DMN Blog: Press Coverage

slick325

Reaction score
November 14, 2008
Press coverage
10:53 AM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Todd Archer E-mail News tips

The Commanders had success against Terrell Owens in the first meeting by being physical with him at the line of scrimmage. Shawn Springs did not give him a free release off the line and Owens struggled.

Defensively, the Cowboys used press coverage on just 17 of 50 snaps against the Commanders.

I found it interesting that the Cowboys receivers and corners worked against each other some Thursday in press coverage. Owens said he expects the Commanders to use the same strategy Sunday, and I wonder if the Cowboys want to be physical with Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El so they can't get a free release.

"We've seen a lot of press coverage the last four or five games," coach Wade Phillips said. "It's something that we try to work on. We happened to be doing that drill, but we do it in practice also ... But it also helps our defensive players, too, working on their press technique."

Jake0

Reaction score
cool, takes us 10 weeks into the regular season to work on press heavily in practice. Better late than never I guess.

Smith22

Reaction score
I think having a healthy Romo paired with Williams and Owens will decrease the amount of press coverage we face. Maybe not this week, but give them a few weeks to get some consistentcy and teams will start playing off the WRs.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Unless you're actually going to call for them to DO IT in a game, Wade, then it really doesn't matter how much it helps your corners.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, that was interesting in the PC. Wade also made some little comment that having Newman back will let us do some things we haven't been doing as much. I don't know what that means, if anything, but maybe more bump and run?

khiladi

Reaction score
slick325;2417760 said:
November 14, 2008
Press coverage
10:53 AM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Todd Archer E-mail News tips

The Commanders had success against Terrell Owens in the first meeting by being physical with him at the line of scrimmage. Shawn Springs did not give him a free release off the line and Owens struggled.

Defensively, the Cowboys used press coverage on just 17 of 50 snaps against the Commanders.

I found it interesting that the Cowboys receivers and corners worked against each other some Thursday in press coverage. Owens said he expects the Commanders to use the same strategy Sunday, and I wonder if the Cowboys want to be physical with Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El so they can't get a free release.

"We've seen a lot of press coverage the last four or five games," coach Wade Phillips said. "It's something that we try to work on. We happened to be doing that drill, but we do it in practice also ... But it also helps our defensive players, too, working on their press technique."

You mean the Dallas Cowboys defense should play press coverage, instead of giving the underneath to "Mr. Dink-and-Dunk" Jason Campbell all day long, so the Commanders won't eat up the TOP like they did last time, Wade? And so our our defense won't tire and allow Portis to run all over us the third and fourth quarter? Why not have the defensive players practice press coverage so they can alos play it, instead of just having them simulate what other teams do> If you admit it has been effective for other teams, then why isn't your defense doing it?
Also, why not try blitzing and generating pressure early in the game Wade, not when your trying to make 'something happen'?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2417775 said:
Yeah, that was interesting in the PC. Wade also made some little comment that having Newman back will let us do some things we haven't been doing as much. I don't know what that means, if anything, but maybe more bump and run?
It could mean anything scheme-wise, CL, but I think people kinda underestimate how the team is supposed to perform when you're tapping into your bowels of your depth-chart.

Folks still want pro-bowl level play from non-pro bowl-level players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2417775 said:

I was thinking that maybe they would go ahead with the plan of lining Henry up against opposing TE's like they were working on in training camp.

I'm thinking a nickel defense of Newman and Jenkins at the corners with Scandrick in the slot and Henry and Hamlin playing safety looks good.

Smith22

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417782 said:
It could mean anything scheme-wise, CL, but I think people kinda underestimate how the team is supposed to perform when you're tapping into your bowels of your depth-chart.

The Ravens have SIXTEEN players on IR this year. 16! They still crush on run defense and they play every game on defense with a level on INTENSITY that I have never seen from our guys. Both of the corners on the Ravens have missed A LOT of time this year as well.

Sooner or later, we have to start drafting guys that play with a sense of urgency. We need players that don't seem so confused and lost on defense.

Smith22

Reaction score
The Steelers are another example as well. If you are going to play the 3-4, play a more physical, smash mouth type defense that the Steelers bring.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417782 said:

Oh, you know you're preaching to the choir on that one. ;)

stasheroo;2417785 said:
I was thinking that maybe they would go ahead with the plan of lining Henry up against opposing TE's like they were working on in training camp.

