DMN Blog: Roger Goodell stopped by Valley Ranch

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4:38 PM Wed, Oct 08, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Wade Phillips was a few minutes late to his afternoon press conference, because Roger Goodell stopped by Valley Ranch to visit with the Cowboys.

No need to be alarmed. Sheriff Goodell didn't come down here to with a warrant for any of the Cowboys he's gotten to know so well over the last couple years. Matter of fact, Tank Johnson gave his good pal a standing ovation at the end of Goodell's talk to the team about league issues such as the collective bargaining agreement.

"He and Roger are buddies," Phillips said. "He calls him Roger. I call him Commissioner Goodell."

Goodell didn't chat with the Valley Ranch media, but Tom Orsborn of the San Antonio Express-News chatted with him in the Alamo City at a luncheon today. Follow the jump to see what the commish had to say about Adam "Pacman" Jones and other players who have been suspended.

On Pacman:

"Adam knows how much emphasis I put on making sure that he makes good choices going forward, that he avoids situations where he can reflect poorly on himself, the Cowboys or the NFL. So far he seems to have been able to do that very effectively. I am supportive of him and am hopeful that he will be able to do that for the rest of his life. I am hoping he will not only be a great NFL player but he will continue to do the right things so he can lead a productive life off the field as well."

On whether he talks regularly with players who have been reinstated:

"Yes. I am rooting for them. This whole policy is not to end careers, but to extend careers. Give people a chance to conduct themselves in a way that we think is appropriate, give them resources to make better deisions and hopefully they will have long careers."

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Biggest beef with Goodell, he cut the spygate investigation. There was A LOT more than what the fans were led to believe.

High powered cameras set up in an apartment complex across from the Panthers practice, shady business.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He must have been there because of the Pac incident .... no matter what they try and say.

Prolly talked the the Guard and Pac and the witnesses.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Commissioner Goodell visits Cowboys, gets standings ovation

05:58 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 8, 2008
IRVING -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell got quite a reception when he visited the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday.

"Tank (Johnson) gave him a standing ovation," coach Wade Phillips said. "He and Roger are buddies now. He calls him Roger, I call him Commissioner Goodell."

Goodell stopped by to see the Cowboys after speaking to business leaders in San Antonio earlier in the day. He addressed the team after its practice.

Johnson missed the first eight games last season while serving an NFL suspension for off-field issues. The nose tackle has since said he speaks regularly to Goodell.

Also in the locker room was cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, who served a 17-month suspension before Goodell fully reinstated him before the season opener.

Phillips said he didn't know if Goodell and Jones met separately.

"He talked to everyone," Phillips said. "He just had some things to say to the players about the league overall and kind of what's going on, and any questions that they had. And just to come by and say hello to everybody."

Goodell wasn't made available to reporters while he was at the Valley Ranch facility. The commissioner's visit came after the media had their availability with players.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/wfaa/stories/wfaa081008_ac_goodell.f361ce0a.html

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys | Adam Jones limited during practice Wednesday
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:15:53 -0700

Nicholas J. Cagikimo, of the Waco Free Press, reports Dallas Cowboys Adam Jones (inverted testicles) was limited during practice Wednesday, Oct. 6. He is expected to play in the team's Week 6 game and he should self heal as soon as Commisioner Roger Goodel leaves Dallas.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2319574 said:
On Pacman:

"Adam knows how much emphasis I put on making sure that he makes good choices going forward, that he avoids situations where he can reflect poorly on himself, the Cowboys or the NFL. So far he seems to have been able to do that very effectively. I am supportive of him and am hopeful that he will be able to do that for the rest of his life. I am hoping he will not only be a great NFL player but he will continue to do the right things so he can lead a productive life off the field as well."
I would just like to point out that he said this after the alleged fight last night.

It is entirely possible Pacman did not get himself in any more hot water with the Commish. It is also possible the Commish did not know.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Checking Adams' digs for any traces of thongs, paisties and such..........heh.

"I'm looking at a bill here from Kinkos. Why did you have 5000 copies of a dollar bill made? Hm?"

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Seven;2319776 said:
Checking Adams' digs for any traces of thongs, paisties and such..........heh.

"I'm looking at a bill here from Kinkos. Why did you have 5000 copies of a dollar bill made? Hm?"

Correction. You do not go and make copies of dollar bills. That is illegal. When you make it rain. You LITERALLY make it rain WITH actual dollar bills.

I can imagine a white guy copying a dollar bill 5000x, but no self respecting brother would ever throw copies up into the air and claim to be making it rain.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I find it very curious that the Commish was here today and Pac's alleged fight happened last night... and yet Goodell has nothing but positives to say for Jones.

Something doesn't seem right...

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Nors;2319747 said:
Cowboys | Adam Jones limited during practice Wednesday
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:15:53 -0700

Nicholas J. Cagikimo, of the Waco Free Press, reports Dallas Cowboys Adam Jones (inverted testicles) was limited during practice Wednesday, Oct. 6. He is expected to play in the team's Week 6 game and he should self heal as soon as Commisioner Roger Goodel leaves Dallas.

I don't even want to know hw that happen