hole because at least it was something different and it would told everyone on the team that being inept was not going to be acceptable.

Instead they just crossed their fingers and said a little prayer that Brad Johnson could somehow play like an NFL caliber QB which us fans knew two weeks ago wasn't possible.

I agree 100%. I can't believe we thought we had a chance with BJ.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL is the for real?

He was about to play anyways and Brad sealed his fate right before the half with a pick.

The watchful eye of Jerry had nothing to do with it on Sunday.

Johnson was on a short leash and thats that.