I'm thinking a nickel defense of Newman and Jenkins at the corners with Scandrick in the slot and Henry and Hamlin playing safety looks good.
Good call, I've been hoping we'd do that and put Henry on Cooley. Seems to me that he's hurt us as much as Moss has.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22;2417793 said:
The Ravens have SIXTEEN players on IR this year. 16! They still crush on run defense and they play every game on defense with a level on INTENSITY that I have never seen from our guys. Both of the corners on the Ravens have missed A LOT of time this year as well.

Sooner or later, we have to start drafting guys that play with a sense of urgency. We need players that don't seem so confused and lost on defense.
I've seen the 'boys play with intensity this year and STILL make boneheaded mistakes.

You can be intense as all get out. With Ratliff doing his he-man thing after a sack. Ware does his one leg stump after a sack. Bradie throwing up his Que-dawg sign after a big tackle. Guys doing the side-bump thing after a big play. These guys play hard, but not smart.

It's all about execution. That's not on the coaches. That's on the players.

Smith22

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417802 said:
I've seen the 'boys play with intensity this year and STILL make boneheaded mistakes.

You can be intense as all get out. With Ratliff doing his he-man thing after a sack. Ware does his one leg stump after a sack. Bradie throwing up his Que-dawg sign after a big tackle. Guys doing the side-bump thing after a big play. These guys play hard, but not smart.

I agree that our players play dumb. Sooner or later, we need to start drafting players that don't have such a hard time playing intense, smart football. As far as injuries are concerned, I'm tired of that excuse. We have a 53 man roster for a reason. Every team has injuries, but most seem to deal with them easier than we do.

See the Ravens of this year for example. How about the Seahags when they beat us in the playoffs with CB's they signed off the street. The Giants last year managed to survive despite being injured all year in the secondary. Injuries happen. Players need to step up when they happen.

khiladi

Reaction score
Smith22;2417810 said:
I agree that our players play dumb. Sooner or later, we need to start drafting players that don't have such a hard time playing intense, smart football. As far as injuries are concerned, I'm tired of that excuse. We have a 53 man roster for a reason. Every team has injuries, but most seem to deal with them easier than we do.

See the Ravens of this year for example. How about the Seahags when they beat us in the playoffs with CB's they signed off the street. The Giants last year managed to survive despite being injured all year in the secondary. Injuries happen. Players need to step up when they happen.

Maybe players make bone-headed mistakes because their coaches are making them do things that are clearly not their 'forte'....

Smith22

Reaction score
khiladi;2417817 said:
Maybe players make bone-headed mistakes because their coaches are making them do things that are clearly not their 'forte'....

We had a situation a few weeks back that sums up the way this season has unfolded.

3rd and 1/2 yard, we get a penalty pre-snap and now face 3rd and 5 1/2. Witten catches the ball just short of the 1st down. We face 4th and 1/2 yard. We line up and get yet another penalty pre-snap. We now face 4th and 5 1/2 yards and I believe we punted.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2417802 said:

I look at it this way.

Coaches are essentially 'teachers' and the players their 'students'.

The 'curriculum' may be different, but the roles are essentially the same. One side teaches and the other impliments what they have learned.

And if the 'students' are 'stupid' or 'unprepared' on 'test day', is that not a reflection of the job the 'teachers' are or aren't doing?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2417878 said:
I look at it this way.

Coaches are essentially 'teachers' and the players their 'students'.

The 'curriculum' may be different, but the roles are essentially the same. One side teaches and the other impliments what they have learned.

And if the 'students' are 'stupid' or 'unprepared' on 'test day', is that not a reflection of the job the 'teachers' are or aren't doing?
Not in my opinion.

Teachers can deliver information in a multitude of ways and a student still may not get it.

Prime example is Flozell. Flozell has had several OL "teachers" and yet we can still count on him false starting, at least once a game. Would you put that on the coach or the player?

Smith22

Reaction score
stasheroo;2417878 said:

Depends. People learn different ways. Some people can just read a book and/or instructions and be really efficient at things. Others need to actually do something once themselves and then they are OK. Others just need to hear something once and it sticks. "test day" Some people struggle under pressure, like with tests.

Then you have others who think they know it all and don't care to listen.....

Is that the teachers fault?